Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15   #1

Boat: sportscraft,30-power
Mayo

ok, this is not whether it keep without refrigeration or not. or will kill you or not

I don't use mayo on land and don't seem to miss it. I have cut the mayo out of my life due to cholesterol and sat fat content etc. i have decided not to make mayo part of my boat provisionings. am I missing something? are there more usages for mayo on a boat than on land? and if you really wanted to make mayo couldn't' you mix it yourself using a blender? we already decided that eggs keep pretty good and oil should be available. isn't it just a matter of blending it?
Ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:20   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: MAYO

lol--i use so little mayo i waste most of the smallest jar to fishies--but it is so cheap isnt a worry. mixing own is a good experience..many leave out the important stuff...is raw eggs, water, vinegar, oil. the eggs are the emulsifier for keeping it together without separating......and the killer factor of real mayo.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:27   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
ok, this is not whether it keep without refrigeration or not. or will kill you or not

I don't use mayo on land and don't seem to miss it. I have cut the mayo out of my life due to cholesterol and sat fat content etc. i have decided not to make mayo part of my boat provisionings. am I missing something? are there more usages for mayo on a boat than on land? and if you really wanted to make mayo couldn't' you mix it yourself using a blender? we already decided that eggs keep pretty good and oil should be available. isn't it just a matter of blending it?

But you KNOW that will come up, don't you ...

Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like it, or don't miss it, don't eat it.

I don't eat a lot, but I don't like a dry sandwich. And for whever reason, I don't have a cholesterol problem (yippee!) I guess I could make it with a blender, but I live on my boat with a minimalist galley. While I do have a whisk, I don't have a galley. However, it has all piqued my curiosity and maybe homemade mayo is better.

Not sure about that, though. My French MIL studied cooking at the Cordon Bleu in Paris and was the most amazing, most phenomenal "home cook" I ever knew, but she didn't make her own mayo.

And, I have had eggs go bad. Personally, I wouldn't take eggs on an extended cruise (say, two weeks), or if I did, would eat them early in the cruise. Remember, I'm a coastal cruiser. I'm not going to be gone months at a time.

That's just my take on it. I don't have a cholesterol problem, and while I don't eat it daily, I like mayonnaise.

My favorite sandwich is a fried egg with the yolk broken, some grilled onions, a slice of cheddar cheese, with mayo on both pieces of bread. Yum.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Try replacing it with avocado, nice and creamy, tastes a heck of a lot better :-) so what if your egg salad is green, it's delish.
Erika
Old 09-07-2013, 08:40   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofer View Post
i have decided not to make mayo part of my boat provisionings. am I missing something?
Just freakin crazy talk
Old 09-07-2013, 08:53   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
If you don't eat it on land, why would you miss it on the water?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:07   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Forget mayo, go with Baconnaise!!!! Mmmmm
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:21   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Mayo

Raku,

If the eggs are fresh, and have never been refrigerated, we were able to still use them in pancakes and other baking at the age of 3 months without refrigeration! I was astonished. This was on our first trip from Mexico to French Polynesia. Refrigerated eggs DO NOT last so long.

To the OP, I agree with everybody else, if you don't use mayo, don't provision with it. Whoever visits you will cope without it.

Ann
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35   #9

Eat the same things on boat as you would on land, depending on availability....
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37   #10

Boat: PETERSON 44

for a long but reasonable explanation on egg storage check out this test
How To Store Fresh Eggs
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:13   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37

Mayo is blah, boring.
Miracle Whip, now yer talking... taste sensation!

Unforturnately, I can't eat MW because what's in it. Oh woe.. just punishing myself.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:19   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

Ofer said:

I have cut the mayo out of my life due to
cholesterol and sat fat content etc.

Why? Saturated fat is the most healthy
fat you can eat. Cholesterol is necessary
for every cell in your body. The Cholesterol
you eat is a minor fraction of the cholesterol
that is made by your body.

We've been lied to for 40 years and I
want everyone to know it.

Diet Doctor - Real food for your health (carbohydrates create bad
lipid profiles, not consumed fat)

The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. (10 part article on cholesterol)

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes (history of
diet research over the past 100 years)

Fat Head » About the Film
(enjoyable movie dispelling diet myths)

And yes this pertains to cruising and sailing. If
you are healthy, you will enjoy cruising and
sailing more.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:30   #13

Boat: Boatless
Was thinking about this the other day. I drive an 18 wheeler cross country. I have a 12v cooler that keeps things very cool, but not cold. Winter time it'll freeze water, summer, it's cold, but not super cold.

NATO goes bad in a hurry. Like others I hate dry sandwiches, but am trying to avoid processed meats. I will grab a handful of the little mustard, mayo, ketchup, and chopped onion packets at the truckstop. They keep forever.. just don't drop one on the floor, and step on it at O dark thirty with bare feet!!!!

Not that I've ever done that....
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:32   #14

Boat: Boatless
Mayo not NATO!!!!! Friggin autocorrect!!!!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:40   #15

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
But you KNOW that will come up, don't you ...

Different strokes for different folks. If you don't like it, or don't miss it, don't eat it.

I don't eat a lot, but I don't like a dry sandwich. And for whever reason, I don't have a cholesterol problem (yippee!) I guess I could make it with a blender, but I live on my boat with a minimalist galley. While I do have a whisk, I don't have a galley. However, it has all piqued my curiosity and maybe homemade mayo is better.

Not sure about that, though. My French MIL studied cooking at the Cordon Bleu in Paris and was the most amazing, most phenomenal "home cook" I ever knew, but she didn't make her own mayo.

And, I have had eggs go bad. Personally, I wouldn't take eggs on an extended cruise (say, two weeks), or if I did, would eat them early in the cruise. Remember, I'm a coastal cruiser. I'm not going to be gone months at a time.

That's just my take on it. I don't have a cholesterol problem, and while I don't eat it daily, I like mayonnaise.

My favorite sandwich is a fried egg with the yolk broken, some grilled onions, a slice of cheddar cheese, with mayo on both pieces of bread. Yum.
I don't get your egg problem. They will last at least a month and, if you can buy them fresh from a farmers market, even longer. All you need for storage is a dry locker and the plastic or foam cartons. Cardboard cartons are no good because they will fall apart if they get wet.

To store them even longer dip each egg in boiling water for 10 seconds then remove and cool.

As for the mayo, well it's just great stuff. It works so much better than butter in the tropics because it does not need refrigeration until you open it. On today's sandwich I used mayo with a use by of December 2012. I only opened the jar last week and it's fine. You should buy the quality brands such as Best Foods and Hellmans both of which are low in sugar and chemicals.

So ofer, grab some good mayo and give it a try. As a totally different substitute try light olive oil. Heat doesn't bother it and it moistens up dry bread pretty nicely. I only say " light " because extra virgin will make everything you eat on the sandwich taste like olive oil.

Popeye had that problem I'm told.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote