Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 17:58   #136

re: Mouthwatering Boat Recipes (mainly plant based)

A Curry of a Life has quite a few good recipes
http://www.acurryofalife.com

This one uses frozen mixed veggies, but we have done this recipe on the boat with canned mixed veggies and it works just fine. Just don't cook very long, as the canned veggies are soft already. We also use Rotel tomatoes - the lime juice/cilantro style works well in a lot of Indian recipes as substitute for chopped tomatoes

EASY WEEK NIGHT VEGGIES

INGREDIENTS

1 head of garlic, finely chopped *
2 onions, finely chopped
1 jalapeño chili (optional), finely chopped
2 teaspoons salt
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Kitchen King (or garam masala)
3 pounds of pre-cut frozen mixed vegetables **
* you can also use 2 teaspoons of garlic paste or garlic and ginger paste to make it quicker (if using paste, add the chopped onions then add the paste and cook it together.
** Make sure that the frozen vegetables you buy are all pre-chopped. Avoid buying the bags of uncut vegetables (baby carrots and baby broccoli, etc.) it takes too long for them to cook.

1. Make the “tarka” (aka: the flavor base)
Heat some oil in a medium-high pan. Add the chopped garlic. (if you are using paste, add it along with the onions later)

Fry the chopped garlic until it turns a light golden brown.

Add the chopped onions and fry for a few minutes until they are translucent and light brown. If you are using the garlic and ginger paste add it along with the chopped onions.

Add 2 teaspoons of salt and mix it in with the onions

2. Add the spices:
Add two spoonfuls of garam masala or Kitchen King.

Add the chopped tomatoes.

To help them cook faster, you can press them down so they release quicker.

Cover the pot and let them cook for 5 minutes until they are soft and their juices have released.

3. Cook the veggies:
Add the bags of pre-cut mixed vegetable. Give it a good stir so the veggies are coated in all the flavor. Cover the pot and let it cook on medium until the veggies are cooked through. The carrots take the longest, it should be about fifteen minutes. Give the veggies a stir every 5 minutes so they do not burn.

Test the doneness by tasting the vegetables for softness.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 19:31   #137

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.

Don't forget the pressure cooker. And how aboug one of these
Wonderbag - Home
I will add one of these to my galley. I love to make one dish meals and this would be great and eliminate this problem:
Give the veggies a stir every 5 minutes so they do not burn.
Heat it and leave it. "Totally new concept!" Can't remember who said that but he wasted a lot of watermelons.
Pressure Cooker? They can be dangerous and I never seem to have a doctor in the house when I injure myself.
William A. Ward
puregeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 21:47   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregeorge View Post
Pressure Cooker? They can be dangerous and I never seem to have a doctor in the house when I injure myself.
Hi Pure
You take your life in your hands every time you step into your kitchen/galley . Your kitchen knife and probably 90% of the other items are way more dangerous than a pressure cooker when used incorrectly. Why the pressure cooker phobia?

I did not have one at home. I am a total convert now for three reasons:
- Little gas is needed (try lugging cylinders containing 12kg of gas in and out of the dinghy and to the exchange point a few times and you will see the value in this )
- Almost no steam is produced (really important when you have no exhaust fan).
- The contents remain 'sterile' until you open the lid. EDITED TO DELETE
Note: I do not include "speed" as a reason, as I never actually leave the pot on while it is pressurised.

"Forgetting" about a pressure cooker is near impossible on board. Unless you decide to go for a swim you are never more than a few metres from the pot and can clearly hear the hiss when it comes to pressure. At this stage I instantly turn it off. I then leave it for ten minutes for vegetables like potato and pumpkin, an hour for casseroles and stews and soups.

If I am cooking beans/chickpeas and they will not be cooked further in the actual dish I am making, then I bring them to pressure one more time after an hour. Same goes with chicken stock (although I know you won't be making this, others may appreciate the tip). It sounds like the Wonderbag eliminates the need for a second heating though. I will get one this winter.

Apart from Heinz baked beans, I keep no tinned beans or chickpeas on board. The dry stuff is far superior: it lasts for years, weighs little, is inexpensive, easy to bring on board, found more easily in more remote places, takes up much less storage room than tins, it creates no rubbish you need to dispose of, and best of all it doesn't taste tinny . A pressure cooker enables you to cook dry beans very simply with very little gas used.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:34   #139
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

The Wonderbag is wonderful! I've used it three times today already. First to make yoghurt overnight, second to tuck my bread up whilst it rises and third to make a pot of squash soup. I brought the pressure cooker to high, turned it off and put it in the bag. It will be ready and hot when we're hungry.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:52   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
- The contents remain 'sterile' until you open the lid.
If you do a little research, you'll find that this statement isn't true. The seals on pressure cookers aren't as good as they are on autoclaves
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
If you do a little research, you'll find that this statement isn't true. The seals on pressure cookers aren't as good as they are on autoclaves
Yes, that's true . And why I put the word in inverted commas .

I would happily keep things for 12-24 hours though in a pressure cooker if it hasn't been opened, something I would never dream of doing simply in a pot, particularly in warm weather.

Do you think the 24 hours is a problem? It is occasionally chicken, eg when I am making stock. I haven't managed to make myself ill yet LOL and chicken is about one of the worst things to try keeping safely. I would revise what I do if it is not recommended.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:43   #142

Keeping food in a PC has been discussed here… search and thou shalt find…
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ger-54750.html
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21   #143

Boat: AMF Sunfish, Hobie One,(Holder 14) Rhodes Conntenetal 22 and Sea-Ray, Ski Ray 180.

Okay I add a PC to my galley, do see the bennies here. I also took a look at the PC thread, temp plays a very important role
But I keep adding to my galley and I'll have to figure a way to install a slide out on the boat, like on the camper LOL
William A. Ward
Old 06-11-2013, 08:23   #144

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Keeping food in a PC has been discussed here… search and thou shalt find…
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ger-54750.html
Well, I am not the only guilty one then LOL.

I would absolutely never reheat leftovers and do this though. It is just the initial cooking of fresh food. And I wouldn't leave it 2-3 days, as some members have reported they do regularly, despite them living to tell the tale!!! It was relieved to see two who admitted this nearly 3 years ago were still online today .

I am not convinced that the small amount of air seeping into the pressure cooker would induce much growth of organisms over a 12 hour period, particularly in winter, but I understand the risks and will stop doing this. Thanks for picking me up on this.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:55   #145

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJah View Post
...here's a recipe for meatloaf without the meat. Yummy!

Glaze
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 2 tablespoons molasses
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 2 tablespoons mustard
• 1/4 cup water

Ingredients
• 1 cup oats
• 1 small onion, diced
• 1/2 large green pepper, diced
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
• Salt and pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together all glaze ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a food processor, pulse the oats until chopped well, but not into a powder.
4. Add onion, green pepper, garlic and sunflower kernels and pulse again until well combined.
5. Add in chickpeas, pinto beans, chili powder, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Pulse until beans are almost nearly pureed. Leave a little bit of texture.
6. Spoon bean mixture into a greased loaf pan and even out.
7. Pour glaze over bean mixture.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until glaze is caramelized and loaf is solid.

Meatloaf night here and I tried a vegan 'meatloaf' for the very first time. The ingredients varied slightly from Soul's, according to what I had on hand and the fact that hubby doesn't like chick peas or too much chilli. I threw in a grated carrot. I had no molasses, so used brown sugar and added balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce to the glaze - OK, I confess, I used the ordinary not vegan stuff .

SOULJAH's MEATLESS 'MEATLOAF' (slight variation)

Glaze
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
• 2 tablespoons mustard
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Ingredients
• 1 cup instant oats
• 2 tablespoons EV olive oil
• 1 small onion, diced
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 large green pepper, diced
• 1 carrot, peeled and grated
• 1/2 cup sunflower kernels
• 1 mug (300g) raw navy beans, cooked in pressure cooker
• 2 teaspoons chilli flakes
• 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• Salt and pepper, to taste

The method varied slightly too. I have no food processor so I mashed the peas. I sautéed the garlic and onions for 5-10 min and tossed the carrot and green pepper in for the last few minutes.

Comments: As promised, the flavour was definitely yummy and I will make this again. It received a thumbs up from the ruthless critic I have on board . We both prefer the browned, slightly crunchy exterior of burgers though, so next time I will form patties and shallow fry these. The glaze can then be simmered separately for 5-10 minutes until it thickens up and then poured over just before serving.

I am running out of a lot of fresh supplies at this stage. It has been 3 weeks since my last reasonable shop (even then I bought the store out of yoghurt and eggs so purchases were not plentiful). A few veg have been available since, but I have been limited by what I could carry on long walks. I am starting to delve into dry plant based supplies more and more and searching out new recipes to experiment with. Only so much toast and vegemite a lassie can live on . We are still eating well enough not to feel any need to divert from these beautiful, isolated spots in search of provisions.

Thanks for your recipe SoulJah x.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	69963  

Old 06-11-2013, 10:19   #146
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

I am running out of a lot of fresh supplies at this stage. It has been 3 weeks since my last reasonable shop (even then I bought the store out of yoghurt and eggs so purchases were not plentiful). A few veg have been available since, but I have been limited by what I could carry on long walks. I am starting to delve into dry plant based supplies more and more and searching out new recipes to experiment with. Only so much toast and vegemite a lassie can live on . We are still eating well enough not to feel any need to divert from these beautiful, isolated spots in search of provisions.

Thanks for your recipe SoulJah x.
We will probably be with you on Friday, do you want me to bring fresh provisions?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58   #147

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We will probably be with you on Friday, do you want me to bring fresh provisions?
Thanks, that is really kind of you, but I know you have no shops in the bay you are in, so it would need an extra stop, so don't worry. I never run out of pizza supplies, so my hubby is in heaven at the moment and says we definitely don't need anything LOL .

Horrid thunderstorm here right now. Wind gusting to 40+ knots, hail and heavy rain. Snuggled down with banana cake and coffee .

Old 06-11-2013, 11:06   #148
Marine Service Provider

We've got shops, I'm heading ashore for a couple of things early in the morning. T & L here too.
Old 06-11-2013, 13:31   #149

SWL
If your hubby doesn't like chick peas may I suggest you use garbanzo beans in there place. Either one replaces most meats (nutritionally speaking), as in humus. Another good replacement is tahini. You can make your own humas or tahini by putting beans (for humas) or seseme sedds (for tahini) through a coffee mill then adding a little pure spring water to the resulting flour. If you want you can use coconut oil or first press olive oil instead of water for a different flavour and better texture.
BTW SWL ,where did you say you were? Could you use a deck hand? and most important what time does the dinner bell clang?
William A. Ward
Old 06-11-2013, 14:41   #150

SWL in regards to that cabbage pizza (which sounds real tasty), it won't pass as vegan if you are using a standard pizza crust.
But here is a gluten free vegan version:
1 cup Bob's Red Mill GF baking flour.
You can grind your own grain into flour if you like (garbanzo bean flour)
1/2 cup potato flour
Haven't figured out how to grind them into flour yet
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp egg substitute (2 Tbl flax seed flour + 6 Tbs wate
1 Tbs agave nectar (can use rice or maple syrup)
1/2 cup "milk" (hemp, almond, or coconut)
2 Tbs oil (coconut or grape seed)

Combine flours, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Mix well
In seperate bowl whisk "egg","milk", sweetner and oil together, then fold into dry ingredients to form dough.

Press onto lightly oied pan to form a thick or thin crust.
Add your favorite veggies or fruits. Also try coconut flakes, nuts and or seeds

I bake mine in a convection oven about 10-15 min

"TOTALLY NEW CONCEPT" Gallagher (the watermelon guy)
William A. Ward