Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2015, 19:34   #736

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

Thanks for these! I love stir fry and love curries.

Seaworthy Lass~ Stir fry is so great because you can really use whatever you have left over in the frig and it comes out great! Can't wait to try this one.

Buzzman~ I use curry in some recipes but have never made an actual Thai curry. This one sounds really good-I love the heat so will have to try it.

I love potato curry but have not tried to make it. It seems like they use coconut milk or something. Any ideas?
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 19:55   #737

Boat: Still building
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Add a can of coconut cream to my previous recipe for an alternative. Add it in last and stir briefly, but serve with rice to absorb the juices.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 21:33   #738

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post

I make a Thai-style Green Ginger Curry that packs a punch.
Oh, that sounds mouthwatering! Thanks for posting that. I don't get bok choy, but will try some of the local greens with this.

I miss Thai flavours. Although ginger is available eveywhere, I rarely come across fresh coriander and have never seen lemongrass here in Greece, so I will need to make a very modified version for now .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:05   #739
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Woks & stir fry...
Most (almost all) gas burners do not have enough heat to get and keep the wok hot enough while cooking. Even the fancy wok burners on your upmarket domestic cookers doesn't cut the wasabi.

I forget the number of megajoules you need but it is big number

I currently use a portable 4 burner cast iron gas ring designed for boiling up large crab/prawn pots but it means I have to go the shed whenever we stir fry at home
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:34   #740
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

I miss Thai flavours. Although ginger is available eveywhere, I rarely come across fresh coriander and have never seen lemongrass here in Greece, so I will need to make a very modified version for now .

SWL
I use to struggle getting coriander until I learnt that the Greek is 'koliandros', it's now available almost everywhere I ask for it - 'ehis koliandros?' usually gets an afirmative response!

Amazingly, Crete is a major producer and exporter of coriander, but the Cretans (and Greeks in general) almost never use it in their cooking!
Old 05-05-2015, 19:50   #741

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
I use to struggle getting coriander until I learnt that the Greek is 'koliandros', it's now available almost everywhere I ask for it - 'ehis koliandros?' usually gets an afirmative response!
I struggled with this the first time I went to the USA, until I learned that over there "coriander" is strictly coriander seeds, but if you want fresh coriander leaf you have to ask for "cilantro". Haha
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 18:49   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
Add a can of coconut cream to my previous recipe for an alternative. Add it in last and stir briefly, but serve with rice to absorb the juices.

Excellent. I am going to experiment with that. The potatoes just get soft and yummy in that sauce. The heat is pretty intense though the coconut balances if. Thanks Buzzman!!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 22:34   #743

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Moroccan chickpeas with apricot and almonds

I have been waiting somewhat impatiently for the jar of Moroccan lemons to mature . Well the month is up and the first recipe I had lined up to try was a modified version of this one:
Moroccan Tagine Recipe - The Daring Gourmet

This is a beautifully fragrant and softly spicy dish that can be served warm with grains/rice or cold on a bed of fresh greens. This dish would still be excellent without the preserved lemons, but they are a lovely addition. Several spoons of chickpeas had to be "taste tested" while marinating .

Instead using a mortar and pestle to grind spices, with a lack of good coffee beans for over a year, I recruited my idle Hario coffee grinder. Works brilliantly!

MOROCCAN CHICKPEAS WITH APRICOT & ALMONDS

1 mug dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, rinsed and cooked as preferred

Marinade:
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white balsamic (or wine) vinegar
rind and juice of 1 lemon
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon ginger, finely grated
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, ground
2 teaspoons coriander seeds, ground
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon harissa
1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup
⅓ cup dried apricots, chopped roughly
⅓ cup raisins
1 preserved lemon, rinsed, flesh discarded, rind chopped

1.5 kg sweet potatoes (or pumpkin), peeled, and chopped
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp ground rock salt

½ cup blanched almonds for garnishing

- Combine marinade ingredients and mix well (if you have time, mix and refrigerate the day before)
- Add cooked chickpeas and leave for several hours
- Drizzle pumpkin with oil, grind on a little salt and roast until soft
- Dry almonds out in the oven as it cools down
- Combine chickpeas and pumpkin
- Serve warm or cold garnished with almonds

Recipe has been added to the index in post #1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	101810  

Old 11-05-2015, 00:36   #744

The hario will as an added bonus give you an interestingly flavoured cup of java to finish your meal with. ;wink;

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
akkebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 00:58   #745

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkebeng View Post
The hario will as an added bonus give you an interestingly flavoured cup of java to finish your meal with.
When I last bought cardamom pods, the Greek storekeeper suggested adding them to coffee beans, or dropping one directly in the cup. I may start a new trend with coriander and cumin .

Anyway, it can't possibly be as odd as adding raw egg to ground coffee as the Swedish do .

BTW, have you had a chance to try making tonic syrup yet? I think you mentioned you had found cinchona within walking distance.

SWL

Old 11-05-2015, 02:22   #746

A pinch of powdered ginger in the coffee isn't bad either.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:42   #747

Dear SWL

My reply on the egg in the coffee mysteriously went to binary heaven, and it was too long anyway, so here is a resumé.

My grandparents probably added a clearing skin to the pot with coarsly ground coffee beans and water. That was a piece of fish skin. Proteins dissolved out of it and then coprecipitated with the suspended fine particles in the boiled coffee.

Pure albumen (the main constituent apart from water in egg white) is still occasionally used for clearing wine from suspended yeast particles after the fermentation is ended.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:54   #748

....and regarding the tonic syrup, you have a long memory SWL. I successfully prepared the cold extracted variant. It was, as other already have certified, very fresh but more like a nice softdrink than anything else. It's main disadvantage was a very limited shelf life even in the fridge. After slightly over one week, a layer of mold began forming and I sent it down the drain. Next try still pending. This time I will use the hot extraction. Boiling water will hopefully kill all spores of mold and fungi and a more aromatic taste would fit my taste nicely and perhaps make a syrup that can be taken aboard without immediately passing away for lack of refrigeration.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:04   #749

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dear SWL

My reply on the egg in the coffee mysteriously went to binary heaven, and it was too long anyway, so here is a resumé.

My grandparents probably added a clearing skin to the pot with coarsly ground coffee beans and water. That was a piece of fish skin. Proteins dissolved out of it and then coprecipitated with the suspended fine particles in the boiled coffee.

Pure albumen (the main constituent apart from water in egg white) is still occasionally used for clearing wine from suspended yeast particles after the fermentation is ended.
Well, I thought raw egg in coffee was strange enough, but I think it is preferable to fish skin. Perhaps that wonderfully fragrant cardamom spiced Swedish bread was invented to disguise the fish and egg flavoured coffee .

Quote:
....and regarding the tonic syrup, you have a long memory SWL. I successfully prepared the cold extracted variant. It was, as other already have certified, very fresh but more like a nice softdrink than anything else. It's main disadvantage was a very limited shelf life even in the fridge. After slightly over one week, a layer of mold began forming and I sent it down the drain. Next try still pending. This time I will use the hot extraction. Boiling water will hopefully kill all spores of mold and fungi and a more aromatic taste would fit my taste nicely and perhaps make a syrup that can be taken aboard without immediately passing away for lack of refrigeration.
My first two attempts at tonic syrup were a mix of cold extraction and boiling the cinchona - I poured boiling water on the bark and let it sit cold three days. The first was way too fruity and in both the cinchona flavour was not particularly pleasant. The awful murkiness of the mix that occurred with time bothered me. Neither batch was good enough for G&Ts, but OK as soft drinks with soda water.

The third attempt was a great success - I boiled just the cinchona for half an hour and added the rest progressively as it cooled (the rind when near cold). The cinchona definitely needs to be boiled for the best results. Sitting for three days is a bad idea.

The fourth batch was even better with lemon/lime extract (see post #631 for the recipe) instead of raw rind.

I added half a cup of gin to the first three mixes and they were left unrefrigerated. The third batch has has now had about two months with half a cup left. After about 3-4 weeks it developed a slight sediment at the bottom, so I filtered it again and added a splash more alcohol, and the sediment has not reoccured.

The fourth had a total of 1 cup of alcohol (half a cup of extract and half a cup of straight gin), which should make the longevity even better. It was made about two weeks ago and is sitting in the dark under the kitchen sink, still looking gloriously clear.

I will attach the final recipe in a sec.

SWL

Old 11-05-2015, 08:09   #750
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
A pinch of powdered ginger in the coffee isn't bad either.

Interesting, my grandmother use to add a tiny pinch of hot english mustard powder to her coffee.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote