Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-07-2013, 21:16   #256

Boat: Moccasins and pony
Re: Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You must have spent time in Holland which is AFAIK the only country that serves mayo with fries. Others are still without a clue, using vinegar and other disgusting things
Ja. Ich foken leifde mayo

The flemish prolly do the mayo thing but haven't spent much time there. The french and their aioli. Great french place in my town does an all you can eat mussels night, with awesome fries with herbs and salt sprinkled on 'em and aioli..... and some wine. Dang. Snack attack............

I Grind, I'll def keep my eye out for Kewpie...very intrigued, but doubt it's Duke's

dak....

Old 21-07-2013, 21:54   #257

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You must have spent time in Holland which is AFAIK the only country that serves mayo with fries. Others are still without a clue, using vinegar and other disgusting things
The Dutch don't serve Mayo with their fries. They serve "Frietsaus", a substance that is somewhat, but not entirely unlike mayonnaise.
But they call it Mayonnaise anyway. Strange people the Dutch. You ask for butter in a hotel or restaurant, you get margarine (often Becel, which I absolutely loathe). You have to ask for "real butter" if you want the real thing.

For it's southern neighbours (the Flemings, basically Dutch brainwashed in to believing they are not) the Dutch have a culinary reputation that is only underbid by the British (in both cases increasingly undeserved).

The southern Dutch (a.k.a Belgians) however do serve mayonnaise with fries. We also double fry the fries, which is why ours are superior to everyone else's. A typical roadside fries stand ("frituur") will have a menu of sauces to accompany your fries, often running in the tens or twenties. Mayonnaise is the most common. "Frietsaus" is increasingly offered to, to placate those Dutch tourists who can't stomach real food.

McDonalds in the Netherlands will give you Frietsaus or Ketchup with your fries, and you pay extra. In Belgium it's Mayonnaise or Ketchup, and it's complementary. In Antwerp I saw McDo serve both Frietsaus and Mayonnaise. Again Dutch tourists are to blame.

(Disclosure: I'm born and raised Flemish, and lived about a decade in Holland, before ending up in the Alps)
(Disclosure #2: And yes, I do have a bit of a cynical view of my birth country, which is not a nation, and which I consider the worst crime the British inflicted upon us. Belgians used to be Dutch, both culturally and geographically. Even the word Belgium and Belgian derive from words that until about 1830 commonly meant "Dutch". 183 years of trying to make a Belgian identity so far has failed to progress beyond making everyone agree that fries need to be served with Mayonnaise...)

Old 21-07-2013, 21:58   #258

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
I'll bet the squeeze bottle-no refrigeration thing is because they think it solves the contamination thing which is widely accepted as the undoing of mayo.
Mayo will not contain salmonella when it leaves the plant, as they all use pasteurised egg yolks (or more commonly powder). In Switzerland Mayonnaise is typically sold in tubes. There are several varieties to choose from.

Other sauces like Tartare, Horseradish, etc also come in tubes, as does tomato concentrate. All great stuff to keep on board.
Old 21-07-2013, 22:03   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Regarding another debate we've had regarding mayo, just returned from a visit to my doctor. I eat it several times a week, along with 2% milk and real butter. My good cholesterol is high; my bad cholesterol is low. I also don't monitor my salt and have a particular fondness for a touch of sea salt, and my bp was 114/71.
You basic health is mostly determined by:
- Your genes
- Your age
- Your sex
- Your stress level
- How active you are.

Your food choices affect this only marginally. This is why fad diets that just make your life more complicated are basically useless health wise. Fad diets are especially complicated if you travel to countries with different food cultures and standards. So when cruising indeed stop worrying about your food. You've already more than made up for the mayonnaise through other, healthy life style choices...

The only thing I would advice everyone though is to stick to the tried and true principle that adults don't drink soft drinks.
Old 22-07-2013, 00:19   #260

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

You basic health is mostly determined by:
- Your genes
- Your age
- Your sex
- Your stress level
- How active you are.

Your food choices affect this only marginally. This is why fad diets that just make your life more complicated are basically useless health wise. Fad diets are especially complicated if you travel to countries with different food cultures and standards. So when cruising indeed stop worrying about your food. You've already more than made up for the mayonnaise through other, healthy life style choices...

The only thing I would advice everyone though is to stick to the tried and true principle that adults don't drink soft drinks.

Anyone else here like Ben Goldacre?

http://www.badscience.net/category/weight-loss/
Old 22-07-2013, 01:51   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post

Anyone else here like Ben Goldacre?

weight loss – Bad Science
Yep. He's on my reading list.
Old 22-07-2013, 06:54   #262
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Baconaise: The Ultimate Bacon Flavoured Spread. (a bacon-flavoured mayonnaise)

"Baconnaise, for people who want to get heart disease but, you know, too lazy to actually make bacon." - Jon Stewart

J & D's - Everything Should Taste Like Bacon: Products

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 08:14   #263
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The franch claim that belgians invented french fries, but it took the french to make them taste right !

skinny fries with alioi , yum

Dave
Old 22-07-2013, 08:34   #264

I'm thinking a couple of squeeze bottles of Mayo should be in the boat ditch bag. A tablespoon or more a day sounds like it would enhance survival. A little protein from the eggs and some fat from the oil. Plus might make any fish caught a little bit more tasty too. Just sayin'
Old 22-07-2013, 10:11   #265
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

They call them Pom Frites, not french fries.
Old 22-07-2013, 10:29   #266

Boat: sportscraft,30-power

ok, a real mayo question.

I tried making homemade mayo using the normal ingredients. But instead of using a real egg I used powdered eggs. Very tasty but too liquidly. I am assuming itís because of not using a fresh egg yolk.

Is there a way to thicken it a bit?
BTW this is my first attempt at home made Mayo.
Old 22-07-2013, 11:06   #267
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
They call them Pom Frites, not french fries.
Yes but you Anglos wouldn't get that

Dave
Old 22-07-2013, 12:53   #268
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You could try dissolving some corn starch in cool water then adding it to the heated mixture.
Old 22-07-2013, 12:54   #269
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry no Anglo here. Native son.
Old 22-07-2013, 15:26   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Yes but you Anglos wouldn't get that

Dave
Just out of curiosity, which superior ethnic background is it that you are so proud to call your own that it makes you feel justified in uttering a statement of this nature?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: