Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 07:38   #631

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Lemon/lime extract

I mixed up some lemon/lime essence three hours ago. No vodka on board, so I used gin. I doubled up the rind and omitted the sugar.

It is already fantastic! I doubt it will last long. I use lemon rind an awful lot and occasionally run out of lemons. This will substitute well.

Sipping it even after this very brief soak, I think it may also serve a dual purpose. It is the best limoncello I have ever tasted (intense, not sweet and not watered down). Everything I have read suggests leaving it a month, so I guess I need to be patient on this one.

LEMON/LIME EXTRACT (= LEMON LIQUEUR)

1 cup vodka or gin
Finely grated rind of 2 lemons and 2 limes (scrub the citrus well first and dry and make sure no white pith is included)

- Combine in a jar and store somewhere dark
- Resist tasting too often
- Shake whenever you remember (I doubt it needs this often)
- After 1-4 weeks 5-7 days strain and filter using a paper coffee filter

Recipes don't get much easier than this .

EDITED TO ADD: This makes a fantastic lemon liqueur

An intense yellow hue and lemon flavour has infused the gin even after only three hours of soaking:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	401.0 KB
ID:	99100  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 12:11   #632

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
How to Make Homemade Extracts - Vanilla, Lemon and Almond

This recipe isn't for a meal, however it is definitely vegan - and it contains alcohol - so this is a pretty good place to put it!
excellent link! Thank you very much...Alcohol does qualify as a food.
I've been using pure 100% potato vodka from Idaho for years to make infusions of propolis and other compounds for medicinal purposes but never thought of the process for foods. I wonder if I could make some vanilla ice cream that would make one tipsy<smile>

For those not familiar with propolis it is a substance made by bees with anti viral and bacterial properties that is in the form of a dark colored resin paste like substance. Bees use it to coat all surfaces in a new home and to repair defects in the structure chosen among other uses.
Needless to say bees are antiseptically clean critters I guess thats cause the girls do all the work!
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 12:15   #633

Re: Lemon/lime extract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I mixed up some lemon/lime essence three hours ago. No vodka on board, so I used gin. I doubled up the rind and omitted the sugar.

It is already fantastic! I doubt it will last long. I use lemon rind an awful lot and occasionally run out of lemons. This will substitute well.

Sipping it even after this very brief soak, I think it may also serve a dual purpose. It is the best limoncello I have ever tasted (intense, not sweet and not watered down). Everything I have read suggests leaving it a month, so I guess I need to be patient on this one.

LEMON/LIME EXTRACT

1 cup vodka or gin
Finely grated rind of 2 lemons and 2 limes (scrub the citrus well first and dry and make sure no white pith is included)

- After 1-4 weeks strain and filter using a paper coffee filter

An intense yellow hue and lemon flavour has infused the gin even after only three hours of soaking:
did you say sipping? Good girl, a fine cook can never taste too often
And besides, everyone knows alcohol evaporates so why not drink it before this happens?
Old 20-03-2015, 14:51   #634
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:

LEMON/LIME EXTRACT

1 cup vodka or gin

- After 1-4 weeks strain and filter using a paper coffee filter

I didn't think of using gin instead of vodka, I have some cheap Egyptian gin on board that will do the trick nicely - that's tomorrow's task sorted out!

I have some vanilla beans too, not sure if there is enough but I'll give it a go.
Old 20-03-2015, 18:07   #635

Quote:
I didn't think of using gin instead of vodka, I have some cheap Egyptian gin on board that will do the trick nicely - that's tomorrow's task sorted out!

I have some vanilla beans too, not sure if there is enough but I'll give it a go.
your infusion will have the added taste of juniper berries?
Old 20-03-2015, 23:08   #636

Quote:
I

Sipping it even after this very brief soak,...:

I appreciate your sacrificing for science by performing taste tests.

This looks so good and it is a good way of warding off scurvy while on extended cruises.

While on the topic, here is another one for the ships medicine kit! We made this year's ago and your recipe made me think of trying this again. This isn't the recipe we used but it sounds similar.

Homemade Kahlua Recipe

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups water
1 1/2 cups instant coffee crystals
4 1/2 cups 100 proof vodka
8 cups sugar
2 vanilla beans

DIRECTIONS:
Mix water, sugar and coffee crystals. Heat and stir until dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Add vodka. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into 6, 12.5 oz. bottles. Cut each vanilla bean into thirds and drop bean into each bottle. Cap. After 2-3 weeks strain, remove beans and rebottle.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 02:14   #637
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
your infusion will have the added taste of juniper berries?
It is the cheapest nastiest gin I've ever tasted, I don't think a juniper berry has ever been near it. It will be perfect for infusing.
Old 21-03-2015, 09:39   #638

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Homemade Kahlua Recipe

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups water
8 cups sugar
2 vanilla beans
Sailor G, That raises the option of making all sorts of liquers! I love White Russians as an alternative to having dessert after special meals. I think I would play with this recipe a bit and use freshly made espresso instead of the instant coffee and reduce the sugar by heaps. The beauty of recipes like this is that you can easily tweak them to suit personal tastes .
PS Recipe has been added to the index.

Quote:
It is the cheapest nastiest gin I've ever tasted, I don't think a juniper berry has ever been near it. It will be perfect for infusing.
I doubt if the quality of the alcohol is important here. The citrus is overwhelming (with my batch it is impossible to tell what kind of alcohol was used). This is a perfect way of using up cheap alcohol.

I used a teaspoon of the "immature" lemon extract in the creamy rice pudding I made today (along with the commercial vanilla extract I usually use) and it was absolutely lovely! It has only been sitting a day, but I can't imagine how it could improve further. It already gives a fantastic, rich smooth hit of lemon.
I will keep testing it daily and monitor how it changes. Next time I will make a double batch and put one aside for a month and one for a week and see how the final filtered result differs.

SWL

Old 21-03-2015, 13:53   #639

Quote:
I appreciate your sacrificing for science by performing taste tests.

This looks so good and it is a good way of warding off scurvy while on extended cruises.

Now that's a great excuse for a little grog....
Excellent idea!
Even at the dock one must experiment with different recipes so when on the seas one has lots of variety.

While on the topic, here is another one for the ships medicine kit! We made this year's ago and your recipe made me think of trying this again. This isn't the recipe we used but it sounds similar.

Homemade Kahlua Recipe

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups water
8 cups sugar
2 vanilla beans

DIRECTIONS:
Mix water, sugar and coffee crystals. Heat and stir until dissolved. Cool to room temperature. Add vodka. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into 6, 12.5 oz. bottles. Cut each vanilla bean into thirds and drop bean into each bottle. Cap. After 2-3 weeks strain, remove beans and rebottle.
A good quick simple recipe except for one thing, there is no mention of tasting to make sure it has the kick and sweetness necessary for maritime use
Old 21-03-2015, 18:14   #640

Quote:
, That raises the option of making all sorts of liquers! I love White Russians as an alternative to having dessert after special meals. I think I would play with this recipe a bit and use freshly made espresso instead of the instant coffee and reduce the sugar by heaps. SWL

I agree with the espresso! That will really kick up the flavor. It would be great in White Russians or even just in coffee. In fact, it sounds good now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
A good quick simple recipe except for one thing, there is no mention of tasting to make sure it has the kick and sweetness necessary for maritime use

I will be sure to do my due diligence to all CF members by doing taste tests. Can't take any chances!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 20:39   #641

Quote:
I agree with the espresso! That will really kick up the flavor. It would be great in White Russians or even just in coffee. In fact, it sounds good now!

I will be sure to do my due diligence to all CF members by doing taste tests. Can't take any chances!
.. we are all deeply thankful for your sacrifice on our behalf.
Old 22-03-2015, 09:05   #642

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Stewed apple

Stewed apple revisited .

It has been nearly a year and a half since I posted this easy recipe. It is an ongoing favourite (my better half loves it), so for all of you who missed it back in post #5, I have snapped another photo of it sealed up.

We use ½ jar each (= 1 apple) mostly for breakfast dolloped on cereal or porridge or bircher muesli. It is also yum as a dessert on creamy rice (last night) or in apple crumble. Apples keep really well on board, but I think cooking them briefly actually enhances the flavour. It is also super quick (don't overcook them) and super easy.

I haven't seen rhubarb for over a year now, but that is also lovely on its own (I usually add a little sugar, as rhubarb is tart) or with apples added and then used exactly the same way. In summer I also use stone fruit.

These plastic lidded ex peanut butter jars aren't perfectly airtight longterm, but I have found them to be fine if the contents are sealed piping hot and used within a few days. It never hangs around longer that that:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	138
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	99159  

Old 22-03-2015, 15:03   #643

Re: Stewed apple

Quote:
Stewed apple revisited .

It has been nearly a year and a half since I posted this easy recipe. It is an ongoing favourite (my better half loves it), so for all of you who missed it back in post #5, I have snapped another photo of it sealed up.

We use ½ jar each (= 1 apple) mostly for breakfast dolloped on cereal or porridge or bircher muesli. It is also yum as a dessert on creamy rice (last night) or in apple crumble. Apples keep really well on board, but I think cooking them briefly actually enhances the flavour. It is also super quick (don't overcook them) and super easy.

I haven't seen rhubarb for over a year now, but that is also lovely on its own (I usually add a little sugar, as rhubarb is tart) or with apples added and then used exactly the same way. In summer I also use stone fruit.

These plastic lidded ex peanut butter jars aren't perfectly airtight longterm, but I have found them to be fine if the contents are sealed piping hot and used within a few days. It never hangs around longer that that:
It's really hard for me to say this. I love rhubarb but hated the added sugar part and have been fighting that for fifty years! Yeah I know, you all are tired of me saying, well then add honey, but honey dosent work well with rhubarb pie cause it has its own flavor which over powers the delicate taste of rhubarb.
Ok Sassy seaworthy Lady, mark my words, never to be repeated... you are an Angle...Thank you for opening my eyes....Please excuse, I am still a bit tipsey from experimenting with the lemon recipes<smile>.....Oh, try moonshine at 190 proof makes a kick.....Kalua! we make it here in the Pacific Northwest. Moonshine and kalua
Old 23-03-2015, 04:38   #644

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Apple almond-oat crumble

On the stewed apple theme, here is a good topping. For those of you with a real sweet tooth, bump up the sugar/maple syrup/honey.

Any stewed fruit base can be used. It is also fantastic with leftover creamy rice mixed with a little milk to get the texture right, and spooned on the bottom under the fruit (you could try oatmeal as well for a special brunch). Almond milk is good for this if you are not having dairy.

Best of all, serve it with both custard and icecream .

APPLE ALMOND-OAT CRUMBLE

4 apples, peeled, cored, chopped and stewed a few minutes with a little water (or two preprepared jars)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons homemade lemon extract (it will be gone pretty quickly at this rate )

Topping:
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup ground almonds
1 tablespoon brown sugar (gives it a lovely crunch)

- Combine apple, vanilla and lemon and spoon into a small greased ovenproof dish
- Melt oil and honey
- Mix in oats and almond
- Sprinkle evenly on apple
- Sprinkle with sugar
- Bake moderate oven approx 15 min
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	155
Size:	420.6 KB
ID:	99236  

Old 23-03-2015, 15:31   #645

Re: Greens with sumac

[QUOTE=Seaworthy Lass;1778877]I have just discovered a new spice, well new to me that is, it has been used for millenia . It is sumac.

These ground bright purple berries add a fresh, tart lemony edge with a bit of musky depth. I found out today this spice is absolutely perfect for sautéed greens, lifting them out of the ordinary.

Food related off topic bit of info
poison sumac also makes great honey as does its sister poison oak. Not an uncommon honey but one not often marketed under its real name for obvious reasons. Most I've seen comes from Florida and is water white in color.