Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-11-2010, 16:44   #46
Scurvy Dog

MarkJ's method is the most practical way to brew on board and will provide good results.

Here is a good intro to how to do it when you can boil 5 gallons at a time and have plenty of water to cool it off.

Illustrated Beer Brewing Primer - German Pilsner Partial Mash

The quality of the beer made this way will be better than the quick method that MarkJ uses, but you can still brew good beer using his method.

Skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 19:34   #47

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, Mates. Heaps of liveaboards home brewing down here in N.Z. Wtih a 80 liter/hr watermaker and heaps of storage, no worries about running out here. Plus, an 8kw genset and 1200 liters of diesel, you can open your bar to serve it nice and chilled to the perfect temperrature.

P.S. A tip, the local store brand sterilizer can be used to lay up your watermaker when not in use. Much cheaper than the buying it from the watermaker folks.

P.S.S. Keep an eye on sugar prices the next few months. You might want to stock up now, it won't be getting any cheaper for awhile. Cheers.

Old 03-11-2010, 20:57   #48

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
I'm with Mark and Skylark, Keep It Simple Stupid on board a boat, leave the fancy brews where you have time and space.

Just started a nice Baviran Wheat fermenting and just started drinking a really good Brown Ale.

Never thought of the sugar cube idea.

I used priming sugar for carbonation when I bottle, have to be careful with plastic bottles though. Too much sugar, you have a mess and no beer.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 20:59   #49

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Just how chilled do you fellows down under like it?

[QUOTE=matauwhi;553543]G'day, Mates. Heaps of liveaboards home brewing down here in N.Z. Wtih a 80 liter/hr watermaker and heaps of storage, no worries about running out here. Plus, an 8kw genset and 1200 liters of diesel, you can open your bar to serve it nice and chilled to the perfect temperrature.QUOTE]
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 21:14   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post

P.S. A tip, the local store brand sterilizer can be used to lay up your watermaker when not in use. Much cheaper than the buying it from the watermaker folks.
Please elaborate.

On my planet, "Sterilizer" could mean a lot of things, many of which are not friendly to RO membranes.
Old 03-11-2010, 22:24   #51

G'day, Minggat. Sodium metabisulfite is one of the most common sterilizing and cleaning agents. It is very "friendly" with your RO membranes and well as the beer bottles! All the best. Cheers.
Old 03-11-2010, 23:06   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matauwhi View Post
G'day, Minggat. Sodium metabisulfite is one of the most common sterilizing and cleaning agents. It is very "friendly" with your RO membranes and well as the beer bottles! All the best. Cheers.
Ok, I'm gonna make myself look really stupid here. 36 years in water treatment, currently commissioning a large desalination plant in Indonesia.

Yes, sodium metabisulfite is the right stuff. I am simply not aware of how it's marketed to the public. Feeling duh.

So my question still remains. You can go right to the shelf and pick up a box sodium metabisulfite? What brand names is it sold under?
Old 04-11-2010, 00:14   #53

G'day, Minggat. Licensed, professional chemical engineer here who used to work for a subsidary of the original RO membrane manufacturer. I have depackaged the sodium metabisulfite, so don't have the brandname it's sold under here and a bit of a sail to get to the local market at the moment. Sodium metabisulfite is clearly identified as the "active ingredient" on the rear labeling with some kind of brewers kit sterilizer on the front. Cheers
Old 04-11-2010, 00:42   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not being a partaker of the brew, (don't know why I was reading this thread, but glad I did) looking for brewers kit sterilizers would not be a part of my normal pattern. But you comment caught my interest and got me thinking it would be a more common item that any houswife would recognize. I did a little searching and found that it's the active ingredient in a product called Stump Out. Home and garden stuff, not so much a home cleaning "sterilizer" sort of product, but available to the consumer just the same.

So thanx a mill for the tip. Not only is the water makers supplied stuff expensive, it can be not-so-easy to get your hands on.

Stump Out- about $8 US/lb. If anything, paying too much has given me the right to feel stupid.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:08   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Ok, I'm gonna make myself look really stupid here. 36 years in water treatment, currently commissioning a large desalination plant in Indonesia.

Yes, sodium metabisulfite is the right stuff. I am simply not aware of how it's marketed to the public. Feeling duh.

So my question still remains. You can go right to the shelf and pick up a box sodium metabisulfite? What brand names is it sold under?
Sparklebrite is one common one.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:31   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Sparklebrite is one common one.
Not a name I'm familiar with, Googled it.

From "Wine Sense"

WineSense handles three different products for cleaning and or sanitizing,Sparkle-Brite,Aseptox and Sodium Metabisulphite. Each one of these three products has different features and a package of each is included with yourWineSenseStarter Kit.

SPARKLE-BRITE: a chlorine based cleaner-sanitizer.
---------------------------------------------------------
I'd have to say that if this the same Sparklebrite you're talking about, that this was one of my fears when I first read "sterlizers" in this thread.

Chlorine and membranes are not friends. So Sparkle-Brite, at least this one, is NOT a good choice for purposes of this conversation. If there's another one that you're talking about, please let us know.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:24   #57
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

If your looking for sterilizers whats wrong with the tablets used all over the world for purifying baby's feed bottles...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23   #58
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Listen here, 'Ol Hummers... The ain't no boiling de wort! Their ain't no grain, hops and kit that goes off or needs storage!
Careful there Mark, them long keelers are out to get yeah,

Dave
Old 04-11-2010, 06:54   #59

Interesting read.

Like so many, I started out with extract brewing and ended up with a 40 gallon, all stainless brewery and small walk in refer consuming most of my garage. I even had an agreement with a guy who raised pigs to bring him the spent grains in exchange for meat.

Hobbies can get out of hand. I got tired of committing a whole day to brewing and cleaning equipment and finally parked the whole kit. I miss my beer. I think I’ll visit the homebrew store this weekend and pick up an extract.

Is there any way to use plastic water bottles? I was thinking, instead of sucking the water out of these, open and pour into another container and then add a smidge of sterilizer in the empty bottle shake and recap. Just throw them away when done. I hate washing bottles!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:32   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
If you fellas would read the frickin website I supplied a few times (above) you'd see that your living in the past and need to get a big rev into the future!
Actually the no-boil kits are more like a blast from the past than a big rev into the future. They've been around for decades. That's what I started with about 15 years ago. Then I moved onto boiling the wort, which really does make much better beer.

Of course, if you want to brew award winning beer (and I have) then you need to mash your own grains and use whole hops.

But you really don't need to brew award winning beer in order to enjoy a cold one now and then. The no-boil kits make beer that is quite acceptably good.

One thing I might suggest is trying some better varieties of brewers yeast, rather than the generic little packet that Coopers sticks under the lid. Here is a link to some of the dry yeast packets that are available from a well-known American homebrew shop. Their Windsor was always my favorite for pale ales.

DRY BEER YEAST @ Williams Brewing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: