Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2013, 17:36   #1

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
Lite Cylinder "Emergency Safety Recall"

I have received this e-mail from the Lite Cylinder Company, which produces composite (fiberglass) propane tanks, of which I own two:

May 30, 2013

Attention: All Retailers, Distributors and Users of Composite Cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company,

Subject: Emergency Recall Order

The US Department of Transportation has issued an “Emergency Recall Order” for all LPG composite cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company as per the following Emergency Order No. 2013-002. The recall notice specifically identifies those cylinders manufactured under DOT-SP 14562 (and DOT-SP 13957 as authorized therein), DOT-SP 13105, any cylinder re-qualified under H706, and any cylinders manufactured under M5729.

Lite Cylinder Company has submitted a Petition for Review with DOT seeking to amend several portions of this Recall Order. It is unknown as to when or to what extent, if any, portions of this recall may be modified. Until such time, users of this product are directed to immediately cease use of the cylinders identified in the recall.

All cylinder sizes are involved in this recall: 10#, 20#, 25# and 33#

Please note that the directive states “Under no circumstances should a cylinder described in this emergency recall order be filled, refilled, or used for the transportation of hazardous materials.” The cylinder’s identifying markings may be found on the label affixed to the dome of the cylinder.

To effectively comply with this recall, cylinder owners must:

1. Take proper safeguards in identifying and handling the affected cylinders identified in this order.

2. Cease use of all specified cylinders until notified of DOT response to Petition for Review.

3. Arrange to have all propane gas removed from cylinder. This should only be done by qualified persons, trained in handling cylinders in accordance with Federal regulations. (Note: All propane dispensing agents should meet this criteria.) This person must discharge all gas, purge, and remove the valve per the recall.

4. Return the empty, purged, valve-less cylinders, to the manufacturer, freight prepaid, at:

The Lite Cylinder Company
139 Southeast Parkway Court
Franklin, TN 37064

Please note that Lite has petitioned to amend Recall Order to allow specified cylinders to be field destroyed. We will promptly advise if Order is so amended.

While Lite is in sharp disagreement with the extraordinary and overwhelming harshness of this action, we will make every reasonable effort to comply. We clearly recognize there are associated financial implications as well as considerable inconvenience to our loyal and valued customers. Our team is currently trying to assess solutions to address these concerns and will communicate a response at the earliest possible date.

A copy of the Recall Order (3 pages) is attached for your reference:

MAY Z.4 2013
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration

Order No. 20 1 3-002
Franklin, TN

37064 Docket # PHMSA-2013-0123

EMERGENCY RECALL ORDER

This notice constitutes an Emergency Recall Order by the United States Department of
Transportation (DOT) pursuant to 49 U.S.C. § 5121(d) and 49 CFR § 109.17(c); and pursuant to delegation of authority to the Associate Administrator, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA), Office of Hazardous Materials Safety. By this Order, PI-IMSA is mandating a recall of all cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company, Inc. (Lite
Cylinder) and marked as authorized under DOT-SP 14562 (and DOT-SP-13957 as authorized therein), DOT-SP 13105; any cylinder requalified under H706; and any cylinders manufactured
under M5729 (hereinafter referred to as affected packaging(s)). In addition, this order applies to any person who is in possession of an affected packaging subject to this order.
PHMSA finds that the affected packagings constitute or are causing an imminent hazard to public safety. For more detailed information see "Background/Basis for Order" below.

THIS ORDER APPLIES TO:
I) Lite Cylinder, its officers, directors, employees, subcontractors, investors and agents
("Lite Cylinder"); and
2) Any person who is in possession of an affected packaging, including any officers,
directors, employees, subcontractors, investors, and agents of said person (for
purposes of this Order, "Cylinder Owners").

Under no circumstances should a cylinder described in this emergency recall order be filled, refilled, or used for the transportation of hazardous materials.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY. LITE CYLINDER MUST:
1) Contact all Cylinder Owners to whom affected packagings have been sold and inform
them of the Emergency Recall Order and provide them the proper and necessary
instruction and information for the safe handling and discharge of hazardous material and for the return shipment of cylinders no later than five business days of this Order. The information must include instruction that directs Cylinder Owners to use only qualified persons, trained in handling cylinders in accordance with Federal
regulations, and to safely discharge, purge, and remove the valve from, the cylinder.
2) Confirm that the returned cylinders are purged and emptied.
3) Ensure that the purged and empty cylinders are returned to the manufacturer at the
following address:
Franklin, TN 37064.
4) Provide by email the serial number of each returned cylinder to PHMSA at
(referencing"Lite Cylinder" in the subject line) by the close of business daily. Please note any problems that may have been witnessed with the cylinder (e.g. leakage, damage, etc.).
5) Permanently obliterate the special permit specification markings and render them incapable of holding pressure within five business days of possession, including those in inventory.

PHMSA URGENTLY ADVISES CYLINDER OWNERS TO:
1) Take proper safeguards in identifying and handling the affected packagings
identified in this Order,
2) Use the instruction and information provided by Lite Cylinder for the safe
handling and discharge of hazardous material and for the return shipment of cylinders. This information will guide Cylinder Owners to use only qualified persons, trained in handling cylinders in accordance with Federal regulations, and to safely discharge, purge, and remove the valve from, the cylinder.
3) Return the purged and empty cylinders to the manufacturer at the following
address:
Franklin, TN 37064.

This Order is effective immediately and remains in effect unless withdrawn in writing by the Associate Administrator or his designee, or until it otherwise expires by operation of law.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 09:09   #2

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Lite Cylinder "Emergency Safety Recall"

Wow. Even though I have yet to go to this type of cylinder, I was certainly considering it.

Thanks for the public service.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 16:25   #3

Boat: PT-11

"The emergency order is based on an investigation of Lite Cylinder's operations and production history that revealed probable violations and unsafe conditions and practices that PHMSA determined present an imminent hazard to the public safety."

Pretty vague. They must have donated to Romney...
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 18:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Don't panic yet, not all fiberglass propane tanks are made by Lite Cylinder. The one I use for my Lehr outboard is made by Ragasco. They are sold by Trident Marine, the hose company.
These are Ragasco tanks:
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Fair enough...I own an Atomic 4 and so am not prone to panic. I would like to learn, however, if there are manufacturing defects specific to this make of cylinder, or intrinsic problems that have become clearer now that they've been on the market for a few years. They look ideal to take to shore, and where we wish to go, we have to fill multiple tanks when we have the opportunity, so the investment in lighter tanks that don't corrode is worth it.

Without going "boom", I mean.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:41   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44
My 1979 aluminum tanks just passed the mandated inspection . What's the upside of next gen tanks?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:52   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
My 1979 aluminum tanks just passed the mandated inspection . What's the upside of next gen tanks?
So you mean they passed inspection, or they are passed the date of inspection?

If they passed inspection, use them. If they are pass the date of inspection, get them inspected - our inspection cost $50 and included a new valve and fill up.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04   #8

Boat: PETERSON 44
They passed inspection. Valves did not need replacing. No up charge. Tanks were well maintained clean horizontal tanks not vertical which makes some difference in how they vent.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:48   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Does anybody know the specific reasons for this recall?
I've been using two Lite Cylinder tanks for about a year and a half and been quite happy with them.
Old 01-06-2013, 15:24   #10

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

I've been using mine for five years without issue... wondering what the problem is? And yes, I've got DOT SP 14562 - 294 so I guess mine's one that worked perfectly this morning and now??? Argh!
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:30   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ok so why is this happening--someone blow up or burn badly or something\????
if so, we should have heard about this--if it is merely because of records showing some foolery and the bureaucrats are messing with the company at folks's expense, that is another thing.
remember-- big government is not always trustworthy
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 15:49   #12

Boat: Sailboat

The full recall order can be found at:
http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles...ompany_Inc.pdf

It's a scanned doc, so I couldn't easily copy and paste any text. Page 5 and 6 shows failure modes.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 16:21   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
The full recall order can be found at:
http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/staticfiles...ompany_Inc.pdf

It's a scanned doc, so I couldn't easily copy and paste any text. Page 5 and 6 shows failure modes.
Thanks for that.

And the specific things done wrong by the company go all the way to page 11.

Here is a case of Big Brother actually looking out for the little guy being sold something unsafe. To the tune of 4% to 11% failure rate. And the 33 lb tank up to 36%!!

Naughty, naughty.

(P.S. - I had the 20 pounders on my Gemini and loved them )
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2013, 18:36   #14

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

The fiberglass tanks cost less than AL tanks and don't corrode, so why buy AL if you're looking for new tanks.

Both of mine spent a WEEK under saltwater during a storm, and both are still in regular use appearing no worse for the wear. I believe they are about 3 years old?

I tried to click on the PHMSA link but got "This service is unavailable". I'll try it again later.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:25   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

so how do these allegedly bad tanks fail----we wanna know....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety