Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 15-11-2013, 08:27   #166

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

Below you will find a photo of my lunch today -- Vegan pizza:

1) Your favorite pizza dough (whole grain recommended)
2) Your favorite meat-free pizza sauce
3) Grilled veggies -- whatever you have on hand (the photo shows onions, eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, red peppers, mushrooms)
4) Olives (green, black, Calamata, whatever)
5) Beans (adds protein; in this case using white beans)
6) Optional to taste: Black pepper, Red pepper flakes or pepper-infused hot oil
7) Non-vegan option for pescatarians: Anchovies

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 09:55   #167
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Mung bean and potato curry with pilau rice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131115_194806.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	70495   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131115_195049.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	70496  

Old 15-11-2013, 10:28   #168

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

The pictures are making me hungry! I like that kind of stuff (vegan pizza, etc) but it takes a little time to prepare everything. So - for the impatient (such as myself) - I offer a little modification.

What I do is purchase the premade pizza thins (they come three flats to a package, and only cost a few bucks). Then I purchase a tub of peach-mango salsa, a can of black beans (organic) - and a bag of pre-cooked, pre-seasoned, and moistened rice (the kind you just throw in the micro for 90 seconds). I like the tang in the Spanish rice version.

Butter the skillet, let the butter melt on med to med-high heat, and throw a flat into it. Since this is the vegan version, I'll skip the cheese, but I'd normally let the flat get up to temperature, and sprinkle a fair amount of cheese across the flat. I sometimes heat the salsa and beans, sometimes not - but I do micro the rice for 90 seconds. Then, I just layer the ingredients onto the flat like I was making a quesadilla, while watching the bottom of the bread until it browns to just the right color. I grab a spatula, and flip the flat bread - half over half - like an omlette. Then I slide it onto a warm plate. Yum.

The nice thing is that it can be done in five minutes. Sometimes I skip the pizza flat and make a burrito bowl of the same ingredients. Really quick lunch.
Old 15-11-2013, 11:14   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregeorge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass
For centuries standard pizza crust has simply been flour, water and yeast, with a touch of sugar and possibly salt and olive oil (see my recipe way back in post #46). Why doesn't that pass as vegan?
For some reason I was thinking eggs in the batter

your right it would pass for vegan I suppose
I say suppose in case there comes about some really finicky vegan that may find fault with what we think is vegan. __________________

vegans don't eat dairy
Vegan - What is a vegan? - What do vegans eat?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:38   #170

Boat: Catalina

FWIW, using chia seeds as a binding agent is a great replacement for eggs. They hold 10x their weight in water and work wonders.

link

A good book is: Living Vegetarian Cookbook, Paul Gayler. There's plenty of others.
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 17:34   #171

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.

Try this and you can eliminate all the cooking dangers in the gally
RAW VEGAN
Beans, nuts and seeds can be sprouted. Sprouting softens and growth makes them easier on your digestive tract.
Beans, nuts and seeds can also be processed through a coffee mill and made into a flour. Flour can then be added to ground chia or flax (egg replacement), coconut oil and water to make "pancakes" or "cookies". Do not fry or bake. Dehydrate them. Simple process: set on cookie sheet or was paper etc. Place on foredeck in hot sun several hours. Store in coffee can etc. last several days if dehydrated sufficiently.
William A. Ward
puregeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 17:49   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregeorge View Post
Try this and you can eliminate all the cooking dangers in the gally
RAW VEGAN
Beans, nuts and seeds can be sprouted. Sprouting softens and growth makes them easier on your digestive tract.
Beans, nuts and seeds can also be processed through a coffee mill and made into a flour. Flour can then be added to ground chia or flax (egg replacement), coconut oil and water to make "pancakes" or "cookies". Do not fry or bake. Dehydrate them. Simple process: set on cookie sheet or was paper etc. Place on foredeck in hot sun several hours. Store in coffee can etc. last several days if dehydrated sufficiently.
I've used a variation of this and they are quite tasty
Old 22-11-2013, 21:59   #173

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
......for the impatient (such as myself) - I offer a little modification.
......The nice thing is that it can be done in five minutes. Sometimes I skip the pizza flat and make a burrito bowl of the same ingredients. Really quick lunch.
Sounds great! I make a version of this (without the rice) using tortillas. It is very useful when we have dropped anchor and I just need to get a meal on the table with a minimum of fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdog View Post
FWIW, using chia seeds as a binding agent is a great replacement for eggs. They hold 10x their weight in water and work wonders.
I will get some when I am back in Australia (biannual visit this year) and try them out. They may be extremely handy for emergencies. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
Mung bean and potato curry with pilau rice
I can vouch that NornaBiron's mung bean curry is delicious! Several years ago I remember being at a total loss regarding what to do with pulses (I had no internet on board then and had rarely cooked with pulses at home) and NB took pity on me and passed over this recipe. Look how far I have progressed . Pulses would now be part of our meals probably half the week.

The reason I have been silent for a couple of weeks is that we hit civilisation and shops again and so I am not restricted by availability (and the lee bow thread has kept me busy ). The eggless cake experiment earlier in this thread does not have to be repeated anytime soon, not that it was a disaster. I did learn lots the last few weeks by deliberately stretching myself. Also the two choc cakes recipes that members sent me (one with zucchini and one with beetroot, but not vegan as they contained eggs) have become firm favourites and both have made several times now, so I am very glad I started this thread.

Regardless of the unrestricted availability of ingredients, vegan dishes are still often prepared. Last night's choice was the pumpkin and red lentil (made with red sweet potato instead) with pine nuts. Yummmm .

I would love some new vegan boat recipes to try, so please keep the suggestions coming. We hauled out a couple of days ago and will be busy scraping and sanding and cleaning and polishing for the next couple of weeks, so my contributions will be lean for a while.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 15:59   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
. I did learn lots the last few weeks by deliberately stretching myself. Also the two choc cakes recipes that members sent me (one with zucchini and one with beetroot, but not vegan as they contained eggs) have become firm favourites and both have made several times now, so I am very glad I started this thread.

chocolate cake recipes?/ I must have missed those

Edited by Seaworthy lass: I have started a new thread with the cake recipes, as they we not vegan and upsetting some members.
See: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ke-116488.html
Old 25-11-2013, 01:59   #175

Boat: Still building
GOOF BALLS

All these vegetarian recipes got me salivating...so I dug thru the recipe book for one which I had been promising to make for myself for YEARS but had always been too busy to attempt...

GOOF BALLS..!!

These are vegetarian patties - a 'hamburger' replacement if you will - but in Australia these are called 'rissoles' (or more colloquially 'assh***s'), but are frequently described by the genteel as 'veggie burgers'.

The recipe comes from an old acquaintance, Maz Mawhinney, who shared a commune - and a few of her recipes - with us in the seventies. Why they are called Goof Balls I have no idea, but that is their name.

Her original recipe had no quantities (typically 'hippie'), just a few vague 'instructions', so I have attempted to quantify them as I went....

GOOF BALLS

1/2 cup cooked green or brown lentils
1 grated carrot
100gms grated cheese (substitute dried parmesan if that's all you have)
1 lge finely chopped brown onion
100gms of finely chopped celery
4 tbsps olive oil (sesame oil 50/50 for added flavour if you like)
2 whole hens eggs
2 cups plain flour
salt, pepper, herbs, spices to (your) taste. I like plain pepper and salt, but a bit of dried chili goes a long way....

Optional: cup of cooked peas (fresh or dried).

Soak lentils all day in clean water; drain. Add to 2 cups stock, bring to boil and cook 10 mins or until tender, not mushy. (OR use a 440gm tin of pre-cooked lentils)

Saute onion and celery together (add garlic if you like) and allow to cool a bit

Mix all ingredients in large bowl, adding flour till mix is very sticky and can form balls that will hold together (but probably will stick to your hands like glue)

Place a cup of flour on a plate. Form mixture into patties and roll Goof Balls in flour, gently, bringing the flour up and over them. Handle *gently* at this stage - it's important not to let them fall apart.

Let them sit for 15mins on a plate (or in fridge).

Shallow fry in olive oil (add sesame oil and sesame seeds as well for a bit of zing if you like).

It's important to place them carefully using a thin metal spatula, sliding them off gently so they don't fall apart, and leave as long as possible before you turn them the first time so the flour cooks and forms a crust. It's okay to shake the pan back and forth gently, à la Jamie Oliver, to prevent them sticking to the pan.

Turn them *carefully* and cook the other side. Roughly ten minutes a side, or until they are as brown (or not) as you prefer. I like mine 'crunchy' on the outside, they stay together better.

Makes approx 8 patties, or enough to serve four medium appetites (with your choice of veggies). I like mash, as it helps bind everything together, and peas, carrots, whatever....

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo0260.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	71029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0261.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	71030  

Name:	Photo0262.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	71031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0263.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	71032  

Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 23:47   #176

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
......The first try substitute one measure of honey for each two measures of sugar called for in the recipe. Honey is also hygroscopic so your cake or what ever will tend to stay nice and soft.
I also substitute honey frequently in cakes, usually using 1/2 cup when 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar is called for. It is particularly good in banana and date/fig cake recipes. It does make the cake denser though, so I find it less good for the light, moist chocolate cakes I make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
PS: I thought there were two recipes?
I am holding out on the second until you try the first and give me some feedback .

Old 25-11-2013, 23:55   #177

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: GOOF BALLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
All these vegetarian recipes got me salivating...so I dug thru the recipe book for one which I had been promising to make for myself for YEARS but had always been too busy to attempt...

GOOF BALLS..!!
Goof balls are vegetarian, not vegan, but we will let that one slide as you are new to the thread .

I make a similar version, but instead of 2 cups of flour, I use a cup of fresh breadcrumbs, half a cup of quick oats and half a cup of flour and only one egg for that quantity. It makes the burgers less "gluish".

I like mine crunchy on the outside too. Adding a little sesame oil is a great suggestion, I will try that next time. In fact, I am making mushroom and walnut burgers for dinner tonight and will try adding sesame oil then.

PS Seeing the Blue Willow china made me nostalgic. I grew up with those plates for everyday use. My mum had selected them as she had grown up in the 20's with them. I carried on the "tradition" at home, but have none on board.

Old 26-11-2013, 00:02   #178

The Willow pattern stuff I have came fomr my grandmother's house, and is down to a few plates and a few teacups and coffee cups, but I figure 'just use it'....
Old 26-11-2013, 00:15   #179

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
The Willow pattern stuff I have came fomr my grandmother's house, and is down to a few plates and a few teacups and coffee cups, but I figure 'just use it'....
I have the same philosophy too when it comes to china - just use it and enjoy it. I have nothing for "best". The good stuff is surprisingly tough. I have not broken a single piece of bone china on board in over six years now. If my hand luggage can take it I plan to bring back a few more items from home this coming trip. I figure since I emptied a couple of lockers of books since I purchased my Kindle (and I have few shoes on board), I am allowed a little more china .

Old 26-11-2013, 15:04   #180

Nothing quite like a cood 'china plate'....