Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 05:50   #316
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Stove Top Granola

Not strictly vegan but could easily be made so by replacing the honey with maple syrup or golden syrup.

Stove top Granola

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup mixed seeds
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup bran
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp honey/maple syrup
1 cup dried fruit

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Heat oil in a large pan, add oat mix and toast, stirring, for 5 minutes
Melt sugar and honey together then pour over oats
Mix well and continue stirring for 2 minutes
Allow to cool completely then stir in dried fruit
Store in airtight container
Serve topped with fresh fruit and Greek yoghurt for breakfast.
Makes approx 14 portions and makes shop bought cereal taste of cardboard!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140401_181341.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	80052  
Old 26-04-2014, 10:24   #317

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
I will pretty much eat anything that don't eat me first!

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I know that feeling and I have the belly to prove it. Can't get rid of the darn thing no matter how much I excercvise.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 10:27   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
They stink less too
Are you sure? Some of them eat lots of legume's and other gaseous vegetative foods....
Old 26-04-2014, 11:24   #319

Re: Stove Top Granola

[QUOTE=NornaBiron;1527298]Not strictly vegan but could easily be made so by replacing the honey with maple syrup or golden syrup.

Please indulge me for a minute in regards to honey. If my memory serves me correctly honey is a natural sweetener composed of the simple sugars, glucose, fructose, and a small amount of maltose all of which are derived from vegetable sources. Enzymes in honey are proteins produced by pro biotic actions, the primary ones like,
diastase( amylase) transforms starch and other complex carbohydrates into dextrins, oligo-, di- and monosaccharides.
Invertase converts complex sugars like sucrose into its component simple sugars.

there are some others in trace amounts that have been identified which I won't list here as well as five known antioxidents one of which has only been found in honey.

Rather than write a book on honey I will conclude with an overview of apis melifera's( honeybee) role in the production of honey. In a bees throat there is a special pouch used for storing necter gathered from flowers to be made into honey which is separate from but connected to the bees digestive trace by the preventriculous which blocks the nectar from passing down into the bees stomach. The preventriculous also prevents any stomach content from contaminating the nectar to be processed into honey. The honey pouch or crop also is home to probiotic organisms that produce the enzymes which will convert the nectar into honey. The bee upon her return to the hive travels to a honey comb and deposits the nectar into one or more of the honey comb cells so the enzymic action and removal of water can finish the transformation. Nectar is approximately 75% water and honey is 18% or less so the honey comb full of necter is heated by the bees to 95 degrees F. to remove the water and speed up the enzymic transformation into honey. When the bees have ascertained that the moisture content is below 18% and the enzymic transformation is completed they cap the honey cells preserving them for use when needed for food. Bees use honey for their carb source and get there lipid and proteins from pollen the male plant sex cell also gathered from flowers.

At no point in the process has science discovered any animal component in honey unless you consider enzymes, which are derived from bacterial(probiotic) sources as animal. If you do consider this as animal then you will starve to death because most all vegetarian foods contain components produced from bacterial sources.

I would be happy to answer any and all questions just rattle my cage.
God bless all
Britt
Old 26-04-2014, 12:26   #320
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Are you sure? Some of them eat lots of legume's and other gaseous vegetative foods....
You wont know till you dont have meat putrifying in your digestive system what a vegans gas smells like. Nothing like a meat eaters, goes for sweat too.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 13:02   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
You wont know till you dont have meat putrifying in your digestive system what a vegans gas smells like. Nothing like a meat eaters, goes for sweat too.
chuckle....rather than get into a clinical dissertation of; the physiological processes involved and the differences between vegan, vegetarian, carnivorous digestive systems I'll leave with this remark.

Not me! My ---- don't stink
Old 27-04-2014, 01:35   #322
Marine Service Provider

Grassroots Veganism with Jo Stepaniak
Vegans and Honey - Why Vegans Do Not Eat Honey
Why honey is not vegan

QUOTE=bfloyd4445;1527495]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Not strictly vegan but could easily be made so by replacing the honey with maple syrup or golden syrup.

Please indulge me for a minute in regards to honey. If my memory serves me correctly honey is a natural sweetener composed of the simple sugars, glucose, fructose, and a small amount of maltose all of which are derived from vegetable sources. Enzymes in honey are proteins produced by pro biotic actions, the primary ones like,
diastase( amylase) transforms starch and other complex carbohydrates into dextrins, oligo-, di- and monosaccharides.
Invertase converts complex sugars like sucrose into its component simple sugars.

there are some others in trace amounts that have been identified which I won't list here as well as five known antioxidents one of which has only been found in honey.

Rather than write a book on honey I will conclude with an overview of apis melifera's( honeybee) role in the production of honey. In a bees throat there is a special pouch used for storing necter gathered from flowers to be made into honey which is separate from but connected to the bees digestive trace by the preventriculous which blocks the nectar from passing down into the bees stomach. The preventriculous also prevents any stomach content from contaminating the nectar to be processed into honey. The honey pouch or crop also is home to probiotic organisms that produce the enzymes which will convert the nectar into honey. The bee upon her return to the hive travels to a honey comb and deposits the nectar into one or more of the honey comb cells so the enzymic action and removal of water can finish the transformation. Nectar is approximately 75% water and honey is 18% or less so the honey comb full of necter is heated by the bees to 95 degrees F. to remove the water and speed up the enzymic transformation into honey. When the bees have ascertained that the moisture content is below 18% and the enzymic transformation is completed they cap the honey cells preserving them for use when needed for food. Bees use honey for their carb source and get there lipid and proteins from pollen the male plant sex cell also gathered from flowers.

At no point in the process has science discovered any animal component in honey unless you consider enzymes, which are derived from bacterial(probiotic) sources as animal. If you do consider this as animal then you will starve to death because most all vegetarian foods contain components produced from bacterial sources.

I would be happy to answer any and all questions just rattle my cage.
God bless all
Britt
Please don't shout

The fact that vegans consider honey to be off limits is nothing to do with its components and everything to do with the fact that it is produced by animals/creatures for their own use and then humans exploit that production and take it for themselves. I am not vegan, not even vegetarian, and find some of the views a little odd, however if a true vegan does not eat any animal parts or products then, logically, honey must also be excluded.

There are three links at the top of this post which explain the vegan way of thinking more fully.
Old 28-04-2014, 16:02   #323

Quote:

QUOTE=bfloyd4445;1527495]

Please don't shout

The fact that vegans consider honey to be off limits is nothing to do with its components and everything to do with the fact that it is produced by animals/creatures for their own use and then humans exploit that production and take it for themselves. I am not vegan, not even vegetarian, and find some of the views a little odd, however if a true vegan does not eat any animal parts or products then, logically, honey must also be excluded.

There are three links at the top of this post which explain the vegan way of thinking more fully.
Please accept my apology, I had no intention of shouting.
..I have gone through vegan, vegetarian, periods in my 67 years with most time spent as an omnivore. I really do not like the idea of eating another animal do you? I do so on occasion cause my body seems to crave meat. I'm a meat eater right now last night I ate ribs
Honey has zero animal components so please explain why it logically must be excluded? It is processed by bees just like we make bread or other fermented foods but that dose not make those foods animal.
If you read my note then you know that there are no components of honey derived from animal sources any more than there are for vegan bread, kimchi, or any of hundreds of other vegan foods derived from enzymatic actions or probiotic sources. Yes bees gather the nectar from flowers but mushrooms and many other plant foods are picked, processed by humans< homo sapiens is listed by most as animal, however, I have know some that appeared to emulate vegetables>. Apis melifera is of the kingdom Animalia <so are we> pylum Anthropodia, class Insecta and order of Hymentoptera as which exhibits non of the charactoristics of mammals or other higher animals. Rather than describe the physiological structure of aspis melifera I will just say that they do not chew food, have no saliva, their mandibles and associated structures are primarily food gathering tools. They simply transport the nectar to the hive and deposit it in a honey comb in which it resides until the moisture content drops below 18% and then its capped with wax until needed or until a beekeeper like me steals it from them<smile>
Old 28-04-2014, 18:23   #324

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

[QUOTE=bfloyd4445;1529055]Please accept my apology, I had no intention of shouting.
..I have gone through vegan, vegetarian, periods in my 67 years with most time spent as an omnivore. I really do not like the idea of eating another animal do you? I do so on occasion cause my body seems to crave meat. I'm a meat eater right now last night I ate ribs
Honey has zero animal components so please explain why it logically must be excluded? It is processed by bees just like we make bread or other fermented foods but that dose not make those foods animal.
If you read my note then you know that there are no components of honey derived from animal sources any more than there are for vegan bread, kimchi, or any of hundreds of other vegan foods derived from enzymatic actions or probiotic sources. Yes bees gather the nectar from flowers but mushrooms and many other plant foods are picked, processed by humans< homo sapiens is listed by most as animal, however, I have know some that appeared to emulate vegetables>. Apis melifera is of the kingdom Animalia <so are we> pylum Anthropodia, class Insecta and order of Hymentoptera as which exhibits non of the charactoristics of mammals or other higher animals. Rather than describe the physiological structure of aspis melifera I will just say that they do not chew food, have no saliva, their mandibles and associated structures are primarily food gathering tools. They simply transport the nectar to the hive and deposit it in a honey comb in which it resides until the moisture content drops below 18% and then its capped with wax until needed or until a beekeeper like me steals it from them<smile>[/QUOTE]

Sounds reasonable to me. I can't understand either.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 18:56   #325

[QUOTE=downunder;1529149Sounds reasonable to me. I can't understand either. [/QUOTE]

.....ya made me laugh. Reminded me of my undergraduate years listening to lectures from people who were tops in their fields, all sounded greek to me.....chuckle....but their words made me think, and that's what education is all about.

Your right, lets get back to recipe's and cooking

While Honey is a food it is a bit off topic and I must again apolojize for wandering. Please pm me with any further questions regarding honey so we can get back to sharing recipes! I be hongry
Old 29-04-2014, 00:47   #326
Marine Service Provider

I think you're missing the point of veganism. Vegans try not to do harm to other creatures, that includes exploitation of animals/insects/fish. Keeping bees to make honey for humans is exploitative from a vegan way of thinking. The link provided is to the Vegan Society where the whole topic of veganism is discussed and explained.

Definition of veganism | The Vegan Society
Old 29-04-2014, 02:07   #327

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
I think you're missing the point of veganism. Vegans try not to do harm to other creatures, that includes exploitation of animals/insects/fish. Keeping bees to make honey for humans is exploitative from a vegan way of thinking. The link provided is to the Vegan Society where the whole topic of veganism is discussed and explained.

So is it exploitation to use commercial beehives to pollinate crops? In which case, there goes quite a few fruit and vegetables from your diet!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 06:16   #328
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
So is it exploitation to use commercial beehives to pollinate crops? In which case, there goes quite a few fruit and vegetables from your diet!
Please don't get me wrong, I am not a vegan. This thread is about vegan recipes which can be very useful when sailing in remote places where provisioning is limited. I submitted a recipe with the caveat that honey is not strictly vegan and now I'm getting hassle for trying to explain the vegan philosophy. If you look at the links I have posted in two previous posts the reasoning for honey being non vegan is clearly explained. You can argue about it all you like but the Vegan Society of the UK (which started and defined vegan in 1944) says that honey is not permissable.

My philosophy is 'each to his own', if a vegan doesn't eat honey that's fine by me, I can understand and respect that decision without trying to change views.

Personally, I have honey on my breakfast yoghurt every morning, and meat two or three times a week.
Old 29-04-2014, 11:53   #329

Quote:

Its true that many people exploit living things for their own benefit but to accuse beekeepers of exploiting bees for honey is to overlook the fact that if it wasn't for them many foods vegans love so much would no longer be available. Remember beekeepers keep bees so that farmers can produce food crops like almonds, onions, oranges, sunflower seeds, pumkins, the list goes on and on. Beekeepers work very hard to keep bees alive in spite of all the chemicals people dump into the environment that is pushing our pollinators to the edge of extinction. Those consumer products you buy at the store to control ants, bugs, hair conditioners shampoos laundry soaps, solvents, the list goes on and on of consumer products containing manmade chemicals detrimental to the world around us but we use them anyway. That is exploitation not beekeeping. In fact most beekeepers I know except for hobbists keep bees for crop pollination not honey production.
Without bees my friend you do not eat!
Old 29-04-2014, 12:13   #330
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Its true that many people exploit living things for their own benefit but to accuse beekeepers of exploiting bees for honey is to overlook the fact that if it wasn't for them many foods vegans love so much would no longer be available. Remember beekeepers keep bees so that farmers can produce food crops like almonds, onions, oranges, sunflower seeds, pumkins, the list goes on and on. Beekeepers work very hard to keep bees alive in spite of all the chemicals people dump into the environment that is pushing our pollinators to the edge of extinction. Those consumer products you buy at the store to control ants, bugs, hair conditioners shampoos laundry soaps, solvents, the list goes on and on of consumer products containing manmade chemicals detrimental to the world around us but we use them anyway. That is exploitation not beekeeping. In fact most beekeepers I know except for hobbists keep bees for crop pollination not honey production.
Without bees my friend you do not eat!
In response to the questions about honey not being allowed in a vegan lifestyle I have done some online research and posted links to vegan sites. The Vegan Society states that honey is not allowed, as they are the founders of true veganism, I don't think you can argue with what I have been saying. I am not trying to advocate a vegan lifestyle, just trying to explain my original statement.