Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 12:51   #196

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

I think Vegimite might not list their ingredients because you're not supposed to use those words in polite company.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 14:28   #197

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> In todays worlf of Monsanto's and duponts I prefer to know what I am eating

VEGEMITE FAQs

The ingredients in VEGEMITE have not changed since it was first introduced in 1923. Our recipe is a closely guarded secret, however we can tell you it's full of B vitamins, contains virtually no fat, and contributes almost no kilojoules to the diet.
VEGEMITE, as well as all our products, does not contain genetically modified material
VEGEMITE is suitable for both vegans and vegetarians. The product is made on a dedicated production line and does not contain or come into contact with any animal derived ingredients.
VEGEMITE products are certified kosher by Kosher Australia
VEGEMITE is certified Halal by The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:22   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> In todays worlf of Monsanto's and duponts I prefer to know what I am eating

VEGEMITE FAQs

The ingredients in VEGEMITE have not changed since it was first introduced in 1923. Our recipe is a closely guarded secret, however we can tell you it's full of B vitamins, contains virtually no fat, and contributes almost no kilojoules to the diet.
VEGEMITE, as well as all our products, does not contain genetically modified material
VEGEMITE is suitable for both vegans and vegetarians. The product is made on a dedicated production line and does not contain or come into contact with any animal derived ingredients.
VEGEMITE products are certified kosher by Kosher Australia
VEGEMITE is certified Halal by The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils
Well unknown ingredients are not going to enter my body. If you wish to eat mystery foods that your business but I want to know what I am putting into my body.

Most vegans and vegetarians become so because they care about the quality of their food and are concerned about what it may contain.

Would you buy a box from the store labeled, Vegetables, but then on the back it says the ingredients will not be disclosed to protect the manufacturer? Well that's exactly what vegemate does.

Dosen't matter how many very important people or companies say it is good stuff. Remember all the important people that were running around telling us how harmless smoking was for us? And cigarettes have been around for much longer than vegemate.That's like saying, Trust me, its good for you.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:49   #199

Boat: Still building

According to scuttlebutt here, it's made from the leftovers of the beer brewing process and as such is yeast and malt based. According to the label, this might actually be true....

No doubt if they told you *exactly* what it was made from you'd think "yuk" and not buy it...this way a bit of mystery is probably mainly "commercial in confidence".

However, under product labelling law in Oz, the *container* has to state the ingredients and I quote from the label on the jar out of my cupboard:

Concentrated yeast extract
Ingredients: Yeast extract (from yeast grown on barley), salt, mineral salt (508), Malt extract (from barley), Colour (150c), Flavours, Niacin, Thiamine, Riboflavin, Folate.
Allergen information: Contains barley
Suitable for vegetarians.

Serving size is 5gm (ie: not much!!)
Nutrition Information per serving: -/-Avg Qty per 100g:
Energy 40kJ -/- 798kJ
Protein 1.3g -/- 24.5g
Fat - total - Less than 1g -/- Less than 1g
--saturated - Less than 1g -/- Less than 1g
Carbohydrate Less than 1g -/- 19.9g
Sugars Less than 1g -/- 2.2g
Sodium 173mg -/- 3450mg
Niacin (B3) 2500µg -/- 50mg
Thiamine (B1) 550µg -/- 11mg
Riboflavin (B2) 430µg -/- 8.6mg
Folate (B9) 100µg -/- 2000µmg

And for those curious about the "additive" codes, Mineral Salt 508 is apparently Potassium Chloride (interestingly listed as being used in brewing...)
Colour 150c is a 'caramel' "Dark brown colour made from sucrose in the presence of ammonia, ammonium sulphate, sulphur dioxide or sodium hydroxide."

Hope that clears up the "ingredients" question for everyone?

Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:57   #200
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
Well unknown ingredients are not going to enter my body. If you wish to eat mystery foods that your business but I want to know what I am putting into my body.

Most vegans and vegetarians become so because they care about the quality of their food and are concerned about what it may contain.

Would you buy a box from the store labeled, Vegetables, but then on the back it says the ingredients will not be disclosed to protect the manufacturer? Well that's exactly what vegemate does.

Dosen't matter how many very important people or companies say it is good stuff. Remember all the important people that were running around telling us how harmless smoking was for us? And cigarettes have been around for much longer than vegemate.That's like saying, Trust me, its good for you.
Presumably your are USA based.
Vegemite might not be a god in Oz, but it certainly advises god on matters concerning foodstuffs. Small "g" intentional so as not to offend some.

Asking what is in vegemite is akin to asking what is in coke (the cola) or what your grandmother puts in her apple pie. It is not done in polite circles.

BTW, I think is fairly well accepted in Oz that coke is bad and vegemite good.

YMMV.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 16:13   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Presumably your are USA based.
Vegemite might not be a god in Oz, but it certainly advises god on matters concerning foodstuffs. Small "g" intentional so as not to offend some.

Asking what is in vegemite is akin to asking what is in coke (the cola) or what your grandmother puts in her apple pie. It is not done in polite circles.

BTW, I think is fairly well accepted in Oz that coke is bad and vegemite good.

YMMV.
Do you really think a large corporation will take offense because I won't eat their product?....Well maybe they would cause if no one buys the stuff they will be out of business.
I'm sorry but I choose not to use either coke or vegemite. I don't trust either company and neither is my grandmother
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:10   #202

Just made a cheese and vegemite sanger for lunch and had a look on the side of the jar.

Concentrated yeast extract:
Ingredients:
Yeast extract (from yeast grown on barley and wheat)
Salt
Mineral salt (508)
Malt extract (from barley)
Colour (150c)
Flavours
Niacin
Thiamin
Riboflavin
Folate

Allergen statement: contains barley and wheat

Nutrition Information

Serving size 5g
Energy 40kJ
Protein 1.3g
Fat (total) < 1g
Fat (saturated) < 1g
Carbohydrate < 1g
Carbohydrate (sugars) <1g
Dietary fibre 0.3g
Sodium 173 mg
Thiamin (B1) 0.55 mg
Riboflavin (B2) 0.43 mg
Niacin (B3) 25 mg
Folate (B9) 100ug

Almost as good as beer!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-12-2013, 18:13   #203

SNAP
Old 02-12-2013, 18:28   #204

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee some of these dishs in this post are really great when ya add a little pork or beef, or fish to em !! Connie cooked up one or two of em, one with pork and one with beef! And they was some good eatin !! Nothing like a little meat to finish off a dish !! But then we are old and and don't est stuff like vegimite!! LOL We sorta feel if it don't bleed it can't be to good to eat !! LOL
Old 02-12-2013, 18:30   #205

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsofli View Post
I Love this thread. I am vegetarian trying to be vegan
Well I've been following it and most of the stuff being posted is not vegan

If the ratio doesn't improve we should change the thread title to "Non-Vegans Make Good Thread Hijackers"

Then there's the question of foods like Vegemite that have mystery ingredients like "color" and "flavor"... is that healthy?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 18:33   #206

The Vegemite additives were fully outlined in my previous on this....

Perhaps you need to read the thread and 'keep up'...??? LOL
Old 02-12-2013, 20:26   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Then there's the question of foods like Vegemite that have mystery ingredients like "color" and "flavor"... is that healthy?
Sorry, can't resist

I would say that colour and flavour (even color and flavor) are very healthy as without them, we wouldn't eat very much of anything. The whole point of making and serving good nutritious food is for the food to have wonderful flavors and exciting colors. Well at least this so in my kitchen; YMMV.
Old 02-12-2013, 20:28   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
SNAP
Opps...
Wot begs forgiveness
Old 02-12-2013, 20:37   #209

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Sorry, can't resist

I would say that colour and flavour (even color and flavor) are very healthy as without them, we wouldn't eat very much of anything. The whole point of making and serving good nutritious food is for the food to have wonderful flavors and exciting colors. Well at least this so in my kitchen; YMMV.
colour and flavor that come from chemicals are not food. They are food additives. In the case of chemical based "colour and flavor" the very best things you might say is that they're not harmful, and that's dubious. The very best things you can say about some additives such as vitamins and minerals is that they're necessary, because many processed foods wouldn't be very nutritious without them.

It's very difficult to avoid additives these days, unless you stick with raw and whole foods (not processed and prepared before you buy them). In the "vegan" spectrum there are many variations of dietary philosophy. Some vegans are OK with processed foods and additives, including chemical colour and flavor. Others are not OK with those things, preferring whole and organic non-GMO foods that are closer to the way nature provides them. As YMMV, we all need to make our own choices.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 20:37   #210
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Well I've been following it and most of the stuff being posted is not vegan

If the ratio doesn't improve we should change the thread title to "Non-Vegans Make Good Thread Hijackers"

It's just rolling along, gets deflected by the odd stone or rock, but it regains control and keeps going. Everyone is having fun and getting some new ideas. Seaworthy will give 'em a whack if they get too far out of the channel.

Coops.