Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-11-2012, 10:34   #16

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Low-sodium diet

Good suggestions, thank you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH View Post
...I'm sure you're aware that reduced sodium canned goods don't fall into the category of low sodium.
Yes I am aware to look not only the sodium content but also the potassium, as some low-sodium are high-potassium. Thanks for the links.

Savoir - also thank you for the encouragement. However, with only one kidney, I need to be extra careful.

Old 23-11-2012, 13:34   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

When I explain how to home-can meat and fowl in my books and articles, one of the most common questions is, "You mean you don't need salt to preserve it.?" Salt has been a preservative since ancient times, but freezing and home canning have made it unnecessary. I can only meat because I can't buy and can anything else cheaper than I can buy it already canned. Underway without refrigeration, I might also can fish if it's more than can be eaten. That is also canned without salt. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of rinsing canned fruits and vegetables to remove salt or sugar because the long canning process has leeched many of the nutrients out of the solids and into the juices. Better to buy low- and no-salt products. They may cost a little more but you can incorporate the juices into recipes and capture the full nutritive value listed on the can.

Old 23-11-2012, 16:13   #18

Boat: Able 50

Another thing you can do is make your own foods from scratch. This just means copying the Italian mamas and making big pots of soup stock or passata. You can make a bazillion things with frozen chicken stock.

To put it another way - avoid processed foods, all of which contain salt. Products carrying weasel words such as autolysed and hydrolysed should be avoided for they are just jargon for MSG. All those flavored snack foods are out. The only one I eat is plain corn chips. I rarely buy anything labelled low sodium because there is no need to bother, plus they are usually expensive. The only low sodium food in my pantry today is Kikkoman soy which is great stuff.

Quit boiling anything in salted water, use a steamer. After a while the food with salt in it will be what tastes funny.
Old 26-11-2012, 18:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir;
Another thing you can do is make your own foods from scratch....
Savoir, I do that when I have access to fresh foods ....my post is how to stock up for long passages or time away from the sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
When I explain how to home-can meat and fowl in my books and articles...
Janet, no-salt canning is interesting and I would like to learn more, but I could not find a canning cookbook by you. Can you recommend one? Or could I simply not include the salt from any recipe?
Old 26-11-2012, 18:40   #20
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Beth also switched to have a very low sodium diet.

She switched to basically making everything from scratch and then pressure cooker canning/jarring them (we don't have a freezer).

It adds some difficulty, but both makes for better food and has saved us money because we eat out less.
Old 26-11-2012, 18:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Savoir, I do that when I have access to fresh foods ....my post is how to stock up for long passages or time away from the sources.

Janet, no-salt canning is interesting and I would like to learn more, but I could not find a canning cookbook by you. Can you recommend one? Or could I simply not include the salt from any recipe?
There is no need for salt with food canning so leave it out completely if you like. Some things might taste a little bland.

Salt IS necessary for making pickles or sauerkraut.
Old 26-11-2012, 19:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
...It adds some difficulty, but both makes for better food and has saved us money because we eat out less.
Good way to look at it - eating out for me is a dying proposition. BTW, I am starting "The Following Seas".
Old 26-11-2012, 19:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
...Salt IS necessary for making pickles or sauerkraut.
I really like sauerkraut, and I have found recipes that you can make it salt-free! I will definitely try it.
Old 26-11-2012, 20:16   #24

Salt free kraut is possible but you will have to keep it refrigerated. If you don't then fermentation will continue and you finish up with a jar full of smelly and potentially poisonous bacteria.

Try it with a jar of Clausens pickles. Leave it unrefrigerated for a few months and it will turn milky and start bubbling.
Old 27-11-2012, 11:54   #25

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I went low sodium too. There is no salt in my place now except for some sea salt I use to make up my electrolyte drink. I haven't cooked with salt now for at least a decade.

As for preserving foods, Canning is the way to go. The only disadvantage is the glass jars but packing them carefully will go a long way to keeping them intact. They are a lot thicker because they have to stand up to the pressure of cooking for upwards of an hour while store canned stuff is run through an industrial process not nearly as straining.

For what its worth, I have stew canned in November of 2008, and have eaten it recently, still just as good. Pickled pumpkin and such from 2008, also good.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 19:20   #26

Looks like canning is the way to go. There are several books on the subject, can yous recommend one?

I will assume as previously posted that I can omit or substantially reduce the salt from any canning recipe, right?

Thank you all.
Old 27-11-2012, 20:08   #27

Boat: 1979 Union 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
* Be choosy about the watermaker you install. Some, like this crummy Little Wonder, make barely legal water (500 ppm TDS). That is too much salt for anyone with such health issues. Others, like my beloved Spectra on the other boat, make nice healthy water (50-70 ppm TDS).
Can you refer to where you are getting these salt rejection numbers?

The Little Wonder uses the DOW FILMTEC SW30-30-2521 membrane.

DOW FILMTEC SW30-2521

I see the same salt rejection numbers for the Aqua Pro Sea Water RO Membranes that are listed on The Village Marine website.

http://www.villagemarine.com/images/TM-(LWM)_2012.pdf
Old 27-11-2012, 22:02   #28

Quote:
Looks like canning is the way to go. There are several books on the subject, can yous recommend one?

I will assume as previously posted that I can omit or substantially reduce the salt from any canning recipe, right?

Thank you all.
With canning it is the heat that kills the bugs so no need for salt. I suggest you try 1/4 of the salt that the recipe calls for. Zero salt is a bit too dramatic and often gives flavorless food.
Old 28-11-2012, 10:46   #29
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Quote:
The USDA put out an excellent series of books on canning. These are really the 'bibles'.

USDA guides to pressure cooker canning (all PDFs): Introduction, general principles, Fruit, Tomatoes, Vegetables, Meat, Fermented & pickled food, Jams & Jellies
Old 29-11-2012, 10:51   #30

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

have a look at this web page for a start:

Preservation | Food Safety and Health We share the relevant.

There is a huge amount of valuable information. Another great source is this one.

Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving PDF.pdf download - 2shared

Between the two you will be off to a good start, the next thing is get the gear and then start practicing.

SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: