Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58   #76

Re: Milk - anyone know a tasty brand of milk powder ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
Strength and fitness are not necessary the same thing, i only need to look in the mirror to know that. The link between fitness and health is clearly a fact. While i am sure that you understand the difference between strength and body building training many dont. Then we get to the issue of over training and the wear and tear on joints leading to loss of moblity in later life with the resulting loss of fitness.
Strength training is a core component of fitness, tied with nutrition. Take bone density: increased through impact sports (which people are scared of) and strength training (which people are scared of). You can get barely-marginal increases in other ways, but for things like broken hips from falls (a huge issue for the elderly, women in particular) the blend of balance, strength, and bone density that you get from proper strength training cannot be beat.

Body building is to strength training what contortion art is to yoga: an extreme state that really is more about body modification than fitness.

Regarding the physical appearance part, this is my wife at our daughter's one year old birthday party. That's one year after giving birth. Nutrition and barbell work; the results (at least to me) speak for themselves. She also started her own business that year.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05   #77

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Re: Milk - anyone know a tasty brand of milk powder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Nido dry WHOLE milk.

The whole milk has a shorter shelf life than the nonfat stuff, but since you will be willing to actually use it it will not stay on the shelf for years.

It's all about the whole, not fat free variety, and I think Nido is the best. Hersheys brand.

Pretty common in the latin markets.
Nido is a Nestle product.

I agree that powdered milk must be 'whole' and never the 'non-fat' crap that is commonly sold in the USA. Dutch Lady is another very good brand. As is Anchor. Be aware that some of the whole powdered milks dissolve instantly in cold water and some clump up. Same is true for dissolving in hot water. Depending on whether you plan to use the powdered milk in hot cocoa or coffee or as a cold milk, you might want to shop different brands.

Judy

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 20:24   #78
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel
Of the many kinds we had onboard, we found this brand tasting best (read closest to the real thing):

Bienvenue sur le site d'Isigny Sainte-Mère

Cheers,
b.
Called into the factory last year. Fantastic factory shop, there creme fraiche is the best on the planet.

Dave
Old 03-02-2012, 21:50   #79
dtj

Hi Lin and Larry, I met you both at the boat show">Annapolis boat show 2011 and bought four autographed books from you. It was a pleasure to meet you both.

To your questiion about milk. My boys drink a gallon a day. We aren't out sailing yet but probably with in the next 6 months as we get to boat ready to sail. We will be trying all kinds of milk options in the next couple of weeks and we will let you know. Hubby and son are very picky about their milk so i will trust their judgement on what taste best as compared to store bought regular milk.
dtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:28   #80

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtj View Post
snip My boys drink a gallon a day.
That sounds excessive. Cow milk isn't the perfect food source it's cracked up to be, unless perhaps you're a calf. Many people have allergies to milk protein and I'm not just referring to lactose intolerance.

There is an excellent book that covers food allergies called "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp. Amazon.com: Is This Your Child? (9780688119072): Doris Rapp: Books

Some symptoms may only develop over a long-term. Symptoms of milk allergy may include any one or multiple of the following:
  • Loose stools, which may contain blood
  • Diarrhea
  • "Skid marks" in underwear (Also can also be from eating excess meats/fatty foods. Some people who get it regularly might think this is normal but it's actually caused by poor digestion/diet. Vegans rarely get this.)
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Coughing or wheezing
  • Runny nose
  • Chronic cough
  • Mouth-breathing
  • Watery eyes
  • Itchy skin rash, often around the mouth
  • Colic, in babies
  • Hives
  • Wheezing
  • Vomiting
  • Headaches
When symptoms develop over long term or exist only in mild form it's generally not readily associated with food. If you or your kids have (or develop) any of these symptoms, try an elimination diet and you will know within 48 hours if milk (or another food) is a contributing factor. After elimination identifies the issue it's often possible to re-introduce the problem-food after a few weeks but at reduced relative intake levels without issues redeveloping.

Also milk increases mucous production in almost everyone, and aggravates symptoms when you catch a cold... so should be avoided at those particular times.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:46   #81

Boat: 33ft sloop

I have a small qty of powdered milk, ELK (French) on board as I do not drink milk but need it for pancakes and hot chocolate (poeroet), which is my favo for nightsailing as I don not drink coffee after 12.00 hrs. For the longer trips I would buy a tin of KLIM. For the coffee I use tinned or UHT cream in small bricks as small as possible. Outside the fridge they don' last long. But here differ our tastes as one not does not know or have our kind of coffee in the rest of the world.
Every country has it' s own way of burning and it's own blends. Exceptions are Lilly and the like. But Nescafe for example is per country different. (This according to Nestle).
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01   #82

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

When I was a kid, my parents went to powdered milk when money was tight. I didn't like it at all. As I got older and moved out, I tended to stay away from powder milk.

On one of my trips to Colombia for work, I was in places where electricity was usually out and decided to try powder milk for cereal and found some that I liked in this silver, white and green bag.

I had to do some searching to find out what the company was but I found a picture of what I got and their website, Colanta.

The attached picture is what I got. Looking at their site, they changed the look of the bag so it took longer to find.

So, if anyone travels to Colombia this is something you could look for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colanta.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	36901  
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 17:56   #83

Re: Milk - anyone know a tasty brand of milk powder?

Quote:
Nido dry WHOLE milk.

The whole milk has a shorter shelf life than the nonfat stuff, but since you will be willing to actually use it it will not stay on the shelf for years.

It's all about the whole, not fat free variety, and I think Nido is the best. Hersheys brand.

Pretty common in the latin markets.
I wholeheartedly second Nido Whole milk. Cold it is pretty good.. I use it all the time.. even on land.
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:34   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drake

For coffee...which is a must have...I used canned, condensed milk (unsweetened). It is wonderful in coffee. I do not use the fridge on my boat, when cruising. I have found that I can poke just a single hole in a can of canned milk, then cover with a clean cloth after use and it will stay good for days (it is sterile, after all). Keep the cloth or paper towel in place with a rubber band, or similar.

John
+1.
Canned unsweetened condensed milk is excellent in coffee. I remember when I lived in Germany in the 80's people actually preferred it to fresh milk for coffee (and their coffee was much better than ours, too). I would definite take some of that on a long ocean crossing, in case the UHT runs out
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 13:16   #85
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

nido milk has a funky aftertaste not present in the off brand made in mexico--mimarca and some others, as there are other ingredients added--soy lecithin does present with an aftertaste...... i buy the ones without that addition.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:39   #86
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Milk - Anyone know a tasty brand of milk powder ?

Quote:
my mom went through trying to convince my sister and me that the dry stuff was as good as what came outta the carton... and I am tellin you man, no matter what she did, half dry half fresh, dry camouflaged into a fresh milk container, chocolate added, it NEVER worked. We used to suss it out like a pig scents truffles.
; -D
Mate, you remind me of the tricks my parents used to pull with the Pripsen. Hell, they would RUIN perfectly good Angels' Delight, and I would HATE them for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+1.
Canned unsweetened condensed milk is excellent in coffee.
Canned condensed milk is good anywhere. Especially on a spoon straight from the can.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:51   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Milk - Anyone know a tasty brand of milk powder ?

Neat milk is one of the most disgusting tasting things on earth... right next to fish..
However Nestles sweet condensed is ok... just.... added to coffee

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote