Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 20:24   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Meal Stretchers

Just to bragg a little !! I just found a Jambalaya pot that will fit the BBQ Ive saved for my next boat 18 inchs round and a gas BBQ fires it just great !! Gonna make for great Pot Lucks aboard or on the beach !! Just used it to day for the first time since I got it seasoned!! Made some good kine Jambalaya make ya sweat just a little !! LOL
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok, guys--you bring it to the potluck when we met--i know a gumbo maker also--lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 13:36   #18
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
That's assuming you have a wild variety of foods onboard. Good in town, but less likely on a sail.

So I say just add water.

b.
This sometimes makes sense, especially with leftover pea soup. I can never seem to get to the end of it. EVery day it gets thicker. Add broth instead of water for a richer soup
Old 05-06-2012, 14:18   #19

pea soup--i invite a hungry man over and no more problem...sometimes if he is too hungry i add rice to it or barley..barley is awesome in pea soup.
Old 06-06-2012, 13:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Unexpected company? Steaks too skimpy? Catch too sparse? What are your favorite meal stretchers? Mine include: add extra can of beans to chili, top small steak or burger with a fried egg, add a can of tuna or other seafood for a small catch and make chowder.
I usually add starters when a meal needs to be stretched. I carry extra crackers, tortilla chips. That goes well with anything I can find in the cans or in the corners of the fridge: hummus, fire-roasted sweet peppers served with olive oil and garlic, cheese dip, cream cheese dip, olives, tapenade, tuna spread [I make it look bigger with onions and whatever canned veggies I have], etc.

This makes the table look more opulent and people are not as hungry for the main course.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 23:59   #21

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Katiusha -- are you finding cream cheese in Turkey? If so, what is it called? All I have found thus far has been a very salty creamy cheese that really is not a suitable substitute for real cream cheese.

Thanks,

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:42   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Katiusha -- are you finding cream cheese in Turkey? If so, what is it called? All I have found thus far has been a very salty creamy cheese that really is not a suitable substitute for real cream cheese.

I use either Pinar Beyaz Peynir sold in square tubs or Pinar Labne - very airy not salty spreadable cheese also sold in square tubs (try Labne - it's like whipped cream/cheese). I also sometimes come across some suzme yogurt in the markets that tastes very close to cream cheese, but I don't remember the dairies that make it...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Anything Flour based (Bread / Pasta etc)
or Rice
of from a Tin Can (Tomatoes / Beans / Whatever).

Sometimes can be difficult to remember what the recipe started off as .......or to recall what has actually gone into the pot over the previous days / week? .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:24   #24
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

How about giving us a 101 on how to make a great jambalaya? I didn't even know it was made in a special pot. Yes, I can make a roux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Just to bragg a little !! I just found a Jambalaya pot that will fit the BBQ Ive saved for my next boat 18 inchs round and a gas BBQ fires it just great !! Gonna make for great Pot Lucks aboard or on the beach !! Just used it to day for the first time since I got it seasoned!! Made some good kine Jambalaya make ya sweat just a little !! LOL
Old 12-06-2012, 05:23   #25

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran

A stir fry goes a long way. If you already have cooked meat and vegetables just adjust the timing. Photo is garlic, fresh ginger slivers, onions, chicken, cashews, broccoli and stems, carrots, mushrooms (I had fresh on hand but dried work great, especially shitake), and red pepper. If no red pepper, I use seeded and slivered tomatoes. Supplement with canned bamboo shoots, canned sliced water chestnuts, you get the picture.

Marinade if meat is not cooked: 1 Tbsp water, 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch, 1/4 tsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp. baking soda, 1 Tbsp. sesame oil, or whatever you have on hand.

Sauce:1 cup water (or mushroom juice from soaked dried shitakes), 4 tsp. corn starch, 4 tsp. sherry (best) or wine or beer, 1/2 tsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, dash pepper, 2 tsp. sesame oil, 4-6 Tbsp. oyster sauce, and if using beef, add 1 Tbsp. black soy sauce. Or whatever you have on hand.

Stir fry in 3 Tbsp. oil in your wok or BIG skillet, start with meat, add garlic, onions, ginger, then veggies. Stir sauce mixture with a fork, add to wok and cook till sauce turns clear and thickens a little, just a minute or so and remove from heat.

Serve with Jasmine Rice and fruit.

You can serve a lot of folks with 1 pound of chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, and lots of rice and fruit.

And take note - NO MSG!

Entlile
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8909.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	42177  
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23   #26

Boat: Morgan 321, BELIEVE

ALL RIGHT!!!!! I have had enough. After reading all of these post, I'm hungry. I got to get something to eat. And I know I do not have anything to match any of the recipes. I hope you all are proud of yourselves. LOL
Duke 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:55   #27

eat a tad less. Everyone gets to lose an oz or two...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:01   #28

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

1000 and I haven't yet had a proper breakfast. Gotta say this was the wrong thread to start with this morning! lol

Bob/Connie, do you have a specific recipe you use for your jambalaya? I am intrigued...

Cindi
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:10   #29

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran

Forgot to mention 1 Tbsp. of chili garlic paste in the stir fry above. Entlie
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30   #30

what about real chiles..we have sooo many here butno aste--i slice poblanos and serranos into fine bits then add to my pan of food i am cooking..or to the marinade, or sauce...good sauce for poaching tuna(fresh) is made of 4 poblano chiles, burned and skinned...then coconut milk, mango, fresh, and onions and garlic...cook down into a semi liquid state... add tuna and poach until tuna is flaky. serve with mwxican rice---cook rice with veggies--bell peppers(red, orange, or yellow for color), corn, summer squash..sauce is also good for shrimps....as well as other meats from land or sea---chicken, other types of fish---precook chicken or pork first.....