Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 09:51   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Limes For Cruisers!!!

little key limes aka limones are found everywhere there is fish, aka pescado. pescadores use mucho limones as do mexican cooks. mexican bar tenders keep many on hand for the inevitable margarita drinker, and for those tequila shot masters who one two three floor their evenings. and beers and mojitos and.. the lower priced bars use lime juice and margarita mix. i prefer the ones using the limones frescas. they use limones in everything, so many are available. i have only seen a few "normal" sized limes, and rarely seen yellow lemons.
i know it is not the national fruit of mexico, but it is a close one in top 5.
mega/comercial, soriana. ley del mar, alll the tiendas and markets and mercados and wherever you can buy fruit and veggies in mexico have limones. it is a perishable staple in the household.
oooohh aguachiles de camaron--- lots of limon and chile and fresh shrimpies cucumber and onion and some cilantro.
ceviche....limon, onion, tomato, cilantro and chiles..i prefer serrano. oh yeah put in whatever sea life you wish, diced or minced or shredded or ground
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 13:26   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The ones in this area, such as mine, are Citrus limettiodes . I just don't know the common (local) name.
Old 21-09-2016, 13:39   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
little key limes aka limones are found everywhere there is fish, aka pescado. pescadores use mucho limones as do mexican cooks. mexican bar tenders keep many on hand for the inevitable margarita drinker, and for those tequila shot masters who one two three floor their evenings. and beers and mojitos and.. the lower priced bars use lime juice and margarita mix. i prefer the ones using the limones frescas. they use limones in everything, so many are available. i have only seen a few "normal" sized limes, and rarely seen yellow lemons.
i know it is not the national fruit of mexico, but it is a close one in top 5.
mega/comercial, soriana. ley del mar, alll the tiendas and markets and mercados and wherever you can buy fruit and veggies in mexico have limones. it is a perishable staple in the household.
oooohh aguachiles de camaron--- lots of limon and chile and fresh shrimpies cucumber and onion and some cilantro.
ceviche....limon, onion, tomato, cilantro and chiles..i prefer serrano. oh yeah put in whatever sea life you wish, diced or minced or shredded or ground
Dammit, Zee, you have ruined my day... all I can think about is ceviche and all the other wonderful dishes we enjoyed i n Mexico, and which are so bloody expensive and difficult to reproduce here in Oz!

Grrr...

Jim
Old 21-09-2016, 14:16   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Limes For Cruisers!

Some of the best ceviche Jim made was from squid. We bought a large squid mantle, it barely fit in the skillet. The fish seller had told us to boil it no more than one minute, before peeling it, and then use it to make the ceviche.

Aahhh! the things you can do when limones nacionales are available!

Hey, DeLancey, thanks for starting a thread with such pleasant associations.

Ann
Old 21-09-2016, 16:47   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

They can be expensive even where they grow. We collected them in the scrub in Spain BUT they would cost upwards of 3 USD on the next corner.

They are very common in the Med and can be had from most supermarkets in the EU.

They were SUPER dear in NZ and AUS.

We did not find any in the Pacific. They are not too common in the West Indies either.

I LOVE LIMES. In my rum, in my curd and in my jam too!!!

I LOVE LIMES. Their taste, their smell and their colour.

Gods created women, boats and limes. Then they took a day off.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 17:02   #21

Boat: Seafarer36c

Some limes seem to last and have juice till they are almost brown. Others die right away. Is there a good way to tell what you are buying and what is the best way to store limes? I don't get a week out in the open.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 18:02   #22

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Some limes seem to last and have juice till they are almost brown. Others die right away. Is there a good way to tell what you are buying and what is the best way to store limes? I don't get a week out in the open.
The biggest killer of limes is simply drying out! I believe the cure for citrus preservation is to wrap in foil.

"Jam" makes me think of marmalade . Lime and citron with a hint of cardamom. Yummm!
Old 21-09-2016, 18:09   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

We found limes last very well.

An odd one may rot but we had zero issues carrying enough on every passage.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 19:16   #24

[QUOTE=Sea Dreaming;2218421]TI believe the cure for citrus preservation is to wrap in foil.

We must use at least 2 Limons every day. Sometimes I fill my triple layer thermos jug with ice, 4 limes and something made from sugar. That is a lot of limes to unwrap and wrap.

Y'all should know that a lime is a lime in english. There is no such thing as a Limon.
Old 21-09-2016, 19:31   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

[QUOTE=Guy;2218449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
TI believe the cure for citrus preservation is to wrap in foil.

We must use at least 2 Limons every day. Sometimes I fill my triple layer thermos jug with ice, 4 limes and something made from sugar. That is a lot of limes to unwrap and wrap.

Y'all should know that a lime is a lime in english. There is no such thing as a Limon.
Who said "when speaking of limes one must use English."?
Old 21-09-2016, 19:45   #26

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Agree that they can be pricey or just not available everywhere. Cheapest we saw was in Ecuador - 40 of the better quality for US$1 or 60 of the second quality. They lasted very well indeed. Ecuador is a great spot in general for fruits and vegetable since you can get everything from tropical to strawberries. Different things are just grown at different elevations and brought to market.
Old 21-09-2016, 19:56   #27

[QUOTE=Sea Dreaming;2218458]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post

Who said "when speaking of limes one must use English."?
Oh, were they speaking in spanish? There is no such thing as a limon in english, Limon is a spanish word. Lime is the english word.
Old 21-09-2016, 20:01   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Rum goes very well with coconut water. Cut the top off a green coconut and pour a shot in.
You put da lime in de coconut and drink it all up.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 20:38   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You're right, it is a pain to wrap each lime individually, especially when you've bought 5 kilos. However, it is a pleasure to have them when you want, and easy to do.

The best way to deal with them is to first remove any little stem bit that's left on them, then a light soak in mild bleach solution, followed by air drying them, before wrapping them.

If you're in Mexico, you can use the elibac solution.
Old 21-09-2016, 20:45   #30

Old trick with limes, store them in water. Last you at least two weeks, up to a month if the peel is thick.