Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-07-2008, 23:14   #16

It would be easy to get a little canvas and some stiffener. Lay your knives out on the canvas and make a little roll up case. You know the kind like a wrench roll or tool roll. Use th stiffener to protect the knives and canvas, binding tape the edges and off you go.
I have equiped both the RV and sailboat with a set of cheap cooking tools, in drawers or in a block . But I travel with my nice set in a canvas roll.
You could make it out of oilskin too. Or silicon impregnated cloth. If it was food grade.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:27   #17

You can buy very cheap, Chinese cleavers. The blade area is about 200mm long. They are made of a quite thin material and poor quality stainless. Combined with an old type discs and handle sharpener, they can be kept so sharp that you do not put them in the sink when washing up. You really dont need any other sharp knives with one of these. This means having only one to keep "locked down". Like so many stainless knives, they are prone to rusting ! I have found that because I only use the one, unless I leave the boat for an extended period of time it is never a problem. The beautifully made "mundial" brand or similar, chefs knives (of which I have) are made of a quality thick stainless material. The cheapo cleaver with a wipe through the sharpener, ( something that would be sacrilegious to a good quality knife) before cooking will slice through soft tomatoe with the smallest of hand movements. For fine cutting you hold over the top of the cleaver, roughly in the middle of the blade. For dicing or trimming meat, by the handle. For herbs, garlic or all the wonderful "adds" (like citrus peels or what ever is local) you also hold over the top of the blade but use a rocking motion like the Italian "Lunar" style knives. For crunchy stuff, like nuts after you have practiced a little, you can place a T towel over your hands. Rock...push to the centre...rock...push to the centre...have a look. Push whats on the blade off, one side of one finger, from the handle down and forwards. Slightest backwards and you will change the meat contents of your dish! Holding in place...easy....super cheap knife...if it dosnt already have a hole in it ..drill one! A single stainless bolt sticking out, with a butterfly nut.....(stainless) ...you want some one pot gourmet recipes ; )...........

Old 12-07-2008, 06:01   #18

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
We mounted a magnetic strip on the inside of the cabinet door below the galley sink. The knives have never come loose in heavy seas, and it keeps them neat. I'm not a big fan of having lots of stuff on the countertops, even though the cat does not require much stowing before heading out. That eliminated the knife block idea for us. This is the second boat on which we have used a magnetic strip for knives, and it just works for us.
Old 27-12-2008, 15:05   #19

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
I have a drawer with my flatware in it that is in a homemade divider with a handle. Pull out the divider and below is knife storage, again homemade, that my knives fit in. Chhose your flatware and knife selection well, it doesn't take too much to be happy, even with guests. 1 drawer is all I needed.
Old 27-12-2008, 15:21   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Why not just buy a knife block and epoxy it to a counter somewhere out of the way but within easy reach? If you worry about them jumping out, a leather strap with snaps at both ends and on each side of the block will hold them in and look decent.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 16:32   #21

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
I have the drawer already for flatware. I like clean counters. I have been in bad weather and EVERYTHING gets stowed. Yes glueing it down on the counter wopuld be sufficient, and the straps good. In bad weather you can even take them out and store them elsewhere. I am just the kind of guy who likes to stow things and take more time to do things by gettiong upset that things are always stored and not out in the open. I lost a 5 gallon orange bucket on my boat for 2 months once... I just found my air rivet gun after 3 months of searching. Usually it is right in front of my face. But it gives me something to do...
Old 27-12-2008, 16:44   #22

Boat: Beneteau 393, "Blackthorn"
Simple solution from Defender Cutlery Rack

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 17:00   #23

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Kershaw Deluxe Blade Trader Knife at The Kershaw Store

I received one of the Kershaw knife Blade trader kits years ago as a Xmas present.
It's a great system. All the knives you need to use in one kit. It packs away in a folding case and stows in a locking drawer in the galley. I would highly recommend it.
They have never lost an edge.

Tempest.
Old 27-12-2008, 18:41   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 37
We use the magnetic thing but then I put a bungy across them also, then just slide the knife behind the bungy, seems to work very well
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 19:19   #25

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter 28' - CALYPSO
We have a knife block attached to the divider behind the stove (hard to describe, but I'll try):

gimballed stove on stbd side of boat in galley. Behind the stove is a stainless-sheathed plywood divider to make a locker outboard of hte stove. Between the stove and the divider, on the stove side (although could be on either side) is a block into which the knives slide. Hope this is clear.

We bought the block at JK Adams, which does not make it any longer. BUT . . . it would be a simple fix as the block is maybe a 3"x7" block with slots cut into it, some wider and thicker than others.

Easy to access, easy to put away, hard for the kiddies to reach.

Good knives are one of the things that make boat cooking enjoyable and doable. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2009, 13:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Cabo,how about going to a good wurstwaren (a place that sells german wursts and salamis, etc.) and buying a dozen nice salamis and cevalats and such? Then you just hang 'em alongside the galley, and stick a knife or two in each one.<VBG>

Keeps the rust away, too!

Haha, that's one of the more bizarre answers I could have imagined.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:20   #27

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by boethius27 View Post
Haha, that's one of the more bizarre answers I could have imagined.
My favourite too
Old 04-01-2009, 05:28   #28

Storing sharp knives (or anything) is a problem. A mounted knife block is not a bad idea except in a roll and then you could be at the wrong place (you obviously are) at the wrong time and be impaled to a bulkhead.

On the other hand, how many different knives to you need in the galley? I've done pretty good with basically 3 "sharp" knives in a drawer: A medium length sharp one which cuts meat, veggies and so forth and smaller paring knife and a "regular" serrated one. But I am not a gourmet chef and I may not know what I am missing because... well, I never seem to need another type of knife... like a cleaver or Ginzu.

How many kitchen prep knives do you carry?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 37
we carry about 5 or 6, plus a cleaver for steaking out fish! But I REALLY like knives You never know when the pirates will come (tounge in cheek). I think, me coming up on deck looking like a wildman carrying a cleaver would scare anyone off. I don't think carrying a wurst full of knives would have the same effect
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:17   #30

Boat: 32' CC Oday
Put knife cleats on the inside of each drawer

Use 1" X 2" lumber.

Cut a 1/8" wide, 1" deep groove (for knife blade) down the center of the 1" side.

Install the cleat horizontally to the inside of the drawer (groove side up).

Place the knife blade into the groove.

You can place a cleat on both inner sides of the drawer and the inside face, thus storing 3 knives in each drawer.

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: