Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 29-04-2014, 12:22   #331
Marine Service Provider
 
NornaBiron's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greece
Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Posts: 612
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

I think it's about time that this thread got back to its origins. Has anyone got any new vegan recipes?
__________________

__________________
Sail repairs by cruisers for cruisers
NornaBiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 15:03   #332
Moderator Emeritus
 
Coops's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NSW.Australia
Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Posts: 9,550
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Sorry, one more that is not a recipe because I just found this. After trying all the recipes you could hope to do this.

Vegan bodybuilder shows off his superhuman strength. [VIDEO]

I can't hope, only dream.

Coops.
__________________

__________________
When somebody told me that I was delusional, I almost fell off of my unicorn.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 16:07   #333
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
In response to the questions about honey not being allowed in a vegan lifestyle I have done some online research and posted links to vegan sites. The Vegan Society states that honey is not allowed, as they are the founders of true veganism, I don't think you can argue with what I have been saying. I am not trying to advocate a vegan lifestyle, just trying to explain my original statement.
You were quoting the "Vegan Society", I was quoting science which is not based upon opinions like Vegan Society policies are. According to every analysis of honey I have ever reviewed there has never been a single animal component listed unless one considers enzymes produced by plants and probiotic sources as animal in nature. And if we do that then most foods are not vegan.

Best wishes
Britt
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 20:42   #334
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,193
Granola (oven baked)

Back to recipes .

l have just tried a tweaked version of NornaBiron's recipe for granola (given in post #316). The ingredients were almost the same, but the method of preparation different. Interestingly, the loose granola clumped together as it cooled, making me think if you pressed it together while hot, it would make fabulous energy bars.

If you don't eat honey for whatever reason, substitute it for maple syrup .

I can only echo what NornaBiron said a few posts back: it "makes shop bought cereal taste of cardboard". NB, thanks for sharing the recipe!

GRANOLA (oven baked)

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup mixed nuts (eg cashews and hazelnuts)
1 cup mixed seeds (eg pumpkin and sunflower)
cup shredded, desiccated or flaked coconut
cup honey (or maple syrup if you don't eat honey)
cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup mixed dried fruit (eg cranberries and sultanas)

- Combine the oats, nuts, seeds and coconut in a large bowl
- Whisk together the honey, oil and vanilla
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix really well to give an even coat
- Spread out on a tray lined with non stick baking paper
- Bake at about 160C for 15-20 minutes
- Stir well, repeat for 5 more minutes and again for 5 (it browns easily). Mine needed 30 minutes in total to brown evenly.
- Add dried fruit and cool. Break up and store in an airtight container.

Serve with cold milk (almond or soy if vegan) or munch on dry as a snack (it would be even better with chocolate chunks added ).

Both recipes have been added to the index in post #1.

Breakfast this morning before fresh fruit was added. The sun has just risen. Start of another gorgeous day, all the better for being fueled with homemade granola :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	80281  
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:56   #335
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,193
Barley salad with orange ginger dressing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Has anyone got any new vegan recipes?
Not entirely new as I have already posted a recipe using a similar dressing, but this is how I used the second batch of barley I cooked in the thermos. I love barley's chewy texture and the way it absorbs dressing beautifully. It keeps for ages in its dry state (this is still part of the lot I bought with you in Crete). Carrots lend themselves particularly well to orange and ginger and honey, so I added lots.

Salads like this are so easy and are a good mix of flavours, textures and colour and nutrients. The only cooking needed was boiling a couple of cups of water in a kettle .

BARLEY SALAD WITH ORANGE GINGER DRESSING

1 cup pearl barley
2 cups boiling water

400 g can chickpeas, well rinsed and drained
cup sultanas

1 red capsicum, quartered and sliced
4 small carrots, grated
1 cup parsley, chopped

1 small red onion, peeled and cut in wedges
cup walnut halves
Few extra parsley leaves

DRESSING:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
rind and juice 1 orange
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 tsp honey
tsp each freshly ground salt and pepper

- Mix dressing in a glass jar, shake well, pour over chickpeas and sultanas
- Meanwhile cook barley (my current method is simply to pop it into a 710ml wide mouthed thermos, pour in the boiling liquid, seal, wrap it in a blanket and leave it for a 1.5 hours)
- Drain away excess water and mix the barley in with the chickpeas to absorb some of the dressing and let the mixture cool
- Just before serving add the capsicum, carrot and parsley and mix well
- Scatter with the red onion, walnuts and reserved parsley and drizzle on a little extra oil.

(This recipe has been added to the index in post #1)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	420.5 KB
ID:	80326  
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:02   #336
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,821
pirate re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Here's a pleasant, short read:

10 Signs You're A Hardcore Vegan (Funny)
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 14:12   #337
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Here's a pleasant, short read:

10 Signs You're A Hardcore Vegan (Funny)
....I do most of those things except for the shoe one and I am not vegan or even vegetarian.
If your buying different kinds of kale that all taste the same then your buying kale raised on land that was previously under chemical cultivation< conventional agriculture>. Kale varieties grown on real soil enriched with a full range of organic materials, compost, from sources grown on the same clean organically enriched soil are definitely full flavored and distinctly different. Much of so called "organic" in stores is grown on land converted from conventional farming and even if truly farmed organically will take years before the soil balance is returned to provide flavorful veggies.

Best wishes and good eating all
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:37   #338
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,193
Peanut butter oatmeal

Playing with porridge made in a thermos .

The combination of ingredients came from the Oh She Glows site that SailFastTri posted a link to earlier:
Early Morning Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal — Oh She Glows

PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL

For two big serves:

1 cup rolled oats
2.5 cups boiling water
2 bananas
1 tblsp peanut butter
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
Brown sugar and nuts for topping

- Tip the oats into a wide mouthed 710 ml thermos (does not need to be preheated)
- Add boiling water, seal, shake a few times, wrap in a blanket and leave an hour (can be prepared the night before probably)
- Mash the bananas, peanut butter, cinnamon and vanilla
- Stir into the oats
- Serve sprinkled with brown sugar and nuts

The recipe has been added to the index in post #1.

Not a lot to look at, but tastes yum. Fresh fruit would be good added too. This is going to keep me well fuelled until dinner time today:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	80441  
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:40   #339
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,193
Apple 'cake' baked oatmeal

The carrot version of this dish did the rounds amongst food bloggers during the last year or two.
Here are a few links:
Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal - The Roasted Root
Heavenly Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal — Oh She Glows
Green Kitchen Stories » Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal

This morning I looked at the ingredients others had used and decided on the mix below. Problem was, I was fired up with enthusiasm to try it and I had no carrots left on board. Apples seems like a good substitute, but grating them makes a mushy mix, so instead I simply peeled and finely chopped them. I'll try carrot next time, although I can't imagine it would be any nicer. This was delicious .

CARROT APPLE 'CAKE' BAKED OATMEAL

2 cups rolled oats
cup raisins or sultanas
1 heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 flat teaspoon baking powder
2 cups milk (almond or soy if vegan)
⅓ cup honey (or maple syrup)
Rind and juice 1 orange
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 heaped tsp freshly grated ginger
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
(or for the carrot version finely grate 4 to make up about 200 g)
cup walnuts, roughly chopped
Extra cup raisins or sultanas
1 tblsp brown sugar

- Combine the oats, sultanas, cinnamon and baking powder
- Whisk together the milk, honey, orange, vanilla and ginger
- Mix together these two lots and let this stand while preparing the apples or carrots
- Mix in the apple/carrot and spoon into a greased baking dish
- Press down to even out the surface and moisten all the mix evenly
- Top with the walnuts, extra sultanas and finally the brown sugar
- Bake at 180 C for about 35 minutes
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes to firm it up a little
- Serve hot with milk or yoghurt or if making this as a dessert, custard would be a perfect addition.

I tossed on a couple of tablespoons of sunflowers seeds this time, but would omit them next time. The walnuts were just right.

Absolutely perfect for leisurely breakfasts at anchor . See if you can stop at one serve. We couldn't. It has all the classic flavours that make apple cake so good. It was also excellent cut into squares when cold and munched on as a snack.

This has been added to the recipe index in post #1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	80574  
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:03   #340
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
Re: Apple 'cake' baked oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The carrot version of this dish did the rounds amongst food bloggers during the last year or two.
Here are a few links:
Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal - The Roasted Root
Heavenly Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal — Oh She Glows
Green Kitchen Stories » Baked Carrot Cake Oatmeal

This morning I looked at the ingredients others had used and decided on the mix below. Problem was, I was fired up with enthusiasm to try it and I had no carrots left on board. Apples seems like a good substitute, but grating them makes a mushy mix, so instead I simply peeled and finely chopped them. I'll try carrot next time, although I can't imagine it would be any nicer. This was delicious .

CARROT APPLE 'CAKE' BAKED OATMEAL

2 cups rolled oats
cup raisins or sultanas
1 heaped teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 flat teaspoon baking powder
2 cups milk (almond or soy if vegan)
⅓ cup honey (or maple syrup)
Rind and juice 1 orange
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 heaped tsp freshly grated ginger
2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced
(or for the carrot version finely grate 4 to make up about 200 g)
cup walnuts, roughly chopped
Extra cup raisins or sultanas
1 tblsp brown sugar

- Combine the oats, sultanas, cinnamon and baking powder
- Whisk together the milk, honey, orange, vanilla and ginger
- Mix together these two lots and let this stand while preparing the apples or carrots
- Mix in the apple/carrot and spoon into a greased baking dish
- Press down to even out the surface and moisten all the mix evenly
- Top with the walnuts, extra sultanas and finally the brown sugar
- Bake at 180 C for about 35 minutes
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes to firm it up a little
- Serve hot with milk or yoghurt or if making this as a dessert, custard would be a perfect addition.

I tossed on a couple of tablespoons of sunflowers seeds this time, but would omit them next time. The walnuts were just right.

Absolutely perfect for leisurely breakfasts at anchor . See if you can stop at one serve. We couldn't. It has all the classic flavours that make apple cake so good. It was also excellent cut into squares when cold and munched on as a snack.

This has been added to the recipe index in post #1.
This recipe except for the apples, carrots for me, is close to one I have been using forever and I give it a tastiness rating of 9 on a scale of one to ten. any kind of nuts work well better broken up
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:36   #341
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,193
Re: Apple 'cake' baked oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
This recipe except for the apples, carrots for me, is close to one I have been using forever and I give it a tastiness rating of 9 on a scale of one to ten. any kind of nuts work well better broken up
Try it with a couple of chopped apples added. It is scrumptious. I plan to make the carrot version later in the week and will report back. None of the apple one was left after we both kept reaching for pieces during the day .

I imagine it would be lovely with diced fresh apricots too, or blueberries or even peaches or nectarines. Not long now before these make an appearance and I can test it out.
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 13:01   #342
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
Re: Apple 'cake' baked oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Try it with a couple of chopped apples added. It is scrumptious. I plan to make the carrot version later in the week and will report back. None of the apple one was left after we both kept reaching for pieces during the day .

I imagine it would be lovely with diced fresh apricots too, or blueberries or even peaches or nectarines. Not long now before these make an appearance and I can test it out.
just what I need <smile>....my belly will be getting even bigger!. When the apples in my orchard, no spray organically grown, are ready I look forward to trying it this way. Blueberries???....good idea
__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:22   #343
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,193
Strawberry spring salad

This is an interesting combination of fresh flavours. I hadn't used strawberries in a savoury salad before, although in summer nectarines are lovely, particularly with chili. This is another recipe inspired by Oh She Glows:
Warm Spring Salad €” Oh She Glows

I played with proportions a bit (irresistible ), decided cool would be better than warm, included some kidney beans for the colour, texture and protein content, chargrilled the asparagus (definitely worth doing as it adds a lot to the flavour) and added a little chili to give it some oomph. This was the final result:

STRAWBERRY SPRING SALAD

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
2 leeks, sliced into rounds
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
500 g asparagus, ends snapped off
1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
cup dill, roughly chopped
1 cup strawberries, halved

440 g tin red kidney beans, rinsed and well drained

Dressing:
2 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
rind and juice 1 lemon
1 tblsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp honey (or pure maple syrup)
tsp freshly ground salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper

- Mix dressing, pour over beans and let them marinade an hour or more
- Prepare quinoa using your preferred method (for me recently that involves rinsing it, spooning into a wide mouthed thermos, pouring on 2 cups of boiling water, sealing and leaving for at least an hour)
- Spread out the cooked quinoa to cool and dry out slightly and then mix in with the beans
- Saut leeks with oil and garlic for about 10 minutes until tender. Cool.
- Chargrill asparagus on a cast iron griddle and cool
- Toss the leeks and bean mix together with the parsley
- Just before serving spoon onto a serving dish and top with asparagus and strawberries and dill.

Has this for dinner with sweet potato and red lentil soup, the recipe for which was the very first one I posted on the thread seven months ago. A good mix .

This has been added to the recipe index in post #1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	80633  
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 20:50   #344
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,193
Carrot 'cake' baked oatmeal

This is the carrot version of baked oatmeal with apple.

CARROT 'CAKE' BAKED OATMEAL

Same ingredients as in the apple baked oatmeal recipe in post #339, but use 4 medium carrots instead of the apple. I shaved the carrots on the same grater I use for parmesan, as I didn't want chewy bits of raw carrot in the finished dish and I knew half an hour of cooking time would not be enough to soften coarsely grated carrot. Using four carrots it made about 4 cups of very loose shavings, which looked like heaps, but was a perfect amount when combined with the oats.

I baked it for just half an hour this time and then turned the oven off and let it sit in there for another ten minutes.

Although it is unconventional, nothing to say you can't have carrots for breakfast . "Even better than the apple" was my better half's verdict. A chocolate almond version will be experimented with next. Variety is the spice of life .

This has been added to the recipe index in post #1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	442.1 KB
ID:	80754  
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 21:45   #345
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 415
Re: Carrot 'cake' baked oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
This is the carrot version of baked oatmeal with apple.

CARROT 'CAKE' BAKED OATMEAL

Same ingredients as in the apple baked oatmeal recipe in post #339, but use 4 medium carrots instead of the apple. I shaved the carrots on the same grater I use for parmesan, as I didn't want chewy bits of raw carrot in the finished dish and I knew half an hour of cooking time would not be enough to soften coarsely grated carrot. Using four carrots it made about 4 cups of very loose shavings, which looked like heaps, but was a perfect amount when combined with the oats.

I baked it for just half an hour this time and then turned the oven off and let it sit in there for another ten minutes.

Although it is unconventional, nothing to say you can't have carrots for breakfast . "Even better than the apple" was my better half's verdict. A chocolate almond version will be experimented with next. Variety is the spice of life .

This has been added to the recipe index in post #1.
chocolate almond???......that's decadent and here goes my waistline again. I wonder if the originator of this thread gets a kick back from the clothing stores....
__________________

__________________
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brunswick closes another plant sneuman Dollars & Cents 3 25-03-2008 12:39
Plant Visit in Ximan China michael201 Monohull Sailboats 7 21-06-2007 19:32


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.