Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 14-02-2015, 22:20   #556

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Cauli roasts beautifully doesn't it! Glad you have discovered it too.
Lots of dressings work well. Lime and curry is a really good mix, or even just lemon juice and crushed garlic mixed in with the olive oil. Marinaded and then roasted in Tandoori mix is delicious as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's
Roasted with chili sounds yum. The only hot sauce I have used though is Tabasco and quarter of a cup of that would blow your head off LOL. 'Frank's' must be a mild version?

I have added the recipe to the index .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 00:01   #557

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Roasted with chili sounds yum. The only hot sauce I have used though is Tabasco and half a cup of that would blow your head off LOL. 'Frank's' must be a mild version?
I have just found this:

----------

Here is the original recipe created by Ms. Teresa Bellissimo, owner of the Anchor Bar and Restaurant, in Buffalo, NY. It is taken from Totally Hot! The Ultimate Hot Pepper Cookbook.

1 Lb Chicken wings that have had the tips removed and are seperated at the joints.
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt (if desired)
4 C Vegetable Oil

4 Tbs butter or margarine (1/2 stick)
5 Tbs Louisiana-brand hot sauce (preferably Frank's) or Tabasco sauce
1 Tbs white wine vinegar

------------

5 tablespoons of Tabasco!!! WOW! I use it by the drop.
That gives me a whole new appreciation of 'hot'

Old 16-02-2015, 07:15   #558

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sweet potato roasted with burnt sage butter

This just came out of the oven, smelling divine. A fair bit was "Taste Tested" before it made it onto the plate. All in the name of quality control of course , but I must confess I had just come back from a long walk and this smelled and tasted like food of the gods and I am not good on resisting temptation so a fair chunk was demolished straight off the baking tray with some of the sage butter spooned over .

OK, I admit the use of butter makes this not quite vegan, but this recipe is predominantly vegetable based and so good that I am including it .

Burnt sage butter is typically served with gnocchi. I think it is even better when I have made it with sweet potato gnocchi, which gave me the idea of using it on roasted sweet potato. This simple dish is a real winner.

New sage and oregano growth is prolific here at the moment (thyme is just emerging) and I pick a few bunches each time I go for walk, so I am utilising this a fair bit at the moment. Apart from enhancing dishes, these herbs are powerful antioxidants particularly in their fresh state, which is an added bonus.

SWEET POTATO ROASTED WITH BURNT SAGE BUTTER

3 medium orange sweet potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced (halve the bigger portions)
Few tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

60g butter
Big handful (about half a cup loosely packed) young sage leaves

- Place sweet potato on a baking tray and drizzle with oil
- Roast around 40 minutes until soft, turning over at around 25-30 min
- Meanwhile melt butter in a saucepan, add the sage leaves and turn off the heat. Let sit about half an hour to let the flavour of the leaves infuse the butter.
- Turn the heat onto low and stir continually for around 3-5 minutes, until the butter is just barely starting to brown (it will initially turn slightly green from the sage). Turn off the heat immediately then, as it will darken further very quickly. At this stage the sage will have crispened and will melt in the mouth if tasted. It is absolutely nothing like raw leaves, hence the huge number can be used.
- Arrange the roasted sweet potato on a platter and drizzle with the sage butter and leaves.

I don't use salt on this dish, as the flavours are intense and I am not accustomed to heaps of salt, but add some if that suits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	416.9 KB
ID:	97215  

Old 16-02-2015, 16:10   #559

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Hey folks; chicken, butter, cheese....? Please stop hijacking this thread with non-vegan recipes. Start another thread, if you want to.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 17:57   #560

Vegans Make Good Lovers aka ' Good Boat Recipes '

Sorry SailFastTri. Most of us take recipes we have or find and show how to make them vegan.

Lass~
Love the Sweet Potatoes with the Burnt Sage Butter. Had it tonight and loved it. I am not the biggest fan of sweet potatoes because of the sweet-yeah, I'm crazy. Most love them because they are sweet and then they add brown sugar. I've been trying to find ways to add them because they are so good for you.

The browned butter gives them an amazing flavor and cuts the sweetness for me. I love it! Thanks for the recipe.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 20:43   #561

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Hey folks; chicken, butter, cheese....? Please stop hijacking this thread with non-vegan recipes. Start another thread, if you want to.
Hi Sail
I didn't realise you were lurking or I would have been on my best behavior (by the way, you forgot the tuna - with thoughts turning to fish, that really started me on the slippery slide to the dark side).

Thread drift occurs naturally in any thread. Also, with few exceptions the minimal amount of dairy used in the occasional recipe here is only an optional additive and can easily be substituted or omitted.

I think even in the burnt sage butter recipe, extra virgin olive oil could be used. In fact I'll try it and report back. Without doubt it will alter the character, but I bet it will still be an excellent dish. The sage will still crispen identically and provide that same hit of wonderful flavour.
Being vegan or a cruiser (or both) means being adaptive.

Anyway, I promise to strive harder and keep my next few recipes pure .

SWL

PS Any recipes to contribute? It would be fantastic if someone actually vegan posted a few recipes and it would help dramatically to keep the rest of us on track .

Old 16-02-2015, 20:57   #562

Hey Seaworthy -- you threw down the gauntlet

Here's one:

Italian stew
1 zucchini
1 cup mushrooms chopped
½ cup beets chopped
2 carrots diced
15 Brussels sprouts quartered
1 red pepper
1 onion
1 cup white beans
1 cup peas
Anything else in the fridge J
1 cup diced tomatoes (canned)
1 cup tomato sauce
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
¼ tsp pepper
Cook, simmer 45 minutes. Serve over whole wheat pasta or brown rice, or wheat berries if you prefer a little more "texture".
Old 16-02-2015, 21:02   #563

Gazpacho (very easy and very good)

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 seedless cucumber ¼ inch pieces diced

1 small yellow pepper dice

½ cup water

2 Tbs. oil

1 small onion

1 small jalapeno minced

2 Tbs sherry vinegar

Cilantro

Process ½ cup tomato and water. Stick blender works well.

Then add other ingredients.
Old 16-02-2015, 21:06   #564

No Cream- cream of Broccoli soup Very good and easy!

4 cups vegetable broth
1 bunch broccoli (or asparagus, cauliflower, butternut squash
1 medium onion, 2 carrots, cubed
1 teaspoon oil
Salt and pepper
1. In large stock pot add oil then sweet onions, broccoli and carrots. Add stock simmer for 40 minutes
2. Puree the vegetables in the broth, but don't overdo it (leave some small chunks for a bit of texture) add salt and pepper to taste. (Stick blender works well).
Old 16-02-2015, 21:23   #565

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey Seaworthy -- you threw down the gauntlet
I see you are skilled at both duelling and producing fine food .
Recipes are coming faster than I can update the index .

Many thanks for the contributions, keep them coming.
SWL xxx

PS I like the idea of beets in a stew. I use them lots in soups and salads (and even raw in juice back home - good with apple and ginger). I will give the stew recipe a go next week when I hit shops again and find some beets.

Old 16-02-2015, 23:06   #566

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon oil
Salt and pepper
1. In large stock pot add oil then sweet onions, broccoli and carrots. Add stock simmer for 40 minutes
2. Puree the vegetables in the broth, but don't overdo it (leave some small chunks for a bit of texture) add salt and pepper to taste. (Stick blender works well).
I have a tip to offer for 'Cream of anything green' soup:
Generally greens benefit from minimal cooking, as it helps retain the flavour, nutrients and gorgeous bright green colour (I am firmly in the camp that thinks that food that looks good tastes even better ).

So for Cream of Broccoli soup, I cut off all the ends of all the florets and put them aside. The rest of the broccoli gets chopped up (with the stem peeled) and thrown in with the broth and other veggies. When these are cooked, add the greens and puree immediately. Return to the heat and cook a minute or two (taste to check how long it takes, but the time is very short following the puree).

Try it - it makes a huge difference to the end result .

SWL

Old 17-02-2015, 20:54   #567

Quote:
Gazpacho (very easy and very good)

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 seedless cucumber ¼ inch pieces diced

1 small yellow pepper dice

½ cup water

2 Tbs. oil

1 small onion

1 small jalapeno minced

2 Tbs sherry vinegar

Cilantro

Process ½ cup tomato and water. Stick blender works well.

Then add other ingredients.

This sounds so good. I can't believe I only had gazpacho for the first time last year. I have even added salsa to veggies when tomatoes weren't the best. It adds a bit of zest too.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 07:29   #568

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ecuadorean quinoa and vegetable soup

SailFastTri, I am back on the wagon and the wagon is back on the rails .

Seriously cold weather (cold if you have no heating ) means serious soup is needed. A top of 7°C was reached today with the wind chill factor meant it hovered either side of zero most of the time. So my mind turned to chilli and something chunky and hearty. Even had my thoughts drifted to meat, I have not been able to access any for well over a week, so veggies had to satisfy.

I found this recipe a while back and today seemed like a good time to try it:
Ecuadorean Quinoa And Vegetable Soup Recipe - Food.com
I adapted it to fill my 3 litre pressure cooker.

Checking for seasoning straight after cooking, I thought the soup was a bit insipid so I added a handful of finely chopped fresh oregano and parsley. Also, I read elsewhere that "soups in Ecuador are always served with avocado slices and aji criollo or hot sauce", so I followed suit. All that lifted the original recipe nicely and provided the dose of chilli the weather was calling for.

I have not explored South American cuisine before. I was surprised to find oregano and cumin feature quite a bit together in Peru, Argentina and Ecuador. This seems an odd mix to me (a marriage of what I consider Eastern Med/Indian with Italian), but they team surprisingly well together.

ECUADOREAN STYLE QUINOA AND VEGETABLE SOUP

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 heaped teaspoon ground coriander
2 heaped teaspoons ground cumin
1 heaped teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
2 potatoes, diced
1 red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
2 carrots, halved lengthwise and sliced (I added these as I had some on hand)
3 mugs vegetable stock (or water and 2 stock cubes)
800 g can whole tomatoes
1 cup raw quinoa, rinsed well and drained
1 tsp salt
2 zucchini, sliced
Juice of half a lemon
Handful of fresh parsley and oregano

Topping: Avocado slices and hot sauce (I used Tabasco)

- Sauté onions until soft
- Meanwhile prepare veggies and rinse quinoa
- Add everything other than the zucchini, lemon and parsley. Use enough water to reach the maximum line in a 3 litre pressure cooker
- Bring to pressure, turn off and leave an hour
- Add zucchini (and more water if needed) and simmer five minutes until al dente (don't boil the life out of these)
- Add lemon juice and finely chopped parsley and oregano

Serve with avocado and splash of hot sauce.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	193
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	97375  

Old 26-02-2015, 11:27   #569

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cream of broccoli soup

Quote:

4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon oil
Salt and pepper
Quote:
I have a tip to offer for 'Cream of anything green' soup:
Generally greens benefit from minimal cooking, as it helps retain the flavour, nutrients and gorgeous bright green colour (I am firmly in the camp that thinks that food that looks good tastes even better ).

So for Cream of Broccoli soup, I cut off all the ends of all the florets and put them aside. The rest of the broccoli gets chopped up (with the stem peeled) and thrown in with the broth and other veggies. When these are cooked, add the greens and puree immediately. Return to the heat and cook a minute or two (taste to check how long it takes, but the time is very short following the puree).
CREAM OF BROCCOLI SOUP

SailFastTri's recipe nudged me to make a batch of this today. My recipe basically follows his, but I use potato instead of carrot so the colour does not interfere and I bump up the quantities to fill my 3 litre pressure cooker. I do not, however, add the tips of the broccoli until the rest is cooked. At that point I throw them in, puree the mix, bring it to the boil and instantly seal the soup in glass jars.

Below is how it looked. The colour of broccoli soup is not nearly as intense as that of the pea version, but fresh non-the-less if the life and nutrients are not boiled out of the green bits. It is nice for a change and packed with goodness.

I served the soup tonight topped with toasted pistachios and fresh herbs.
Thanks for posting the recipe .

PS Don't discard the thick stem of the broccoli. Cut away the tough outer layer and you will find the core of this is the sweetest most tender part of the head. I usually munch this raw (same goes with cauliflower).

Edited to add: Because of the short cooking time after greens are added, 'green' soups do not keep well in jars. Leave no more than a couple of nights before consuming ('orange' soups will last a week easily - I have not been game to try longer).
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	145
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	97960  

Old 26-02-2015, 17:00   #570

Quote:
Hi Sail
I didn't realise you were lurking or I would have been on my best behavior (by the way, you forgot the tuna - with thoughts turning to fish, that really started me on the slippery slide to the dark side).

Thread drift occurs naturally in any thread. Also, with few exceptions the minimal amount of dairy used in the occasional recipe here is only an optional additive and can easily be substituted or omitted.

I think even in the burnt sage butter recipe, extra virgin olive oil could be used. In fact I'll try it and report back. Without doubt it will alter the character, but I bet it will still be an excellent dish. The sage will still crispen identically and provide that same hit of wonderful flavour.
Being vegan or a cruiser (or both) means being adaptive.

Anyway, I promise to strive harder and keep my next few recipes pure .

SWL

PS Any recipes to contribute? It would be fantastic if someone actually vegan posted a few recipes and it would help dramatically to keep the rest of us on track .
Howdy Sassy Lassie.....your words above sounded very similiar to friends when they attempt to justify the occasional cigarrett or drink when on the wagon.....or me when i fall off my diet.....chuckle
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote