Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 11:40   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Thread drift here, but while we are on the topic of eggs .....
If they float discard them (rarely occurs, but still worth doing). It saves breaking eggs into other ingredients and then finding they have spoiled, or worse still not noticing .
Not noticing??? The few times that I have inadvertently opened a rotten egg there was NO WAY to not notice!! Yuck...

But the floating trick sounds useful... I'll try to remember that one!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-07-2013, 11:58   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not noticing??? The few times that I have inadvertently opened a rotten egg there was NO WAY to not notice!! Yuck...

But the floating trick sounds useful... I'll try to remember that one!

Cheers,

Jim
There is an early stage of spoiling where they will float but not smell.

Out of curiosity I have broken eggs that have floated and not all of them have smelled.
I wouldn't like to have eaten them though to test the reaction .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:51   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Thread drift here, but while we are on the topic of eggs .....

I try and buy only unrefrigerated eggs and here in Greece they are generally unwashed, which prolongs life further. I coat them in Vaseline. I have never needed to store them more than a month, but apart from the yolk being a bit runnier they are still good at the month mark.

If only refrigerated eggs are available then I give them several hours at boat temperature, then coat in vaseline. They have still lasted a few weeks.

All eggs are tested before use by dropping them in a small bowl of fresh water. If they float discard them (rarely occurs, but still worth doing). It saves breaking eggs into other ingredients and then finding they have spoiled, or worse still not noticing .
Option two is to always break the egg into a separate smaller bowl, then pour it into the batter/mixture/etc. My MIL showed us this. I've only seen it a few times where the egg broken into the separate bowl was actually bad, but it was nice to know I only lost one egg instead of the whole mix.
niget2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 13:16   #49
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by niget2002 View Post
Option two is to always break the egg into a separate smaller bowl, then pour it into the batter/mixture/etc. My MIL showed us this. I've only seen it a few times where the egg broken into the separate bowl was actually bad, but it was nice to know I only lost one egg instead of the whole mix.

It can happen when you're keeping them refrigerated as well.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 14:30   #50

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
I turn my eggs over every day and leave them I refrigerated. Leave them in the case and just turn them upside down then back up the next day. The interior of the egg stays moist all over which must keep them from spoiling. After a long while (month and a half) they don't sit up as nicely as fresh but are still good. After their gone I have powdered egg which works great.
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 14:51   #51
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayacondios View Post
I turn my eggs over every day and leave them I refrigerated. Leave them in the case and just turn them upside down then back up the next day. The interior of the egg stays moist all over which must keep them from spoiling. After a long while (month and a half) they don't sit up as nicely as fresh but are still good. After their gone I have powdered egg which works great.

You know, my mother did that, but I had completely forgotten about it. Hadn't thought about powdered eggs. I think they'd be hard to make deviled eggs with, but they'd be good for all sorts of other cooking.

I'm going to assume from MASH episodes that they don't taste all that good scrambled, but I have a picky palate. I couldn't figure out why I disliked skim milk so very much. Turns out most have powdered milk in them.

I DESPISE powdered milk. When I was little and we were poor, my mother tried to stretch the milk by mixing it half and half with powdered milk and none of us would drink it. She swore we couldn't taste the difference but I know I could.

I'm a milkophile. I prefer 4% but drink 2% just because I drink a fair amount of it. My cholesterol is low and I'd like to keep it that way. I also have to leave room for -- ICE CREAM. You can actually shake your way to ice cream on your boat. They sell those shakers in the store, but we did it with two plastic containers. However, you'll get much better results if you use rock salt, as you would in a standard ice cream maker. The hand-helds keep children occupied, wear them out so they sleep, and are lots of fun.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 15:10   #52

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Depending on where you are. I'm in Australia but from US. Here we can get great powdered eggs that are only eggs not some substitute. Not sure about those in the US. Also great powdered full cream powdered milk. My hubby is a milk snob and he even likes it. When were in port we don't even buy fresh. I do know in the US the milk powder sucks cuz it's skim milk, but I found full cream milk powder in the Mexican stores. It was great. I think the big difference is weather it's full cream or skim. We mix the milk powder into a bottle of cold water, seems to be much better that was as well and... Ya gotta have nestle quick chocolate sometimes. Great for when you need a chocolate fix. We provision for 5 months away from shops. The bummer here is that best foods real mayo cost $11 a jar! I still buy it.
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 07:07   #53

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

My recommendation would be to simply make your own mayo on the rare occasions you need it. That way, you can scale the quantity to your consumption and not have to worry about how fresh it is. However, making it whenever you want it also works well for those who like a lot more mayo, such as myself.

I've got a good recipe that's easy to make, emulsifies awesomely, and doesn't break. All it takes is the ingredients (few), a mason jar and a stick blender. I prefer using grapeseed oil for mayo because it doesn't have a strong flavour of its own.

If you want mayo, eat mayo. If you want butter, eat butter. Bacon? Get it in ya!!! I do...I eat the hell outta them, actually. It ain't the saturated fat that'll kill ya, it's the grains and sugar that do. The improvement in my & hubby's health since we went paleo/primal speaks for itself.

Cindi
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 09:00   #54

Boat: Able 50

Paleo Primal ? ? ?

Wasn't he an Italian wrestler ?
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 09:33   #55

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

We can't lump all grain into the bad pile. The problem is refined grain. Eat whole grain, or better still sprouted grain. Again if it comes in a bag, a box, a can, or a bottle, don't eat it. Interesting point about dairy. Have you ever seen an adult cow lay on it's side and shinney up under another cow to get some milk? Me neither. Infant food only. Pretty much like your wifes breast while breast feeding, off limits to you, unless your,,,,well we won't go there.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 09:38   #56

Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
We can't lump all grain into the bad pile.
Actually, I can and do. Not trying to be argumentative, and this is as far as my own body and health are concerned. After being off grains and then trying them again, either as a planned "cheat" or accidentally, when eating out elsewhere (something I no longer do, after enough incidents), I can say definitively that my body reacts very poorly to grains.

Other peoples' mileage may vary, but that is something they'll have to figure out for themselves. And almost without exception, it is very hard to recognize the effects grains (or other foods, depending on the individual) have on a person until they have stopped eating them for a period of time, and then reintroduced them.
Old 13-07-2013, 09:40   #57

As far as milk goes, if you can get your hands on some raw stuff, you can "clabber" it at room temperature.
Old 13-07-2013, 10:05   #58

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosinglesource View Post
Actually, I can and do.
I'm with ya on that one. I've been eating paleo for a few months, and its amazing how much better i feel.

.......i do cheat....with beer....and the hangovers are of epic proportions.
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 10:19   #59

Boat: Catalina 30

Krogensailor said:

We can't lump all grain into the bad pile.
The problem is refined grain.

Refined or not, grains have never been
meant for human consumption.

A couple of years eating Paleo/Primal for
me. All health aspects are enhanced.

YMMV
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 10:28   #60

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

It's true. Many people have a reation to grains. Particularly wheat. Probobly from being addicted to the refined wheat for so long that they are permenetly allergic to it. I get serious cravings if I have any refined wheat. Yet I can have a loaf of Ezekial bread in the refer and not have to eat it all in one day, (even if it's raisin bread). Colin Cambell' book the China Study has turned me away from dairy of any sort. We are all very unique and it is a job to find out what works and what doesn't. The only way I know of is to stop everything, and then begin to add thing's. When you get a neg reaction don't eat that. Or just continue eating the S.A.D. Standard American Diet, and take what comes with it. Your not wrong. It's just a personal choice. As regarding living on a boat, the simpler the diet the better.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote