Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 14:20   #31

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Re: Manual Food Processor or Blender?

Sorry it took so long. The hand crank, two speed blender, is a standard item at REI. The trick is to find an REI for those of you who live a long way from mountains and backpacking country .....
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 14:27   #32

Boat: Manta 44 PC Pangaea

Call your Tupper Ware sales person. They have a arm power chopper / food processor that my wife bought... Does a decent job and no no plug needed.

Happy cruising
Sailor-Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 14:40   #33

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Offshore with crew I chop the heck out of things and send the result up to the watch in a mortar and pestle. Keeps them busy and entertained. *grin*

Sailing near home with Janet I flip on the inverter and use an immersion blender as noted by others above. The immersion blender is much easier to clean than a food processor. My Kitchenaid even came with a mini-processor attachment that works pretty well.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:46   #34

"My wife loves her handheld 110 volt blender thingie, but recently got a VitaMix."

Wow! A Vita Mix. I bought one back in the eighties then even the container was stainless steel. Used it for 15 years until the blade assembly fell apart and the company no longer carried the parts. They would give a discount if I wanted to buy a newer model. But, it was still a couple of hundred dollars. It was a workhorse though. Use to grind flour in it too! You could probably open up a shoreside Margarita Bar if you wanted using it. Though it would be overkill for my on board needs. Like some others a chef's knife and a Braun immersion mixer (powered by a twenty five year old 250 watt inverter)
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: WHAT WORKS ON BOARD: Powerstar DC Converter
with a chopper container takes care of my food prep needs these days.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:44   #35

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I also use and recommend an immersion blender when you really want a smooth puree quiickly. I have a Cuisinart immersion blender, but it only gets used dockside with shore power. None of the small inverters I have on board can handle the surge amps when the blender motor starts.
When away from the dock I use either a food mill or ricer (Sailing Topics). These are slower and messier than the blender, but get the job done. Someone else recommended a Chinois, which is normally used to remove any food fragments that have not been liquified by the puree process. I use a fine sieve strainer for that purpose.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:51   #36

Re: Manual Food Processor or Blender ?

I would prefer to use personal blender, it is more convenient to use.
AshleDenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 19:49   #37

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I've always had but I am currently shopping for a new immersion blender, and have a NutriBullet. The NutriBullet is great for grinding and making Smoothies out of fresh vegetables it's also very small for a blender. The immersion blender is so easy to clean, you just stick it in a cup of water and turn it on and then all you have to do is wipe it with a soapy sponge or scrubby pad and rinse off. That's why it's usually my first choice, it also takes up less room to store if space is a consideration. Edit. Actually all you have to do is put soapy water in the NutriBullet and it basically cleans itself too. Just takes more water and a little bit more time cleaning. But there really is a difference in convenience. And one very important thing. You can use the immersion blender with very hot food you cannot put hot food in the NutriBullet.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 21:52   #38

If you're less interested in slicing and grating or whisking and kneading, but are keen on making soup or smoothies, then a blender may be the best choice for you.
AnnaLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, appliances