Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46   #31

Kill Two Birds with One Stone

Just get a pirate: keep your knife there.

A good rule on the boat is that equipment has more than one function. The pirate is an essential boat accessory with many uses.
In addition to holding your knife, the pirate is indispensable when negotiating anchorage space, making rigging repairs, and procuring supplies (don't ask: just load it on board and get ready to weigh anchor).

Our starter set comes with one fully-functional pirate, with authentic swagger, body odor, salty language, and corrupt morals. Standard accessories such as eye--patch, small collapsable telescope, and gold earring show our attention to detail.

Optional accessories are available to complete your TPE (total pirate effect): Jolly Roger, peg leg, vaguely-delineated treasure map (caution: the map will initiate a distinct obsessive attitude in your pirate, evidenced by muttering, secrecy, and counting out paces on the deck, and may result in the commandeering of your vessel if not monitored closely), brace of pistols tucked in breeches, and parrot (two vocabulary levels available: "cute/salty" and "obscene/blasphemous". Order with caution).

The care and feeding of your pirate couldn't be simpler: a few pieces of hardtack (weevils add needed protein) and unlimited quantities of rum are the essentials, though your pirate loves roasted meats such as brisket and bacon, heavy sauces and gravies, and the occasional light dessert.

Your pirate may sleep 'til noon, and loll about, giving the impression he is unmotivated, but in reality he thrives on activity; not giving him enough to do, while always supervising with a firm hand, may result in restless behavior: plotting to mutiny, slipping off for unauthorized shore leave (additional insurance is available), and sneaking wenches aboard are the classic tell-tale signs of a bored buccaneer.

If full-scale pillaging is desired, all that is necessary is to order a second pirate: you won't be able to stop them: you'll soon be the scourge of the high seas! (Will require cannon retrofit to your vessel).

Order now to beat the Spring rush!

Cautions: do not order pirate if you have a wife or teenage daughter; pirate is non-magnetic, and cannot be held to the bulkhead with a magnetic strip of any strength; all sales final; black-balling instructions available for an additional charge.
Old 04-01-2009, 14:27   #32

Update

1. In response to complaints of owners who use inflatable tenders, the hand-hook accessory is only available by special order.
  2. Because of high demand, the Galley Wench model is on back-order. And no, you may not purchase the floor model: she goes back to my boat with me every night. Efforts to meet demand by modifying standard St. Pauli girls has proven problematic: it seems we can't get them back from the beta testers.
  3. In the event of an actual roll-over, the pirate may not be able to hold onto your knife. If you leave the pirate at the helm in storm conditions in his usual inebriated condition, he may be the cause of the roll-over.

Caution: experience has shown that combining the Pirate and Galley Wench on one vessel is a very unstable combination, and should be avoided at all costs.
Old 04-01-2009, 14:29   #33

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJeff View Post
Just get a pirate: keep your knife there.
That was fantastic! You win. I am going to order mine today,

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 14:33   #34

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJeff View Post
On second thought ...

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:38   #35

Boat: Beneteau 393 Destination
Have you considered individuals covers? They are white plastic covers (like books) that clip shut around the blade with rubber grips that keep the blade in place. I trust my expensive chef's knives to these. Come in lots of sizes. They are not expensive and allow me to store my knives in a drawer.
maganlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 13:59   #36

Boat: Bristol 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by maganlewis@eart View Post
Have you considered individuals covers? They are white plastic covers (like books) that clip shut around the blade with rubber grips that keep the blade in place. I trust my expensive chef's knives to these. Come in lots of sizes. They are not expensive and allow me to store my knives in a drawer.
I have always used a sheath, but your suggestion sounds interesting and less expensive. I am not familiar with them.
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 15:07   #37

I have no idea how to attach a photo. So I found pictures on instawares.com. Search for "Bladesafe". I did not buy mine from this site, but they had the best pictures. :-) The black dots are the rubber grips inside that hold the blade in place. There are clippy closers on the side so the "book" doesn't pop open. They come in several lengths. I've had mine for years and I open and close the one on my favorite knife at least once/day!
Old 10-01-2009, 15:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbounder View Post
I have always used a sheath, but your suggestion sounds interesting and less expensive. I am not familiar with them.
I have no idea how to attach a photo. So I found pictures on instawares.com. Search for "Bladesafe". I did not buy mine from this site, but they had the best pictures. :-) The black dots are the rubber grips inside that hold the blade in place. There are clippy closers on the side so the "book" doesn't pop open. They come in several lengths. I've had mine for years and I open and close the one on my favorite knife at least once/day!
Old 10-01-2009, 17:15   #39

Boat: Bristol 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by maganlewis@eart View Post
Thanks!!!
I found them.
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:16   #40

LamsonSharp Knife Safe Set

toss these on them and put them in a drawer.
i've also seen ones that have a built in sharpener.
absentreferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 19:48   #41

Boat: Neptun, 31, Zoria
They make Chefs knife cases, kind of like a brief case for knives. These would keep your knives protected in a draw or locker.
Old 11-02-2009, 13:52   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
How about this: If you really like the convenience of the magnetic strip holder but worry about ultimate holding power in rough wx, one could add a "keeper". This would consist of an alloy or timber bar the same length as the mag holder,possibly with soft foam on its inner side, and which would be attached with thumbscrews at each end, clamping the blades in place while offshore or in rough wx.

You work out the details!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 16:18   #43

Boat: CSY 44' Grace
I use ceramic knives. Hold and edge and don't rust. The magnet thing would not work.