Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2014, 18:36   #1

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Margaritas

Hi all,
I have been working on my Margarita recipe lately and have found that this works best for me. 1 1/2 shots tequila, 1 shot triple sec, 3/4 shots lime juice. Pour over ice and things go nicely from there.

However, I found myself out of triple sec a couple of days ago, and found that Galliano substitutes quite nicely. So now I have changed my recipe for as long as the Galliano holds out to: 1 1/2 shots tequila, 3/4 shot triple sec, 1/4 shot Galliano, 3/4 shots of lime juice, poured over ice.

I found recently while in La Paz, that some of the fresh limes were simply not giving good juice. One of our batches tasted like aftershave, I'm not kidding. So next time down, I am bringing a large bottle of lime juice.

Please feel free to add to this thread with your own Margarita recipes. I am not too old to learn new tricks after all.

BTW, my countertop icemaker is one of the best things I have brought onboard.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 19:05   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Margaritas

With salt please.
Old 18-06-2014, 20:33   #3

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I've given up on Margaritas. Now I just drink tequila with Rose's lime juice on the rocks.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 20:50   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

The following is the recipe I learned in Mexico:

Cut two small Mexican limes in half. Rub the rim of a glass with a piece of lime, then invert the glass in a saucer of salt to "frost" the rim. Squeeze the limes over the ice cubes. Put a handful of ice cubes in the glass. Pour one part tequila, one part orange flavored licquer, and one part simple bar syrup. Stir, hold it to your lips and breathe in the essence of the lime juice that emanates from the glass. Reflect on how good life is. Repeat as needed.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 20:57   #5

3, 2, 1 Margaritas

Normal:
3 shots of tequila
2 shots of lime juice
1 shot of triple sec

Fancy:
3 shots of 100% agave tequila
2 shots of fresh squeezed lime juice
1 shot of grand Marnier
+ healthy splash of orange juice

Shake concoction in shaker with ice. Pour into a salt rimmed glass. Enjoy.

Old 18-06-2014, 21:04   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Hi all,
I have been working on my Margarita recipe lately and have found that this works best for me. 1 1/2 shots tequila, 1 shot triple sec, 3/4 shots lime juice. Pour over ice and things go nicely from there.

However, I found myself out of triple sec a couple of days ago, and found that Galliano substitutes quite nicely. So now I have changed my recipe for as long as the Galliano holds out to: 1 1/2 shots tequila, 3/4 shot triple sec, 1/4 shot Galliano, 3/4 shots of lime juice, poured over ice.

I found recently while in La Paz, that some of the fresh limes were simply not giving good juice. One of our batches tasted like aftershave, I'm not kidding. So next time down, I am bringing a large bottle of lime juice.

Please feel free to add to this thread with your own Margarita recipes. I am not too old to learn new tricks after all.

BTW, my countertop icemaker is one of the best things I have brought onboard.

Cheers, Bill
got a link to where to buy a countertop icemaker?

mine is 1,2,3 recipe

1shot triple sec
2shots tquila
3 shots lime juice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 22:15   #7

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Great replies everybody, thank you. I will try them all. I believe I bought the ice maker online from Amazon after reading a bunch of reviews here on C F. Search ice makers and you will get the same threads.
Mine runs off my inverter, it delivers ice in about 20 minutes. So I run it every day at anchor and always have ice for my sundowners. After all, we are not camping. Lol
Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 00:39   #8

I experimented a lot with my Margarita recipe, and I think I have perfected this one. I call them "Gran Margaritas", they're a big hit at all of the parties.

Ingredients:
2 1.75L bottles of Jose Quervo Margarita mix
1 1.75L bottle of Cuervo Gold
1 bottle of Gran Marnier

Preparation:
Empty 1/3 from each of the JC mix bottles into a 3rd mix bottle, or a pitcher
pour 16 oz of Cuervo Gold into each bottle
add 2 shots of Gran Marnier to each bottle
add a couple of ounces of bottled water to each bottle
put the caps back on and shake them up. You now have 4.75L of ready to serve Gran Margaritas.

Serve on the rocks is best, but they can be blended if desired. They're a little strong, but very, very smooth and everyone who has tried them swears they are better than any "Cadillac" margarita they've had. If you really want to impress, use a better tasting tequila like Sauza, Hornitos or Patron for a real treat.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 00:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
Great replies everybody, thank you. I will try them all. I believe I bought the ice maker online from Amazon after reading a bunch of reviews here on C F. Search ice makers and you will get the same threads.
Mine runs off my inverter, it delivers ice in about 20 minutes. So I run it every day at anchor and always have ice for my sundowners. After all, we are not camping. Lol
Cheers, Bill
I also did a search for ice makers for my RV.

Funny story, I bought an ice maker years ago, but didn't want to run the genny or inverter that much, so I sold it to a friend at a big loss.

Another friend of mine recently bought a really nice trailer with 3 slideouts, kind of one upping my 40' trailer with no slideouts. He had bought an ice maker for it that produces something like 30 or 35 lbs per day. So I searched for an ice maker that produced 40 or 45 lbs per day. It was a little more expensive, but I found an open box one on Ebay for about the same price that he paid for his.

A few weeks later, we were camped together, and he and his GF came over to my rig for some drinks, and he immediately spotted my new ice maker. His GF says, "Oh, it looks exactly like ours!" My buddy has an eye for detail and he immediately noticed it was a few inches wider and taller. He asked me what capacity it was and I told him, 40-45 lbs per day. He then told his GF theirs was 30-35 lbs per day, so mine was slightly bigger.

Then I started laughing and admitted to him that I bought that one specifically to one up his ice maker, since he had bought a nicer trailer! We all got a big laugh out of that! LOL
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 02:41   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I forgot to mention

You can't make just one margarita - they need to be made in a pitcher - one is simply not enough

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 19-06-2014, 02:58   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

I'm a 2:1:1 lassie : (2 tequila, one each of Cointreau and fresh lime juice)

One of the 'classic' recipes is 7 tequila: 4 Cointreau/TS : 3 lime
I prefer lime to Cointreau, so tweak the classic a bit. Target9000's mix sounds even better. If I want something a little less alcoholic I will try Carsten's one next time (it has more lime again).

On board I use a glass as a measure, tip it into a glass jar with a couple of ice cubes and shake well. Serve simply poured on fresh ice.

Photo was taken when we having drinks to celebrate a friend's birthday nearly a year ago (if you are reading this, Happy Birthday soon ).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	83411  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 03:01   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I'm a 2:1:1 lassie : (2 tequila, one each of Cointreau and fresh lime juice)
. If I want something a little less alcoholic I will try Carsten's one next time (it has more lime again).

).
Lassie - the reason mine is weaker is then I can drink more of them

Old 19-06-2014, 05:36   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Lassie - the reason mine is weaker is then I can drink more of them
Yes, that is why it does appeal as well .
I have no limes on board, but will make up a batch with lemon tonight for sunset drinks. My very conservative Pimms and soda water with lemon will have to be rejected tonight .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 06:52   #14

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

WARNING! Thread Drift!!!!!!

While on the subject of margaritas, you can't drink margaritas without eating guacamole (strong salsa with lots of jalapenos can substitute in a pinch). Here is my recipe for serious guacamole for serious margarita drinkers:

Damn Good Guacamole

4-5 ripe avocados
Very finely chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
½ middle-sized onion chopped very fine
2 crushed garlic cloves
Some finely chopped tomatoes
Limejuice

Scoop out the avocados and mash until there are no large chunks. Mix in the onion, garlic, tomato, Jalapenos and some limejuice.

How many Jalapenos? How strong do you like your guacamole?

If you for some reason are unable to make guacamole and must make do with salsa, this will tide you over:

Homemade salsa

A couple of cans of chopped tomatoes
Finely chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
Chopped onions
Crushed garlic
Salt
Pepper
Cilantro
Chunks of avocado
a sprinkling of Limejuice

Mix everything well in a bowl. If you like your salsa strong (yum yum!!) add more jalapeno. About a teaspoon chopped cilantro should do it.

The only trouble with making the guacamole is that you always end up running out of margaritas before you've eaten all the guacamole, causing to mix more margaritas. Then you run out of guacamole and still have some margaritas left - so you make more guacamole and run out of margaritas and still have some guacamole and so on

Then you go to bed.

Old 19-06-2014, 07:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
3, 2, 1 Margaritas

Normal:
3 shots of tequila
2 shots of lime juice
1 shot of triple sec

Fancy:
3 shots of 100% agave tequila
2 shots of fresh squeezed lime juice
1 shot of grand Marnier
+ healthy splash of orange juice

Shake concoction in shaker with ice. Pour into a salt rimmed glass. Enjoy.

This is the way I make them as well, though I use Cointreau instead of Grand Marnier.

The orange juice is for sweetness, and you can also substitute in simple sugar (sugar and water) for that. If it's just me, I'll skip the sweetener altogether, but I find others are a lot more enthusiastic about them with some form of sweetener, because it's a lot more like what most people are used to.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote