Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2006, 11:05   #1

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Meals on Fin

How much food (from those of you who are cruising away from home base) comes from the ocean? Is it a staple in your diets?

And what is most common? fish, crawlies or otherwise?

2 divers

This was supposed to be a poll, but the filter at work ate it... well maybe next time...
Old 19-05-2006, 21:41   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I think you will find seafood (as opposed to fish) generally more tightly regulated (license required, or taking banned) so less likely to be legal especially if it is shallow enough to dive for it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 21:58   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
2 divers
I use to run dive charters to the Bahamas (part time) for about 10 years,mostly 3-5 nights out (live abord) and provided 100% of the meat used in the meals twice a day with either fish, conch or lobster for usualy 4-6 people.
Most of it was taken by free diving /pole spear or Hawaiean sling or fishing, some was through tradeing with the locals. I dont think there was ever a time I could not get a meal quickly by jumping in (unless the weather was bad & had to stay in.)
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 23:03   #4

Well.

If I caught any edible fish. Regardless, if it requires a license or not. I'm going to eat the fishy!!

About the banned fish. As long nobody outside my crew knows about it. I'm going to eat it!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 23:38   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
As far as I was aware there are no banned fish ,if you get them in the proper season, The nice thing about spearing your fish is you can see what it is your going to get before you get it, kinda like going to the fish market, When the Palm beach free divers club was just forming , I would take them to the bahamas almost every weekend in the summer months, for the first 2 years, As the folks got better at spearing fish my boat was soon getting over the limit, I had to put a stop to the guys taking so much, (it made me feel sick) they would bring the fish back to Fl & Sell them, so I stopped that
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 19:40   #6

When I first glanced at the title of this thread. The first words that went through my mind was "Meals On Wheels!!". Your mind does play tricks on you after a long hard day.

But really realized what the title really said.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 12:57   #7

The thing I loved about sailing was the fresh seafood. As Ram said, in the Bahamas, it is easy to spear either grouper, snapper or as a last resort, grunts.

Nothing better on the grill. And unlike the diners that tout "it was swimming today", you know it is really true. One of my favorite dishes is cracked conch but I found it was easier and better at the little Bahamian food shacks.

I actually got tired of lobster (crayfish)!

I also remember pulling into developed anchorages and smelling that distinct smell of meat cooking...and a cheeseburger or steak never has tasted better than after weeks of eating nothing but fish!
CaptainRic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meals