Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 11:43   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: MAYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Try replacing it with avocado, nice and creamy, tastes a heck of a lot better :-) so what if your egg salad is green, it's delish.
Erika

I love avocado, but it's not a replacement for mayonnaise, and they don't keep well.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:45   #17
cruiser

Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Raku,

If the eggs are fresh, and have never been refrigerated, we were able to still use them in pancakes and other baking at the age of 3 months without refrigeration! I was astonished. This was on our first trip from Mexico to French Polynesia. Refrigerated eggs DO NOT last so long.

To the OP, I agree with everybody else, if you don't use mayo, don't provision with it. Whoever visits you will cope without it.

Ann

That's interesting about the refigeation. The eggs we had go so stinky were out of a refrigerator a grocery store.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:47   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
That's interesting about the refigeation. The eggs we had go so stinky were out of a refrigerator a grocery store.
Grocery store eggs are washed, the waxy coating from the hen is removed and air attacks the egg.

Fresh from the chicken, unrefrigerated and unwashed we've gotten up to a month out of eggs before.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:49   #19
cruiser

Re: MAYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I don't get your egg problem. They will last at least a month and, if you can buy them fresh from a farmers market, even longer. All you need for storage is a dry locker and the plastic or foam cartons. Cardboard cartons are no good because they will fall apart if they get wet.

To store them even longer dip each egg in boiling water for 10 seconds then remove and cool.

As for the mayo, well it's just great stuff. It works so much better than butter in the tropics because it does not need refrigeration until you open it. On today's sandwich I used mayo with a use by of December 2012. I only opened the jar last week and it's fine. You should buy the quality brands such as Best Foods and Hellmans both of which are low in sugar and chemicals.

So ofer, grab some good mayo and give it a try. As a totally different substitute try light olive oil. Heat doesn't bother it and it moistens up dry bread pretty nicely. I only say " light " because extra virgin will make everything you eat on the sandwich taste like olive oil.

Popeye had that problem I'm told.

Don't care for olive oil of any kind on a sandwich. I have no idea why the eggs went bad. Maybe it was only one but if so it went well beyond "bad" to "extremely nasty." I don't know why.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:51   #20

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

As to eggs-coat them with Vaseline, keeps the air out, and they last up to a month at room temp.

As to Mayo-store-bought mayo, even Hellman's/Best (the only "real" mayo!), will last unrefrigerated. It is not made with raw eggs as has been asserted, all commercial mayo is made with pasteurized egg yolks.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:53   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Raku,
Sometimes grocers knowingly "salt" some of their dozen boxes with eggs that are past their use by date, certain that people will be too far away to complain, and thus use up all their eggs. We encountered a store that routinely did it, learned it was routine by talking with other folks who had had the same problem, and eventually, the higher management caused the practice to be discontinued, following complaint from someone else in the grocery business. If the supplier of your stinky eggs (YUCK!) has ever sold you another bad dozen, you'd be justified in raising a loud stink. If we just sit back and take it, they don't ever know anybody objects.

Ann
Old 09-07-2013, 12:05   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
As to eggs-coat them with Vaseline, keeps the air out, and they last up to a month at room temp.
I have read this before. But once you start rubbing Vaseline on your eggs ................ where does it end?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:07   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
I have read this before. But once you start rubbing Vaseline on your eggs ................ where does it end?

I wonder if you could rub mayo on them?

(ducking and running!)
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23   #24

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I thought we signed some agreement when we joined this forum that we wouldn't talk about sensitive issues like Mayo vs Miracle Whip. Where the hell is a moderator when you need one? Sheesh. Surely you all use Dukes, right? I mean except the OP.

Moderators, if you could please delete the posts that contain any reference to miracle whip or Hellman's. Or that mayo is unnecessary.

How do you people et your french fries?

My grandmother made it fresh. I like to as well, and have several hundred layers on pasture with bright, orange yolks and great keeping quality.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:26   #25

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I wonder if you could rub mayo on them?

(ducking and running!)
I've heard that's how the lairs do it . . . . .
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:36   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I've heard that's how the lairs do it . . . . .

doesn't sound possible, that would made the lairs a non-idiot

to the OP, if you get rid of the mayo on your boat ..................... what use are the rubber sheets going to be?
Old 09-07-2013, 12:45   #27

Oh that's easy. They protect the teak during cockpit jelly wrestling-a popular lair pastime.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:58   #28

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I found this thread boring until now
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 13:19   #29

Well it does explain why those lairs are so much fun at parties

Click image for larger version

Name:	4588653781.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	63827

Old 09-07-2013, 13:26   #30

Boat: Valiant 40

Store bought may will last a looooong time unrefrigerated, particularly if you use the squeeze bottles and keep the spout uncontaminated. That said I have space in my fridge for a small bottle of it and that's where it lives.

This really is a strange thread: a person who does not like mayonnaise asking if they should keep it on their boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote