Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 14:31   #901

Boat: Cape Dory 33
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Your right, good info, as long as you get the 11 essential amino acids your body cant make it can make what ever it needs in this regard. Do you make your own almond milk? I have turned into a, make it myself person, because of the "added ingredients" in most mass produced products many added for the processing equipment others for customer appeal like man made colorings and flavors. I only wish real foods in my diet.
Thanks, I think I do pretty well. I wish it were easier to get only "real foods," but it can be challenging if you don't make absolutely everything yourself.

I have not tried to make my own almond milk. Since we don't eat much processed food it seems I spend a great deal of time cooking. I enjoy it, but it sure is time consuming so I do make some.compromises and one of them is milks. The other thing I compromise on is hummus. I really tried making my own but just couldn't turn out one I like, and I love good hummus. Unfortunately this is also a compromise in the oil department because the hummus I love, which I get from the fresh olive bar at Wegman's, has olive oil in it. Like I said, I am not dogmatic, just careful.

I would love to try making my own pastas. Maybe when we retire and I have more time.
Old 17-07-2015, 14:36   #902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Sailor G, I have been patiently waiting for both fresh apricots and radicchio to trial this recipe. I hit jackpot yesterday!

As usual, I could not resist having a little play with the ingredients . I added half a dozen dried apricots, a handful of walnuts and a tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar to the dressing and pureed it, giving an intensely apricot flavoured dressing to balance he slight bitterness of the radicchio. I also added wedges of red onion to give it some crunch. A fantastic, flavour rich summer salad .

WILD RICE SALAD WITH RADICCHIO, APRICOTS & WALNUTS

1 cup wild rice cooked with a stock cube, drained and cooled
1 small head radicchio, sliced into thin ribbons
½ cup sliced fresh apricots
½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs or greens (such as parsley, watercress, spinach)
I small red onion cut in wedges

Dressing:
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
6 dried apricots
Handful walnuts
½ teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

So glad you found the evasive apricots! The season is so short here that it's gone before I get my fill. I also tweak recipes to how I am feeling that day. Additions & substitutions are fun and can change the dish to something new and often better. White balsamic sounds amazing. I will have to try it!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 14:40   #903

I also love hummus also. Pasta is so easy to make and once you do its hard to go back to eating the packaged kind. Almond, soy milk has many added ingredients to make it more palatable and i never came up with a recipe i liked. However, i used so little it didn't really matter. Those secret ingredients in these kind of products are often not very good for our bodies.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 14:41   #904
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Thanks, I think I do pretty well. I wish it were easier to get only "real foods," but it can be challenging if you don't make absolutely everything yourself.

I have not tried to make my own almond milk. Since we don't eat much processed food it seems I spend a great deal of time cooking. I enjoy it, but it sure is time consuming so I do make some.compromises and one of them is milks. The other thing I compromise on is hummus. I really tried making my own but just couldn't turn out one I like, and I love good hummus. Unfortunately this is also a compromise in the oil department because the hummus I love, which I get from the fresh olive bar at Wegman's, has olive oil in it. Like I said, I am not dogmatic, just careful.

I would love to try making my own pastas. Maybe when we retire and I have more time.
For me, its kinda like this. It depends on your genetics and weaknesses.
Everyone dies. People who eat 'healthy' dont live any longer than people who dont. I have patients who smoke and do drugs and drink, and their body is A+ in examination and they live a long time. Some die because their susceptibility and genetics dont withstand the abuse.

Getting hung up on 'everything natural" actually can be a detriment because there is no longer an immunity to the world around us.

Almond milk is not a 'natural' product. Its a processed food. Its fine to do and enjoy, but is not healthier for it.

Life is what it is. If a specific disorder needs food avoidance, then so be it. Its an imbalance in the vitality of that individual.

Not a criticism. Just an observation. Health is being to eat in moderation ANYTHING and not have a detrius. However, GMO and hormones have made the situation a little darker.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 14:56   #905

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post

Within my dietary guidelines I will say I am comfortable with a fudge factor. Most things are negotiable, within some fairly strict parameters. Where the strict parameters come in is with the total fat grams over the course of the day, which must remain below 50 grams total fat per day and under 15 grams saturated fat. (This is actually pretty liberal.)

This is the most interesting discussion. I also am keeping to a low fat diet bc of weight from taking hydrocortisone to treat my Addison's Disease. It's pretty rare-the most well known is President JF Kennedy & his son John. Thanks to them there is decent research on the disease.

That is quite liberal. I try to keep to 40 grams fat and 15 grams saturated. I have trouble keeping to 40 (and don't care as long as more healthy fats put me over & not processed) but seldom (can't remember ever) hitting the sat. fat.

Medical docs have trouble offering anything not researched completely to keep them out of trouble-lawsuits. Food vitamin & mineral amounts vary so much depending on where they were grown so research is tough. And pharmaceutical reps wine, dine & send them to "conferences" in tropical locations to learn about the medicines. So they subscribe the medicines to do more. So it ends up being the responsibility of the patient to research and find what works best for them. My doc always wants to increase my dosage of one of my meds but I know it removes calcium from my bones so I don't-and he's surprisingly ok with it.

I appreciate your sharing your wealth of information. This helps us all!

Gloria
Old 17-07-2015, 15:01   #906

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
For me, its kinda like this. It depends on your genetics and weaknesses.
Everyone dies. People who eat 'healthy' dont live any longer than people who dont. I have patients who smoke and do drugs and drink, and their body is A+ in examination and they live a long time. Some die because their susceptibility and genetics dont withstand the abuse.

Getting hung up on 'everything natural" actually can be a detriment because there is no longer an immunity to the world around us.

Almond milk is not a 'natural' product. Its a processed food. Its fine to do and enjoy, but is not healthier for it.

Life is what it is. If a specific disorder needs food avoidance, then so be it. Its an imbalance in the vitality of that individual.

Not a criticism. Just an observation. Health is being to eat in moderation ANYTHING and not have a detrius. However, GMO and hormones have made the situation a little darker.
None of us are born knowing our individual biological weaknesses. To ingest, questionable substances like GMO's and manmade chemicals that we are told won't hurt is the same as playing Russian roulette. At one time radium was approved for human use in the USA and when it was banned in foods it was still allowed in spas and baths for a number of years. Radium like modern food additives won't kill you overnight but may push your weakness pass the point of no return.
I personally have no desire to shorten my life just for convenience and profit for Monsanto etc. A good friend long since gone, a veteran of General Custers old regiment drank, smoked in moderation until he was over 100. Think he made 105-7? He was a wiry old guy I went fishing with as a teenager. Can't help but wonder how long Calvin would have lived if he had not drank smoked. God rest his soul.
Old 17-07-2015, 15:04   #907
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
None of us are born knowing our individual biological weaknesses. To ingest, questionable substances like GMO's and manmade chemicals that we are told won't hurt is the same as playing Russian roulette. At one time radium was approved for human use in the USA and when it was banned in foods it was still allowed in spas and baths for a number of years. Radium like modern food additives won't kill you overnight but may push your weakness pass the point of no return.
I personally have no desire to shorten my life just for convenience and profit for Monsanto etc. A good friend long since gone, a veteran of General Custers old regiment drank, smoked in moderation until he was over 100. Think he made 105-7? He was a wiry old guy I went fishing with as a teenager. Can't help but wonder how long Calvin would have lived if he had not drank smoked. God rest his soul.
I think I said all that.
Old 17-07-2015, 15:17   #908
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
This is the most interesting discussion. I also am keeping to a low fat diet bc of weight from taking hydrocortisone to treat my Addison's Disease. It's pretty rare-the most well known is President JF Kennedy & his son John. Thanks to them there is decent research on the disease.

That is quite liberal. I try to keep to 40 grams fat and 15 grams saturated. I have trouble keeping to 40 (and don't care as long as more healthy fats put me over & not processed) but seldom (can't remember ever) hitting the sat. fat.

Medical docs have trouble offering anything not researched completely to keep them out of trouble-lawsuits. Food vitamin & mineral amounts vary so much depending on where they were grown so research is tough. And pharmaceutical reps wine, dine & send them to "conferences" in tropical locations to learn about the medicines. So they subscribe the medicines to do more. So it ends up being the responsibility of the patient to research and find what works best for them. My doc always wants to increase my dosage of one of my meds but I know it removes calcium from my bones so I don't-and he's surprisingly ok with it.

I appreciate your sharing your wealth of information. This helps us all!

Gloria
Its not the same in Europe for those medics who want to go the less drugs route.

I spend most of my time reducing and finding alternatives.
Old 17-07-2015, 15:27   #909

pretty much. Sometimes it helps people understand if presented in different words.
Old 18-07-2015, 19:56   #910

Quote:
:.

bfloyd~
I did see your message and tried to respond but cannot leave a message because you are so popular (there are too many messages-LOL). I was not able to open the link from AOL unless I have an account-which I can't do because I am not where I can get phone service. So sorry for all of the issues but I appreciate the try
Old 18-07-2015, 21:53   #911
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Early start for me today. 4.15am.
I dont usually do breakfast however-this morning was quesadilla with bacon and egg and mushrooms.

I filled 2 tortilla with cheese, onion and some chili. I fried some bacon and placed on top of the quesadilla and put in hot oven on a stone.

Scrambled some eggs.

When I pulled the cooked Quesadilla out of the oven, it was cut into slices and the scrambled eggs and mushrooms put on the plate with it.

Nice!
Old 19-07-2015, 03:09   #912

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Early start for me today. 4.15am.
I dont usually do breakfast however-this morning was quesadilla with bacon and egg and mushrooms.

I filled 2 tortilla with cheese, onion and some chili. I fried some bacon and placed on top of the quesadilla and put in hot oven on a stone.

Scrambled some eggs.

When I pulled the cooked Quesadilla out of the oven, it was cut into slices and the scrambled eggs and mushrooms put on the plate with it.

Nice!
Mmmmmhmmmm. Yes, sounds nice. However doesn't sound vegan as I have come to understand it. ...perhaps you can enlighten me?????

Ann
Old 19-07-2015, 03:30   #913
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Mmmmmhmmmm. Yes, sounds nice. However doesn't sound vegan as I have come to understand it. ...perhaps you can enlighten me?????

Ann
Yes I can Miss Ann!!

the title of the thread does not mention the recipes have to be vegan.

Just mentions that Vegans have an apparent advantage for whatever reason......(Personally I think they would be starving somewhere but.....)

Old 19-07-2015, 03:42   #914

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Yes I can Miss Ann!!

the title of the thread does not mention the recipes have to be vegan.

Just mentions that Vegans have an apparent advantage for whatever reason......(Personally I think they would be starving somewhere but.....)

Mmmm. Yes, I remember being exposed to some vegetarians one time, we used to joke about how they craved ice cream, thought it had to do with low blood sugar, and their wanting a jolt of sugar! How cynical.

Ann
Old 19-07-2015, 04:31   #915
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Mmmm. Yes, I remember being exposed to some vegetarians one time, we used to joke about how they craved ice cream, thought it had to do with low blood sugar, and their wanting a jolt of sugar! How cynical.

Ann
This has been one of the best recipe threads in a long time. SWL did a great job of presenting great meal ideas.

I usually have one salad a day of some sort, I love vegetables. I also like them alongside my meat of choice or fish. In the late 70/80s, when I was in Delhi, the food there was vegetarian. I did not crave meat for a while but eventually the smell of cooking lamb was too much.

All things in harmony.