Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 18:40   #106
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
[QUOTE="Rakuflames;1282021"]I'm a milkophile. I prefer 4% but drink 2% just because I drink a fair amount of it.[/CQUOTE]

Well that is one thing we have in common. Recently, I told a cruiser friends I had met down here I liked it better than rum and I thought they were going to string me up! Lol.

Robyn
__________________

__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 08:12   #107
Registered User
 
Krogensailor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Naples Fl
Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Posts: 355
Images: 13
Re: Mayo

A, they died because they got eaten or due to poor sanitation.
B, people are living longer because of the avarice billing structure of the medical community
C, As far as to labels, The ideal is to eat foods as close to the farm as possible.
D, I differ to you regarding "nonsense".

"Ignorance is contempt prior to investigation", Cherry picking in a discussion is just that. One can sense the temperament and attitudes of some folks on a forum by their tendency to cherry pick.. When cherry picking words and missing concepts is the tendency it belies a certain contempt.

Below is a edited version of the same idea's that you posted, sans contempt.
'It appears our predecessors, typically died much younger then current and perhaps our future generations
Despite eating all the modern foods our problems are people living too long not dying because of such foods.
I'm not saying that a diet of burgers is good for you but a healty diet with. Carbs, fats and proteins all eaten in moderation is the best.' I think that the idea of simply eating foods "without a label", may be too simplistic.'
You get to say what you think without poking the other guy in the eye. Forgive my editing your words, but I had a hard time hearing your point , what with all the ducking.
__________________

__________________
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 08:52   #108
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: OPB
Posts: 184
So....did cavemen eat mayonnaise? Wait a minute, were cavemen live aboard cruisers? Does that mean we shouldn't live on boats? Maybe it's houses that cause cancer. That's it, I am moving into a cave.
__________________
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:13   #109
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post

Its true, but a century isn't a very long time.

Dr. Fasano, director of the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research has estimated that 6-7% of the population is gluten-sensitve, however most don't even know it.

That's like 20 million americans, enough to make you wonder if we're really mean't to eat it.

Also with the advent of Agriculture, the human skeleton began to decline in size and health, when compared with their hunter-gatherer ancestors.

Dawn of agriculture took toll on health
And after a few thousands of years of agriculture we are are now way beyond our hunter gatherer ancestors in size and health. Humans have evolved and adapted to the new environment.
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:39   #110
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Central California
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 873
Re: Mayo

K_V_B said:

...after a few thousands of years of agriculture we are are now way beyond our hunter gatherer ancestors in size...

This is not true and easily refuted:

Farming to blame for our shrinking size and brains
__________________
Bill
...........................................
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy ribeye.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:56   #111
Registered User

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mangareva, French Polynesia
Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Posts: 513
Re: Mayo

Mayo works beautifully for removing beach tar from your feet. Thankfully not so much of a problem now that some guy managed to figure out how to fingerprint the oil to the ship that discharged it.
__________________
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 23:46   #112
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,242
Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
K_V_B said:

...after a few thousands of years of agriculture we are are now way beyond our hunter gatherer ancestors in size...

This is not true and easily refuted:

Farming to blame for our shrinking size and brains
Oh the joys of the internet. For every point of view there is a document out there that supports it, and another one that refutes it...
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 23:49   #113
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,242
Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
C, As far as to labels, The ideal is to eat foods as close to the farm as possible.
Getting food "as close to the farm as possible" isn't always possible. And isn't always a good idea either. I prefer milk that has gone through some quality control over milk direct from the cow anytime.
(and I was raised on milk direct from the cow).
__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 07:08   #114
Registered User
 
Krogensailor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Naples Fl
Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Posts: 355
Images: 13
Re: Mayo

Of course there a farm within 50 miles of anyone's home. 100 at most. I can deliver veggie that distance in a hour and a half. And we do everyday. I don't drink milk at all, because it infant food for a cow. Have you ever seen a cow lay on it's side and slide up under another cow to get some lunch? And of course you have gotten some dinner from your wife flowing breast. Some of this might make some sense if it was remotely connected to commonsense. Because the milk counsel has sold you a bill of goods regarding their product, you now require it. Returning to an imagined Paliolithic diet is Atkins being re-marketed, yet again. And even if we knew beyond doubt what those long gone folk were up to we could not duplicate it. The hybrid food today hardy represents the food of their time. Life move's along. Excepting the creationist out there, all life 'evolves', meaning it goes forward. Not backward. And for good reason.
__________________
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:23   #115
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Mayo

I wish I could disagree about milk but no, I think the milk lobby has earned their lucre, along with the wheat, corn, and sugar gangs. I was always a serious milk drinker but now:

Apparently the milking machines irritate the cows' nipples so the cows respond by sending white blood cells (pus) to repair the damage which, unfortunately is constant. So pus is going into the milk, plus the antibiotics from the dairy "farmer". I realize the milk is then pasteurized, blah blah, but knowing about the pus has ruined milk for me. The milk lobby responded to the high fat content of whole milk by removing it to produce low/nofat milk to make us feel better about drinking it.

I haven't had cow's milk in years. Now and then I try something new. The original version of Silk isn't bad. YMMV.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 18:31   #116
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I wish I could disagree about milk but no, I think the milk lobby has earned their lucre, along with the wheat, corn, and sugar gangs. I was always a serious milk drinker but now:

Apparently the milking machines irritate the cows' nipples so the cows respond by sending white blood cells (pus) to repair the damage which, unfortunately is constant. So pus is going into the milk, plus the antibiotics from the dairy "farmer". I realize the milk is then pasteurized, blah blah, but knowing about the pus has ruined milk for me. The milk lobby responded to the high fat content of whole milk by removing it to produce low/nofat milk to make us feel better about drinking it.

I haven't had cow's milk in years. Now and then I try something new. The original version of Silk isn't bad. YMMV.
Say it isn't so! I will never look at a glass of milk the same again, and I loved milk! What's a girl to do? Can't do the silk.

I was soooooo looking forward to a big, cold glass of milk with my Twinkies when I go home in October -- my dreams have been ruined!
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 19:31   #117
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Say it isn't so! I will never look at a glass of milk the same again, and I loved milk! What's a girl to do? Can't do the silk.

I was soooooo looking forward to a big, cold glass of milk with my Twinkies when I go home in October -- my dreams have been ruined!

I hear you legs kid.

I apologize for sharing that but the burden was too heavy to bear alone. And, like you, it took milk out of the picture for me. Silk out of the jug is OK in the middle of the night, AND ABSOLUTELY OK FOR CEREAL. I haven't replaced milk with anything. Beer, coffee and water. Any plenty of it. And I don't look at the early meal as breakfast anymore.

I think (without any more expertise than the next guy) we should stop eating white things and stick with colorful food.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 20:06   #118
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

I hear you legs kid.

I apologize for sharing that but the burden was too heavy to bear alone. And, like you, it took milk out of the picture for me. Silk out of the jug is OK in the middle of the night, AND ABSOLUTELY OK FOR CEREAL. I haven't replaced milk with anything. Beer, coffee and water. Any plenty of it. And I don't look at the early meal as breakfast anymore.

I think (without any more expertise than the next guy) we should stop eating white things and stick with colorful food.
Eew! I would have never polluted perfectly good milk with cereal!!! Not a breakfast person, in fact I detest most breakfast foods/meals -- lunch, I love all things lunch!

I'm right there with you on the colorful food thing. My weakness (other than milk) is bread ... I am so looking forward to getting to St. Martin next week and being able to buy really good bread! My bread making skills are not quite up to Jedi's, but I'm working on it.
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 20:11   #119
Registered User
 
Blue Crab's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hurricane Highway
Boat: Cal 29
Posts: 3,882
pirate Re: Mayo

Bread will stunt yer growth. Ask Nick.
__________________
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 20:14   #120
Registered User
 
SmartMove's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cruising the Eastern Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 473
Posts: 779
Images: 1
Maybe, I stopped growing several years ago at 5'-7". I think I am happy about that though, lol.
__________________

__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Food to Buy Without Refrigeration? omgitsgela Provisioning: Food & Drink 246 11-02-2014 10:30
Keeping mayonnaise with no refrig. over40pirate Provisioning: Food & Drink 126 08-12-2012 22:40



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.