Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48   #136

Boat: Morgan, Ocean Racer, 45'
Re: Living Without a Fridge

As to design, we are planning to build the iceboxes, (which may get a fridge/freezer system into at least one of the portions), into the salon couches rather than the usual "black-hole" in the galley. The idea is that the couches are already insulated on top with 6 inches of foam cushions and the sides with at least two inches of foam padding. So we only need to insulate the part against the hull side (minimal) and the bottom, which sets over water tanks and/or foam-filled sections of the bilge. The salon couch seats are sectional and are, of course, the lids. The boxes are fairly wide and not more than 14 inches deep so access is convenient.

On the down-side, you might have to ask someone to get up when you need something, and it is a step or two from the galley.

But that's our plan -- what do you guys think?
kefroeschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58   #137
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

[QUOTE=tgzzzz;903310]Originally Posted by s/v Jedi
"So let me reword it: those without fridges tend to be single, hang at the bar until it closes and then eat cold beans from cans."

ciao!
Nick.

WRONG!!!!!! in all the ways that can be wrong...isnt that way..sounds like a bigotted remark to me.

is also not called camping out.

i havent had fridge since 1990, when i moved out of a land based apartment. i wont have one until I decide to get one. i am not camping out--i am LIVING!!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08   #138

Boat: Morgan, Ocean Racer, 45'

C'mon you guys ... this post is supposed to be about HOW TO live without a fridge.

NOT whether or not you should.

And ESPECIALLY NOT what kind of character you are if you think one way or the other.

If you want to discuss one another's character go to the Off Topic Forum.
kefroeschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09   #139
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefroeschner View Post
C'mon you guys ... this post is supposed to be about HOW TO live without a fridge.

And ESPECIALLY NOT what kind of character you are if you think one way or the other.

thankyou for this one.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:16   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
................And ESPECIALLY NOT what kind of character you are if you think one way or the other...............
For Sure! We've spent many years without refrigeration and many years with refrigeration. I don't believe that we have had any change in character or even in our joy of cruising.
Old 09-03-2012, 14:28   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
As to design, we are planning to build the iceboxes, (which may get a fridge/freezer system into at least one of the portions), into the salon couches rather than the usual "black-hole" in the galley. The idea is that the couches are already insulated on top with 6 inches of foam cushions and the sides with at least two inches of foam padding. So we only need to insulate the part against the hull side (minimal) and the bottom, which sets over water tanks and/or foam-filled sections of the bilge. The salon couch seats are sectional and are, of course, the lids. The boxes are fairly wide and not more than 14 inches deep so access is convenient.

On the down-side, you might have to ask someone to get up when you need something, and it is a step or two from the galley.

But that's our plan -- what do you guys think?

Sounds like a great idea, however - - -. As a PE mechanical engineer who has a lot of experience with insulated systems, you might consider;
The foam cushions might be OK as added insulation, they are no substitute for a fully encapsulated box insualted with closed cell foam and low moisture permiability. You will likely have condensation inside the cushions. The efficiency of seating cushions as an insulator is not good at all.

If you wish to utilize the locker space this way, you might be more likely to have success if you insulate the heck out of it and make a proper fridge box regardless of where it is.

On a side note, our firdge/freezer boxes sweat on top (the Formica counter tops) and periodically have mold colonies in the damp. If you involve your seat cushions you may find you have created a new home for black mold.

On another sode note, she who must be obeyed, wou7old not be so keen on an inconvenient location or poor access. To be blunt, hwo would you feel if she put your tools in the chain locker?

I have considered decommissioning our fridge spaces and replacing the pedistals below the galley table with an Engles.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03   #142
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

If your boat is about independence, consider how much time and money you're willing to spend for emergency repairs if your reefer, or the power source(s) for it, quit on you. Can't tell you how many cruising folks we have met whose schedule was determined by an urgent need for ice or a part or a re-charge or a refrigeration repairman. Depends on where you cruise because dry ice, block ice and repairs are easy to come by if you're coastal hopping.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:41   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
For Sure! We've spent many years without refrigeration and many years with refrigeration. I don't believe that we have had any change in character or even in our joy of cruising.

Once a rapscallion, always a rapscallion...
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:27   #144
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Once a rapscallion, always a rapscallion...
Jeez.... These boss men, they never listen to the peasants members...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45   #145

I have a fridge/freezer on Ceil and love it. As a child in the 50's we had a fridge but also kept a cool larder - we were taught which foods didn't need the refer and which did. FYI my fridge is completely solar/wind powered. I built the box from 2" foam and fiberglass/epoxy...
I have a couple UV LEDs inside the box that have eliminated any mold issues for the last 2 years - and this box sits unattended (and unopened) for months at a time since I don't live on the boat..

There were 'tricks' or 'rules' on how to dry store different things -
Here's a few - if you know one I haven't mentioned include it in a reply.
1. Keep apples with Potatos the gas put out by apples RETARDS potato sprouting but over-ripens other fruits. The dark needed by potatos also works to keep the apples crisp as well (fridge ruins apples very quickly).

2. You can keep asparagus, whole heads of lettuce fresh by 'planting' them in a shallow pan of damp sand. Rinse the sand out every week or so... but keep it damp. This works in or out of the fridge.

3. Bananas only in the open air. (ripe bananas are known for 'causing' sea-sickness in non-boaters as the smell is just right for triggering nausea..)

4. paraffin dipped or fresh eggs keep for weeks if kept cool (you can bury the eggs in the damp sand as well...) YOU MUST TURN EGGS DAILY!

5. Mayonnaise, mustard, relish, vinegar don't need the fridge. Mayo needs a CLEAN SPOON OR KNIFE with every use...

6. oils - keep for months if closed -

7. Avocado, pineapple, papaya, mango keep well - but you should buy them as hard as you can if you are off-shore so they ripen later... (we stage our produce if possible buying in different states so it all doesn't ripen on the same day.)
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:22   #146
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

trashed by a newbie............. you guys should really be ashamed by getting off track!
Old 10-03-2012, 13:53   #147

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I don't think it matters how long someone has been on the forum. I have a fridge at home, but I never use it. Seems that nothing I eat needs a fridge. I am largely raw vegan, this means fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, grains, beans, etc.

I don't even live on my boat!
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02   #148

Great info in this thread, it takes up alot of the slack from one closed about keeping suff, guess there was an opinion that something could possibility said in the future that would/could be a violation of the rules.....I can't read minds, so guess I'll study this thread as it seems to cover keeping food stuffs long term.

Seems that a custom built ice box is a great idea, built into the boat. I had one box that kept dry ice for almost 2 weeks, still had cold water, but the water should be removed away from the ice. I have emptied the cold water into jugs and kept them in the box to take up space.

And, tossing plastics overboard....if they are sunk in deep water,,,?

Alternative, I take the plastic back to shore, if there is not a recycling center it goes to the trash, the trash goes to a landfill and it gets burried. Maybe it not environmentally correct, but what's the difference burried on land or lying at the bottom of the sea? Bulk stuff, packaged so that critters can not be tangled in the trash....

I do hate to see boaters toss out trash, BTW...
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 14:45   #149

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Maybe it not environmentally correct, but what's the difference burried on land or lying at the bottom of the sea? Bulk stuff, packaged so that critters can not be tangled in the trash....

I do hate to see boaters toss out trash, BTW...
I can live with worms trying to eat plastic. Not so much with fish, sea turtles and dolphins trying the same thing.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 06:42   #150

Boat: Skookum 53'

Please do not sink you plastic trash, haul it ashore.

Tags
refrigerator