Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2013, 09:18   #1

Boat: 1972 Morgan 35
Menu Ideas For Overnight

I'd like to prepare as much as possible before we leave. Two lunches, one dinner, one breakfast. We have a small round charcoal Magma as out only cooking resource. Has anyone ever used a skillet or pot on a charcoal grill?
nolandinsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 06:22   #2

Boat: Beneteau 41
Actually I have. May I recommend a cast iron skillet. Works good over charcoal. Normally when I cook with only a BBQ pit, I keep it to steaks and baked potatoes or hamburgers. Potato salad made day before or coleslaw. May I recommend a single burner Coleman camp stove. Oh yes, for coffee I use a percolator or a French press. Sounds like you are going to have fun. Enjoy. :-)

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
CapRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 06:39   #3

Take a thermos fill it with hot water for 10 minutes. Dump the water out put hot hotdogs in, they will stay very warm form many hours. Hot food in the night tastes extra good. Soups or stews are also good choices. I second on the camp stove as I have put pans on charcoal works fine but make the bottom of the pan a mess that gets on everything. Also charcoals is a hassle at best in the middle of the night.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 12:30   #4
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: Menu Ideas For Overnight

Almost anything can be cooked on a charcoal grill in foil packets. With the new, nonstick foil you can even make pretty good fried eggs. I also use the thermos to cook hot dogs but use a somewhat different technique. Pre-heat a wide-mouth thermos with boiling water. Discard water and fill halfway with more boiling water and add hot dogs. This keeps several hours depending on the thermos. When you fish out the hot dogs with tongs, excess fat stays behind in the hot water. Open canned beans, etc. remove paper and heat over charcoal grill. Don't use charcoal under an enclosure because of CO. I could live on sandwiches made with a hearty peasant bread, good cheese and grainy mustard. They keep a couple of days without a fridge and they are always ready, rain or shine.
Old 27-05-2013, 13:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Menu Ideas For Overnight

Get some nice red peppers (4-6) and chuck them on the grill.. cook till skins blackened and blistering.. remove from heat and shove in a brown paper bag...
While they're cooling slowly get some olive oil.. 1 garlic clove, Tspoon dried Oregano, fresh ground Black Pepper and a pinch of salt... some chopped Basil and Parsley... mix together well and put to one side.
Now skin and deseed the peppers, cut lengthways roughly 1" wide and chuck in with the oil mix... leave overnight
Serve with a nice bread torn into chunks.. yummy
Will keep at 5C for up to 1 week

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2013, 13:15   #6

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

While underway, pea soup and lentil soup are the #1 favorites. Sounds simple but we're actually adventuresome cooks at anchor and soup is just GOOD while you're going. Apple & pear slices, great cheese and a great baguette is another huge hit.
Just a FYI, BBQing bacon upwind in the anchorage is evil and good.
Old 27-05-2013, 13:22   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you put liquid detergent on the bottom of the skillet or pot you want to use, it will be easier to clean, both after cooking over a wood fire and over charcoal.

Ann
Old 28-05-2013, 14:41   #8

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
If you put liquid detergent on the bottom of the skillet or pot you want to use, it will be easier to clean, both after cooking over a wood fire and over charcoal.

Ann
I've heard of that before.

Does it impart any unwanted flavours into your food?
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 14:52   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry Frank,

I was unclear. The detergent goes on the outside bottom of the pan, not the inside! :-)

Ann
Old 28-05-2013, 17:25   #10

Quote:
Sorry Frank,

I was unclear. The detergent goes on the outside bottom of the pan, not the inside! :-)

Ann
It does work, but cleanup is a mess (used this method a lot when I was young) just get a camp stove. They are cheap easier to light and in my opinion safer that charcoal on a boat. I said my pinion and I don't have any data on that.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 18:05   #11

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Sorry Frank,

Ann
Well, that makes more sense.

Apparently I didn't take my anti-doofus pill this morning. I should have picked up on that.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 13:14   #12
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

This was an old Boy Scout trick taught to me by my Dad but he used Fels Naphtha soap. It's soft enough to rub on and cling to the outside of pots. I've also use Ivory, which is another soft bar soap.
Old 31-05-2013, 13:34   #13

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Summer time is SALAD time! Start with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, parsley, cucumbers, cauliflowers, red radishes and onions...cut into bite size and mix. Mix light olive oil (cup size) with a teaspoon of vinegar and the juice of a whole lime or lemon...this will be your dressing. Add salt, feta cheese and cracked pepper, after adding and mixing the dressing to the salad. This is a meal by itself; a hearty lunch. If you like, you can add protein of your choice; fish or poultry. I would just eat the salad alone for lunch, with a few slices of baguette and brie/blue cheese. Bon appetit! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote