Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 17-07-2015, 14:31   #901
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Your right, good info, as long as you get the 11 essential amino acids your body cant make it can make what ever it needs in this regard. Do you make your own almond milk? I have turned into a, make it myself person, because of the "added ingredients" in most mass produced products many added for the processing equipment others for customer appeal like man made colorings and flavors. I only wish real foods in my diet.
Thanks, I think I do pretty well. I wish it were easier to get only "real foods," but it can be challenging if you don't make absolutely everything yourself.

I have not tried to make my own almond milk. Since we don't eat much processed food it seems I spend a great deal of time cooking. I enjoy it, but it sure is time consuming so I do make some.compromises and one of them is milks. The other thing I compromise on is hummus. I really tried making my own but just couldn't turn out one I like, and I love good hummus. Unfortunately this is also a compromise in the oil department because the hummus I love, which I get from the fresh olive bar at Wegman's, has olive oil in it. Like I said, I am not dogmatic, just careful.

I would love to try making my own pastas. Maybe when we retire and I have more time.
__________________

__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 14:36   #902
Registered User
 
Sailor g's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,129
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Sailor G, I have been patiently waiting for both fresh apricots and radicchio to trial this recipe. I hit jackpot yesterday!

As usual, I could not resist having a little play with the ingredients . I added half a dozen dried apricots, a handful of walnuts and a tablespoon of white balsamic vinegar to the dressing and pureed it, giving an intensely apricot flavoured dressing to balance he slight bitterness of the radicchio. I also added wedges of red onion to give it some crunch. A fantastic, flavour rich summer salad .

WILD RICE SALAD WITH RADICCHIO, APRICOTS & WALNUTS

1 cup wild rice cooked with a stock cube, drained and cooled
1 small head radicchio, sliced into thin ribbons
cup sliced fresh apricots
cup chopped toasted walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs or greens (such as parsley, watercress, spinach)
I small red onion cut in wedges

Dressing:
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
6 dried apricots
Handful walnuts
teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

So glad you found the evasive apricots! The season is so short here that it's gone before I get my fill. I also tweak recipes to how I am feeling that day. Additions & substitutions are fun and can change the dish to something new and often better. White balsamic sounds amazing. I will have to try it!
__________________

__________________
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 14:40   #903
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

I also love hummus also. Pasta is so easy to make and once you do its hard to go back to eating the packaged kind. Almond, soy milk has many added ingredients to make it more palatable and i never came up with a recipe i liked. However, i used so little it didn't really matter. Those secret ingredients in these kind of products are often not very good for our bodies.
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 14:41   #904
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Thanks, I think I do pretty well. I wish it were easier to get only "real foods," but it can be challenging if you don't make absolutely everything yourself.

I have not tried to make my own almond milk. Since we don't eat much processed food it seems I spend a great deal of time cooking. I enjoy it, but it sure is time consuming so I do make some.compromises and one of them is milks. The other thing I compromise on is hummus. I really tried making my own but just couldn't turn out one I like, and I love good hummus. Unfortunately this is also a compromise in the oil department because the hummus I love, which I get from the fresh olive bar at Wegman's, has olive oil in it. Like I said, I am not dogmatic, just careful.

I would love to try making my own pastas. Maybe when we retire and I have more time.
For me, its kinda like this. It depends on your genetics and weaknesses.
Everyone dies. People who eat 'healthy' dont live any longer than people who dont. I have patients who smoke and do drugs and drink, and their body is A+ in examination and they live a long time. Some die because their susceptibility and genetics dont withstand the abuse.

Getting hung up on 'everything natural" actually can be a detriment because there is no longer an immunity to the world around us.

Almond milk is not a 'natural' product. Its a processed food. Its fine to do and enjoy, but is not healthier for it.

Life is what it is. If a specific disorder needs food avoidance, then so be it. Its an imbalance in the vitality of that individual.

Not a criticism. Just an observation. Health is being to eat in moderation ANYTHING and not have a detrius. However, GMO and hormones have made the situation a little darker.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 14:56   #905
Registered User
 
Sailor g's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,129
Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post


Within my dietary guidelines I will say I am comfortable with a fudge factor. Most things are negotiable, within some fairly strict parameters. Where the strict parameters come in is with the total fat grams over the course of the day, which must remain below 50 grams total fat per day and under 15 grams saturated fat. (This is actually pretty liberal.)

This is the most interesting discussion. I also am keeping to a low fat diet bc of weight from taking hydrocortisone to treat my Addison's Disease. It's pretty rare-the most well known is President JF Kennedy & his son John. Thanks to them there is decent research on the disease.

That is quite liberal. I try to keep to 40 grams fat and 15 grams saturated. I have trouble keeping to 40 (and don't care as long as more healthy fats put me over & not processed) but seldom (can't remember ever) hitting the sat. fat.

Medical docs have trouble offering anything not researched completely to keep them out of trouble-lawsuits. Food vitamin & mineral amounts vary so much depending on where they were grown so research is tough. And pharmaceutical reps wine, dine & send them to "conferences" in tropical locations to learn about the medicines. So they subscribe the medicines to do more. So it ends up being the responsibility of the patient to research and find what works best for them. My doc always wants to increase my dosage of one of my meds but I know it removes calcium from my bones so I don't-and he's surprisingly ok with it.

I appreciate your sharing your wealth of information. This helps us all!

Gloria
__________________
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 15:01   #906
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
For me, its kinda like this. It depends on your genetics and weaknesses.
Everyone dies. People who eat 'healthy' dont live any longer than people who dont. I have patients who smoke and do drugs and drink, and their body is A+ in examination and they live a long time. Some die because their susceptibility and genetics dont withstand the abuse.

Getting hung up on 'everything natural" actually can be a detriment because there is no longer an immunity to the world around us.

Almond milk is not a 'natural' product. Its a processed food. Its fine to do and enjoy, but is not healthier for it.

Life is what it is. If a specific disorder needs food avoidance, then so be it. Its an imbalance in the vitality of that individual.

Not a criticism. Just an observation. Health is being to eat in moderation ANYTHING and not have a detrius. However, GMO and hormones have made the situation a little darker.
None of us are born knowing our individual biological weaknesses. To ingest, questionable substances like GMO's and manmade chemicals that we are told won't hurt is the same as playing Russian roulette. At one time radium was approved for human use in the USA and when it was banned in foods it was still allowed in spas and baths for a number of years. Radium like modern food additives won't kill you overnight but may push your weakness pass the point of no return.
I personally have no desire to shorten my life just for convenience and profit for Monsanto etc. A good friend long since gone, a veteran of General Custers old regiment drank, smoked in moderation until he was over 100. Think he made 105-7? He was a wiry old guy I went fishing with as a teenager. Can't help but wonder how long Calvin would have lived if he had not drank smoked. God rest his soul.
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 15:04   #907
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
None of us are born knowing our individual biological weaknesses. To ingest, questionable substances like GMO's and manmade chemicals that we are told won't hurt is the same as playing Russian roulette. At one time radium was approved for human use in the USA and when it was banned in foods it was still allowed in spas and baths for a number of years. Radium like modern food additives won't kill you overnight but may push your weakness pass the point of no return.
I personally have no desire to shorten my life just for convenience and profit for Monsanto etc. A good friend long since gone, a veteran of General Custers old regiment drank, smoked in moderation until he was over 100. Think he made 105-7? He was a wiry old guy I went fishing with as a teenager. Can't help but wonder how long Calvin would have lived if he had not drank smoked. God rest his soul.
I think I said all that.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 15:17   #908
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
This is the most interesting discussion. I also am keeping to a low fat diet bc of weight from taking hydrocortisone to treat my Addison's Disease. It's pretty rare-the most well known is President JF Kennedy & his son John. Thanks to them there is decent research on the disease.

That is quite liberal. I try to keep to 40 grams fat and 15 grams saturated. I have trouble keeping to 40 (and don't care as long as more healthy fats put me over & not processed) but seldom (can't remember ever) hitting the sat. fat.

Medical docs have trouble offering anything not researched completely to keep them out of trouble-lawsuits. Food vitamin & mineral amounts vary so much depending on where they were grown so research is tough. And pharmaceutical reps wine, dine & send them to "conferences" in tropical locations to learn about the medicines. So they subscribe the medicines to do more. So it ends up being the responsibility of the patient to research and find what works best for them. My doc always wants to increase my dosage of one of my meds but I know it removes calcium from my bones so I don't-and he's surprisingly ok with it.

I appreciate your sharing your wealth of information. This helps us all!

Gloria
Its not the same in Europe for those medics who want to go the less drugs route.

I spend most of my time reducing and finding alternatives.
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 15:27   #909
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

pretty much. Sometimes it helps people understand if presented in different words.
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 19:56   #910
Registered User
 
Sailor g's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,129
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
:.

bfloyd~
I did see your message and tried to respond but cannot leave a message because you are so popular (there are too many messages-LOL). I was not able to open the link from AOL unless I have an account-which I can't do because I am not where I can get phone service. So sorry for all of the issues but I appreciate the try
__________________
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 21:53   #911
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Early start for me today. 4.15am.
I dont usually do breakfast however-this morning was quesadilla with bacon and egg and mushrooms.

I filled 2 tortilla with cheese, onion and some chili. I fried some bacon and placed on top of the quesadilla and put in hot oven on a stone.

Scrambled some eggs.

When I pulled the cooked Quesadilla out of the oven, it was cut into slices and the scrambled eggs and mushrooms put on the plate with it.

Nice!
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 03:09   #912
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 9,204
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Early start for me today. 4.15am.
I dont usually do breakfast however-this morning was quesadilla with bacon and egg and mushrooms.

I filled 2 tortilla with cheese, onion and some chili. I fried some bacon and placed on top of the quesadilla and put in hot oven on a stone.

Scrambled some eggs.

When I pulled the cooked Quesadilla out of the oven, it was cut into slices and the scrambled eggs and mushrooms put on the plate with it.

Nice!
Mmmmmhmmmm. Yes, sounds nice. However doesn't sound vegan as I have come to understand it. ...perhaps you can enlighten me?????

Ann
__________________
Long term cruiser, with Jim, aboard US yacht Insatiable II

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 03:30   #913
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Mmmmmhmmmm. Yes, sounds nice. However doesn't sound vegan as I have come to understand it. ...perhaps you can enlighten me?????

Ann
Yes I can Miss Ann!!

the title of the thread does not mention the recipes have to be vegan.

Just mentions that Vegans have an apparent advantage for whatever reason......(Personally I think they would be starving somewhere but.....)

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 03:42   #914
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 9,204
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Yes I can Miss Ann!!

the title of the thread does not mention the recipes have to be vegan.

Just mentions that Vegans have an apparent advantage for whatever reason......(Personally I think they would be starving somewhere but.....)

Mmmm. Yes, I remember being exposed to some vegetarians one time, we used to joke about how they craved ice cream, thought it had to do with low blood sugar, and their wanting a jolt of sugar! How cynical.

Ann
__________________
Long term cruiser, with Jim, aboard US yacht Insatiable II

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 04:31   #915
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,463
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Mmmm. Yes, I remember being exposed to some vegetarians one time, we used to joke about how they craved ice cream, thought it had to do with low blood sugar, and their wanting a jolt of sugar! How cynical.

Ann
This has been one of the best recipe threads in a long time. SWL did a great job of presenting great meal ideas.

I usually have one salad a day of some sort, I love vegetables. I also like them alongside my meat of choice or fish. In the late 70/80s, when I was in Delhi, the food there was vegetarian. I did not crave meat for a while but eventually the smell of cooking lamb was too much.

All things in harmony.
__________________

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brunswick closes another plant sneuman Dollars & Cents 3 25-03-2008 12:39
Plant Visit in Ximan China michael201 Monohull Sailboats 7 21-06-2007 19:32


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.