Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2013, 10:16   #241

Boat: OPB
Now that this thread has finally worked its way back to mayo, I will address a drift into sourdough a little ways back.

If you bake yeast bread regularly on your boat, you will likely have a nice colony of yeast living aboard with you. Sourdough is just a colony of whatever yeast happen to be living in the area. This is why sourdough changes over time. Especially if you buy, for example, a San Francisco sourdough starter and take it to Boston. Over time the local yeast will invade, or join your colony and alter the flavor. Boats, especially in warmer climes, are an excellent place for yeast to live so just leave some flour and water lying around and voila! Sourdough. Care and feeding do take a little effort to keep your colony strong, and as you travel your flavors will change as your yeast makes new friends at ports of call along the way.

That is all.

As you were.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 10:35   #242

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
SmartMove,

just curious... do you also like Miracle Whip?
No, my mom tried to force it on me for years though. I'm a mustard girl. When I have a recipe that uses mayo I use the real stuff.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 10:40   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

I'm just kind of surprised. I tried a Twinkie once. Didn't like it, never ate another one ... but those who love 'em don't want 'em messed with.

They weren't gone that long -- to change the recipe, I think it was a mistake. But it's all academic to me. It was the filling didn't like, not the sponge cake. For me if you're going to stuff a cake, do it with cream patisserie!
You know I hadn't had one in years, but as soon as they were gone it was all I could think about!

I'm going to skip trying the new version, not that I could get them here anyway, lol.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 20-07-2013, 10:57   #244
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Now that this thread has finally worked its way back to mayo, I will address a drift into sourdough a little ways back.

If you bake yeast bread regularly on your boat, you will likely have a nice colony of yeast living aboard with you. Sourdough is just a colony of whatever yeast happen to be living in the area. This is why sourdough changes over time. Especially if you buy, for example, a San Francisco sourdough starter and take it to Boston. Over time the local yeast will invade, or join your colony and alter the flavor. Boats, especially in warmer climes, are an excellent place for yeast to live so just leave some flour and water lying around and voila! Sourdough. Care and feeding do take a little effort to keep your colony strong, and as you travel your flavors will change as your yeast makes new friends at ports of call along the way.

That is all.

As you were.

You don't have to be on a boat to start it, though. I started my own sourdough in my kitchen long before I learned to saii.

It made really good bread, too. But I hated kneading bread and got a breadmaker.

I finally had to give it away because we were all gaining too much weight!

Regarding another debate we've had regarding mayo, just returned from a visit to my doctor. I eat it several times a week, along with 2% milk and real butter. My good cholesterol is high; my bad cholesterol is low. I also don't monitor my salt and have a particular fondness for a touch of sea salt, and my bp was 114/71.

I think there's a lot we don't know about all of this.

Oh yeah -- I am a little overweight. You'd think that would ruin a score some place, but nope ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2013, 11:19   #245
CLOD

Boat: none

not that it has anything to do with mayo

But aren't Twinkles something that proves that everything is better if dipped in batter, deep fried, rolled in powdered sugar, and has chocolate drizzled over it?
Old 20-07-2013, 11:44   #246

Bacon is great batter dipped and deep fried. Don't think it would benefit much from the sugar and chocolate tough.
Old 20-07-2013, 12:37   #247
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Bacon is great batter dipped and deep fried. Don't think it would benefit much from the sugar and chocolate tough.

bet mayo would go with that

back on topic
Old 20-07-2013, 13:30   #248
cruiser

Quote:

At the last Florida State Fair they were selling deep-fried butter on a stick.

Didn't go, but if I had I would have sampled it just on the principle of the thing.
Old 20-07-2013, 14:18   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

But aren't Twinkles something that proves that everything is better if dipped in batter, deep fried, rolled in powdered sugar, and has chocolate drizzled over it?
Never had one served that way, so can't say. But, I'm a purest at heart so probably not!
Old 20-07-2013, 20:59   #250

We had chicken fried bacon with deep fried pickles. Goes great with bourbon. Actually tastes much better than it sounds. Deep fried butter? I suppose it's possible, they have deep fried ice cream after all. Must use frozen butter.

I wonder if you could deep fry mayonnaise......
Old 21-07-2013, 16:07   #251
cruiser

So I just had to report this:

I was eating lunch at a restaurant and the sandwich had no mayo, so I asked for some

They brought out a room temp squeeze bottle of Hellmann's.

Very clearly on the label it said "Needs no refrigeration" --
Old 21-07-2013, 16:17   #252

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

You must be related to Elvis
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 16:22   #253

Boat: Prairie32

I almost asked ,why no one is using the squeeze bottle just this morning.just to build up my number of posts.guess I can add this to my archive.I like kippered herring too
Sheepshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 17:07   #254
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
At least a quarter of all wait staff I've encountered are confused when I ask for a side of mayo.

Of course it is for my fries.
You must have spent time in Holland which is AFAIK the only country that serves mayo with fries. Others are still without a clue, using vinegar and other disgusting things

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 18:54   #255

I thought mayo on fries was a Belgian thing....

I'll bet the squeeze bottle-no refrigeration thing is because they think it solves the contamination thing which is widely accepted as the undoing of mayo. While I believe in the contamination theory, I also refrigerate my mayo. For those that do not want to refrigerate their mayo, I would like to recommend Kewpie brand. It's from Japan and comes in the most excellent squeeze bottle of all time. The bottle is so soft it can conform into whatever space you have available and it has 2 different spouts one is 1/8 inch round and the other makes decorative florets. Taste wise, it's between Hellmans/Best Foods and Miracle Whip. If you see it I would recommend trying it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-873795648.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	64447