Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 01:55   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Let Us Eat Cake

3rd December 2013

Having been suitably chastised for corrupting the vegan thread with non-vegan cake recipes (chocolate and cake are two of my many weaknesses), I am moving the culprits over to here.

Feel free to diverge to cookies and slices and any other sweet treats that may be suitable for making on board .

It all started when Beverley tempted me with the mention of her favourite lemon drizzle cake, so this recipe kick starts this thread.

RECIPE INDEX (# refers to the post)

Almond bread #48
Almond clusters #109
Apple cake #85
Apple tart #19
Avocado icecream #51 and 56
Baklava #66
Banana cream with Grand Marnier #20
Beetroot chocolate cake #13
Blueberry almond muffins #49
Blueberry tart #75
Carrot ginger cake #112
Cheese tart #25
Christmas rum balls #40
Choc honeycomb slice #105
Chocolate bowls #90 (brilliant idea using balloons)
Chocolate lasagne cake #14 & 16
Coconut cake #107
Date & banana cake #73
Dutch gingercake #165
Gingerbread cake #164
Golden Nugget Bread Pudding #156
Hummingbird style cake #104
Lavender cup cakes #110
Lemon drizzle cake #2
Lemon drizzle cake (low fat) #5
Lime and ginger cheesecake #138
Marzipan #127
Marzipan berry dessert #41
Marzipan pear and almond cake #126
Orange cake #114
Paska (Easter bread) #161 & 163
Pavlova #58
Pear and walnut cake with crunchy walnut topping #121
Prune tart #83
Quinoa chocolate muffins/cake #39
Quinoa strawberry banana muffins #36
Rum & raisin cake #89
Shortbread #160
Spanish flan #103
Tiramisu #26
Yorkshire pudding #92, 96, 97, 99
Zucchini chocolate cake #8

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 04:00   #2

Lemon Drizzle Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Well, the terms 'naughty' and 'SWL' go hand in hand,
Surely not!

Quote:
Given I have eggs on board at the moment (and I have survived discussions about eating bats), I would love the recipe .
OK, here is my super-secret recipe for Lemon Drizzle Cake.

250g butter
200g caster sugar
200g self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 large or 3 medium eggs
2 medium lemons
Some table sugar

Grate the two lemons to get the zest, taking all the yellow down to the white pulp. Set aside.

Squeeze the lemons and keep the juice in a cup

Put the butter in a pot and melt it.

Put the caster sugar and bicarb in a mixing bowl and blend together. Add the melted butter and beat to a smooth paste. Add the eggs and beat smooth. Add the zest and beat smooth. Add the flour and beat smooth. If the mix is a little too thick then add 50ml of milk.

Pour the mix into a tin lined with baking paper and place in a hot oven at 150 C for 30 to 40 minutes. When it goes brown and the top becomes firm rather than wobbly and soft, open the oven door and turn the oven off.

After it has cooled for 5 minutes, set it aside until the top is merely warmish then take a skewer and punch vertical holes all over the cake. Take a basting brush and dip in the lemon and paint the top of cake and then sprinkle table sugar all over. Take a spoon and start drizzling the lemon juice aiming for the holes you made. Then sprinkle more table sugar. Repeat until all the lemon juice is used.

Leave to set for 15 or 20 minutes then pull it out of the cake tin using the baking paper. Put on a fancy plate and serve.
beverley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 04:10   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley View Post
OK, here is my super-secret recipe for Lemon Drizzle Cake.

250g butter
200g caster sugar
200g self raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 large or 3 medium eggs
2 medium lemons
Some table sugar
Butter?
You didn't say it was going to have butter in it .
I have no butter on board .
I will have to go and console myself with another piece (or two) of Brownie .

I may have a go at 'modifying' this recipe tomorrow.
Success or failure, I will report back

Old 28-10-2013, 04:18   #4

Quote:
Butter?
You didn't say it was going to have butter in it .
I have no butter on board .
You can make cakes without butter???

Quote:
I will have to go and console myself with another piece (or two) of Brownie .
Sorry! (I need a blushing icon)

Quote:
I may have a go at 'modifying' this recipe tomorrow. Success or failure, I will report back
Maybe an oil of some sort with a bit of salt added in? It will be interesting to see how it comes out because melted butter is oil (sort of)
Old 30-10-2013, 23:46   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverley View Post
You can make cakes without butter???
The answer is "Yes" . And very successfully.

I was keen to have a go at making a version of lemon drizzle cake that didn't contain over 130g of saturated fat and could be made on board with easy to store oil.

Success!!! This is intensely lemony, fluffy yet moist, it didn't flop and the whole cake contains only about 15g of saturated fat.

I have tasted a wonderful butter based drizzle cake that NornaBiron makes and the recipe is similar to yours and it is heavenly. I would rate this as 90% as good. The flavour is the same, but it with the low fat content it won't keep as well (never a problem here LOL).

Beverley, try it and report back. I think you may be converted . For a longer keeping, richer version, use 3/4 cup oil and no milk. I promise it won't taste of oil and it will keep well.

SWL's LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (approximately 3 lemons)

2 cups cake flour
1 slightly heaped tsp baking powder (or use SR flour, I haven't found it here)
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup sugar

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (high quality, low acidity)
2 eggs
200 g tub thick low fat Greek yoghurt
Rind of 1 lemon
Juice 1 lemon
Enough milk to make 1/2 cup liquid with the lemon juice included

- Mix 1/2 cups sugar & lemon juice to give it time to dissolve and set aside until the cake is cooked.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Whisk the next 6 ingredients (just 30 sec by hand, even a fork will do).
- Fold together very gently.
- Bake in an oiled round silicone tin 175°C 30-35 min (don't overcook as it will dry out).
- When baked, cool 10 min & prick with skewer.
- Drizzle lemon & sugar slowly and evenly over the warm cake while in pan.

No flopping with this one :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	69608  

Old 31-10-2013, 02:40   #6

Quote:
It looks like the eggs made the difference. I am pleased to see that my theory that butter could be replaced with oil has worked out. That is useful information and has been stored away in Bev's Big Recipe Book

Quote:
Success!!! This is intensely lemony, fluffy yet moist, it didn't flop and the whole cake contains only about 15g of saturated fat.
but it with the low fat content it won't keep as well (never a problem here LOL).
Nor here. They usually queue by the oven when they smell it cooking.

Quote:
Beverley, try it and report back. I think you may be converted . For a longer keeping, richer version, use 3/4 cup oil and no milk. I promise it won't taste of oil and it will keep well.
I will do. It will probably be the weekend sometime as I have too much on before then. I am so glad it worked out because it is my kids' favourite cake and I would have felt so disappointed if you could not experience that zesty lemony taste.

Be careful though.. it is very "more-ish" and just seems to evaporate off the plate leaving nothing but a temptation for another bite.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:25   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:

This is a little off topic, as this recipe contains eggs and yoghurt and milk, but I was keen to have a go at making a version of lemon drizzle cake that didn't contain over 130g of saturated fat and could be made on board with easy to store oil.

I have tasted a wonderful butter based drizzle cake that NornaBiron makes and the recipe is similar to yours and it is heavenly. I would rate this as 90% as good. The flavour is the same, but it with the low fat content it won't keep as well (never a problem here LOL).

SWL's LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice (approximately 3 lemons)

2 cups cake flour
1 slightly heaped tsp baking powder (or use SR flour, I haven't found it here)
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 cup sugar

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (high quality, low acidity)
2 eggs
200 g tub thick low fat Greek yoghurt
Rind of 1 lemon
Juice 1 lemon
Enough milk to make 1/2 cup liquid with the lemon juice included

- Mix 1/2 cups sugar & lemon juice to give it time to dissolve and set aside until the cake is cooked.
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Whisk the next 6 ingredients (just 30 sec by hand, even a fork will do).
- Fold together very gently.
- Bake in an oiled round silicone tin 175°C 30-35 min (don't overcook as it will dry out).
- When baked, cool 10 min & prick with skewer.
- Drizzle lemon & sugar slowly and evenly over the warm cake while in pan.

No flopping with this one :
Sounds good, but am I willing to change my tried and tested recipe? Maybe I'll give it a go with my homemade yoghurt!
Old 23-11-2013, 21:55   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Zucchini chocolate cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
chocolate cake recipes?/ I must have missed those
The first recipe came from ShaktiGurl and I am forever grateful for it. Apart from carrot I would never before have considered throwing vegetables in a cake.

ShaktiGurl's recipe is doing the rounds in Greece. I took a quarter of this cake to a farmer's wife when we were in a remote anchorage a few weeks ago. She had sold me some of her vegetables, including the zucchini I used to make the cake. To fill you in, there were about a dozen people living in tiny whitewashed houses in the bay. It was 22 km to town, mostly along a rough 4WD track, so I had no access to fresh stuff. She loved the cake and wanted the recipe, but she spoke little English and I speak even less Greek so I rummaged around in her kitchen pulling out teaspoons and cups to show her the quantities LOL. There was lots of pantomimes and drawing of pictures. I was rewarded with two handfuls of free range eggs. I do so love excursions like this .

I am just about to make one of these before heading down to start working on the hull for the day.

SHAKTIGURL'S ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CAKE (slightly modified version)
The cups I refer to are 250 ml sized.

1.25 cups packed, drained grated zucchini (3-4 medium; edited to add: I just made a cake and checked, it is about 4 very loose cups)

1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1 flat tsp baking soda

1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup low fat thick Greek yoghurt

50-100 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped

ORANGE ICING:
1 cup icing sugar
Rind 1 orange
Orange juice (just enough to form a very thick paste)

- Grate zucchini (I used parmesan shaver) and in small handfuls squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible (densely pack the cup measurement then)
- Leave zucchini between paper towel on a tray while preparing the rest
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and soda
- Whisk together the next 5 ingredients
- Stir in zucchini and choc to liquids
- Fold in dry ingredients very gently
- Pour in an oiled round or bundt silicone pan
- Bake at 180°C (original recipe had 160°, but my boat oven does not do low temps) for 35-40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan.
- Ice when cool.

Photo is without the icing (it is fantastic with it, but I try not to overdose on sugar)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	253
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	70978  

Old 23-11-2013, 23:02   #9

Quote:

I did not post them here, as they are not vegan. They are both so good though (best two chocolate cakes I have ever had) that a little thread drift could be excused.

The first recipe came from ShaktiGurl and I am forever grateful for it. Apart from carrot I would never before have considered throwing vegetables in a cake.

ShaktiGurl's recipe is doing the rounds in Greece. I took a quarter of this cake to a farmer's wife when we were in a remote anchorage a few weeks ago. She had sold me some of her vegetables, including the zucchini I used to make the cake. To fill you in, there were about a dozen people living in tiny whitewashed houses in the bay. It was 22 km to town, mostly along a rough 4WD track, so I had no access to fresh stuff. She loved the cake and wanted the recipe, but she spoke little English and I speak even less Greek so I rummaged around in her kitchen pulling out teaspoons and cups to show her the quantities LOL. There was lots of pantomimes and drawing of pictures. I was rewarded with two handfuls of free range eggs. I do so love excursions like this .

I am just about to make one of these before heading down to start working on the hull for the day.

Non vegan, but it is so good it is worth sharing. The cups I refer to are 250 ml sized.

1.25 cups packed, drained grated zucchini (3-4 medium, probably about 2 loose cups)

1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 flat tsp baking soda

1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

ORANGE ICING:
1 cup icing sugar
Rind 1 orange

- Grate zucchini (I used parmesan shaver) and in small handfuls squeeze out as much of the moisture as possible (densely pack the cup measurement then)
- Bake at 180°C (original recipe had 160°, but my boat oven does not do low temps) for 35-40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan.
- Ice when cool.

Photo is without the icing (it is fantastic with it, but I try not to overdose on sugar)
Just saw a sign recently that said. " Save the planet! It's the only one with chocolate! LOL
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 23:07   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Vegans Make Good Lovers

If they ever find another one with more chocolate, I want a transfer.

Coops.
Old 24-11-2013, 19:46   #11

Quote:
I did not post them here, as they are not vegan. They are both so good though (best two chocolate cakes I have ever had) that a little thread drift could be excused.

Non vegan, but it is so good it is worth sharing. The cups I refer to are 250 ml sized.

1.25 cups packed, drained grated zucchini (3-4 medium; edited to add: I just made a cake and checked, it is about 4 very loose cups)

1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 flat tsp baking soda

1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

ORANGE ICING:
1 cup icing sugar
Rind 1 orange

- Cool in pan.
- Ice when cool.

many thanks<big smile>...I kinda love chocolate cake and when you mentioned how good they were I just had to ask about them.
I will give em a try and so will other friends I know that love chocolate
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 20:05   #12

Quote:

1.5 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 flat tsp baking soda

1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

ORANGE ICING:
1 cup icing sugar
Rind 1 orange

- Cool in pan.
- Ice when cool.

sugar has too many carbs so I like to use honey. Honey is twice as sweet as sugar and has about the same carbs per spoonful but you only need half or even less to get the same sweetness as with sugar. The first try substitute one measure of honey for each two measures of sugar called for in the recipe. Honey is also hygroscopic so your cake or what ever will tend to stay nice and soft. For frosting you may have to add a little flower or other of your choice to get it thicker. I being a chocoholic would just add a little more dark chocolate 99%.
I'm one of those people that never use exact measurements I just add to taste or consistency and sometimes I get very good results. I do not recommend doing things my way cause when you do hit on a really good combination it does you no good because you didn't take accurate measuements or notes and can't ever repeat it exactly.
Guess you could call me the"surprise" cook...smile...

PS: I thought there were two recipes?
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 23:34   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
SHAKTIGURL'S ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CAKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
PS: I thought there were two recipes?
As you have all probably recovered by now from swooning after making and tasting the Zucchini Chocolate Cake, I guess it is time to hit you with the big one - Beetroot Chocolate Cake.

This recipe was based on one sent to me, but I have altered it so much that it is unrecognisable from the original, so will give it the SWL appellation . The beetroot lends a rich colour and makes the cake beautifully moist (it keeps well for days if you can resist not eating it beforehand).

SWL's BEETROOT CHOCOLATE CAKE

2 cups plain flour
1 heaped tsp baking powder (or make the flour SR if available)
1 flat teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

250 g cooked beetroot, peeled (I use a pressure cooker). Don't even think about using the vinegary tinned stuff!
1/4 cup vegetable oil

3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup yoghurt

50-100 g roughly chopped dark choc

- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Oil a round silicone cake tin
- Sift flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa
- Puree beetroot with oil (makes just over 1 cup total)
- In a large bowl whisk together beetroot, eggs, vanilla, sugar and yoghurt
- Gently stir choc and flour into liquid mix
- Pour batter into prepared tin
- Bake for 35 minutes until done
- Cool and frost with icing made with a little of the water the beetroot was cooked in.

The icing colour here is not for the faint hearted LOL. I now make it with only a few drops of beetroot cooking liquid and the rest boiling water. It is also lovely with the orange icing I use in the zucchini choc cake recipe:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	264
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	71346  

Old 02-12-2013, 23:12   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Let Us Eat Cake

Our current favourite, Chocolate lasagne cake.

http://centercutcook.com/chocolate-lasagna/

Coops.
Old 03-12-2013, 00:29   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Let Us Eat Cake

> Our current favourite

Where do you get Cool Whip - or what do you use as a replacement?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes