Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 14:29   #1

Lactose Free Milk Availability

Just curious, how hard is it to find lactose free milk in cruising areas? I know it would be readily available in the US and Europe, but what about more 3rd world countries? I searched and couldn't find anything, which surprised me considering the number of people who are lactose intolerant or lactose sensitive.
bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 14:39   #2

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Lactose Free Milk Availability

Being lactose intolerant myself, I finally gave up on purchasing lactose free milk and switched to soy or almond milk. The stuff in boxes is good for at least a year and can be purchased in bulk at places like Costco. There are several flavor choices available; sweetened, unsweetened and vanilla. All are available as organic. I have not yet taste tested rice milk or hemp milk. Lots of choices and much easier than trying to find lactose free milk. Just start taste testing and find one you like.
SailorTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 14:45   #3

Well there goes my daily iced white chocolate mocha. :/

Thanks for the info. Luckily I'm only lactose sensitive so it's not a huge problem unless I'm having 8oz a day. I've tried almond and soy milk but didn't care for them that much.
bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 17:19   #4

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

If you can get raw milk from grass fed cows or goats, and let the milk sit at room temperature for 12 to 36 hours, then you shouldn't have a problem with Lactose in it. I do this all the time with my fresh raw milk. I would never drink raw milk from cows fed bunches of corn or other grains.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 18:07   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Suggest you try Unsweetened BLUE DIAMOND almond breeze. It comes in a box and keeps well. It even almost OK in coffee.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 18:28   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorTrish View Post
Being lactose intolerant myself, I finally gave up on purchasing lactose free milk and switched to soy or almond milk. The stuff in boxes is good for at least a year and can be purchased in bulk at places like Costco. There are several flavor choices available; sweetened, unsweetened and vanilla. All are available as organic. I have not yet taste tested rice milk or hemp milk. Lots of choices and much easier than trying to find lactose free milk. Just start taste testing and find one you like.

Yup...been doing the Kirkland Organic Soy for a few years now. I love the taste. I serve I to friends in their coffee. They do not know the difference...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 18:44   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

In many areas of the Caribbean or Bahamas you will be lucky to find any milk at all in stores, and it will mostly be long-life stuff. Having said that, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find it in large supermarkets near tourist places, though I haven't looked. Basically, the rule cruising is if there is some food stuff that you absolutely have to have you must bring your own supplies of it as you can't be certain of finding anything when you need it.
Old 04-09-2012, 19:01   #8

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
In many places where you do not have access to lactose free, you could probably ask around for fresh goat milk, which most people can tolerate.