Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 22:45   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

"Animal friendly recipes that rock"

Coops.
Old 11-12-2013, 22:49   #242

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
"Animal friendly recipes that rock....
...your boat.

Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 22:50   #243
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
...your boat.

Even better. "Animal friendly recipes that rock your boat". It's a start. Can we improve then?

Coops.
Old 11-12-2013, 22:58   #244

I think the issue for SL is she wants the words "vegan" and "vegetarian" to appear in the thread title so when people search for "vegan recipes" it will show up in a search.

Of course, *my* way - having it as a sub-thread of the "Provisions..." thread, it would be more easily 'findable' and one would not need to search.....

Let's see what happens when the mods bang their heads together. Who knows what 'sparks' might be generated...??
Old 12-12-2013, 00:07   #245

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Posting the photo for everyone to drool over . Britt's Zucchini chocolate cake with orange icing:
Well I never considered icing for this cake but I will have to give it a try. Amazing to see others enjoy and transform this old recipe since it comes from humble beginnings of a poor young mother living in Montana who had an over abundance of zucchini and a need for dessert.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 14:40   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Posting the photo for everyone to drool over .
Britt's Zucchini chocolate cake with orange icing:
Britts???? hum..Not mine yours!!...grrrrr.....my recipe wouldn't have made runny iceing!....te..he....My recipes always turn out perfect

no no, totally my fault

Actually the cake turned out very nice even though it dosen't look so good. Next time I will leave out the sugar and maybe add chocolate froasting. I hardly ever use sugar, always honey, except when doing things for the first time. Honey is twice as sweet as sugar so you only need half the amount to obtain the same degree of sweetness and it is hydroscopic so your baked goods will stay nice and soft longer. Those benefits plus the savings of almost 50% of the carbs over sugar makes it a must use in my cookbook.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 14:45   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
Well I never considered icing for this cake but I will have to give it a try. Amazing to see others enjoy and transform this old recipe since it comes from humble beginnings of a poor young mother living in Montana who had an over abundance of zucchini and a need for dessert.
You can make a very delicious cake with this recipe that is low in carbs. The trick I used was to use unsweetened cocoa and 92% chocolate chocolate bits. Then if you use honey instead of sughar in the recipe you can remove another twenty five percent or more of the carbs and still have a delicious cake.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 15:19   #248

If circumstances ever required it, I'm pretty sure a Vegan would taste better than a Non-Vegan. Likely a lot less fat & gristle. Just good lean meat devoid of preservatives!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 15:43   #249

So if "long pig" is the omnivorous human 'meal', what do we call a vegan version?

Long lentil? Long non-meat?

Or is the difference more subtle - between "grass-fed" long pig, and "omnivorous" long pig..???

Who knew cannabalism could be so fraught with choices...?
Old 12-12-2013, 17:01   #250

Boat: Beneteau 323
Ahh... long pig.

I grew up in Papua New Guinea and was in contact with people who "remembered" canabalism. It was a remarkable time, thousands of wide eyed villagers coming down from the mountains to coastal towns. Bones in noses and ears etc. Real tattoos. Teeth knocked out for ceremonial reasons. My step brothers step father was in the PNG special forces and talked about being invited to eat long pig in the Highlands in the 80's. I bet someone is still eating somebody up there. The Highlands are a mystical place... but I digress.

In any case, the story was during WW II the Japanese soldiers were preferred to the Australian soldiers, um, tastewise. We figured this was because the Japanese ate primarily vegetarian diets.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 16:31   #251

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.

How is "pig", of any sort, related, in any way, to vegans, of any kind, or lovers, of anyway ?
William A. Ward
puregeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 23:36   #252

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I was specifically thinking of the no-meat recipes on this thread, but there's no reason on earth why other "stickies" could not be created for different food groups.

How about, "1001 things to do with canned meats" - which could cover corned beef, SPAM, chicken, fish....

"Boat BBQ, what do you use yours for?" Roasts, grilling fish, foil-wrapped baking, as a bread oven...

"Just desserts - sweets and puddings" - reckon this one would be popular

"Boat baking - biscuits, cakes and yummy stuff" - ditto this one

So we start a thread for each, and once there's a few recipes and pics posted, start a "stickie" under the Liveaboard section to re-post "recipes only". Winnow out the dross every few months, maybe quarterly...???
Hi Buzz
Just to bring you up to date, an assortment of threads was considered a better idea than a single vegetarian/vegan thread. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to manage a project as big as this and other mods all have their hands full as it is.

So for now I will just keep upgrading the index and the beginning of this thread as new recipes appear.

If anyone tries any of the recipes and posts photos (and feedback), I am happy to go back and add this to the specific recipe. I think this would add to the interest.

Also, new recipes would be wonderful. Anyone have any favourite recipes to contribute?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 12:55   #253

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Is honey vegan food?? I believe it comes from farmed bees, no?

Still, way better than "ethical" vegetarians who drinks milk, and eat eggs, or farmed fish,and whatnot..

"It's wrong to hunt, but breeding entire populations who live and dies just for their products is aye'OK"??

.manitu
Old 18-12-2013, 04:14   #254
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

True ethical vegans will not eat honey, wear leather products etc etc... Im not an ethical vegan but when Im alone on the boat in my work mode i eat a vegan diet. Mostly for heart health and to avoid the chemicals in feedlot meat and meat products.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 04:22   #255
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Foraging at Sea

Im always trying to avoid the grocery store when I can. Mostly because when i spend it means I have to work more. I was reading on the site eattheweeds.com and came across their seaweed section. Now this interests me. I didnt realize that most of the seaweeds such as sargassum were so commonly eaten in other parts of the world. Im definately going to try some of the recipes they supply. Do others out there harvest seaweed for consumption while crusiing?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote