Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 17:47   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
knife recommendations

I'm not looking for really expensive knives, but knives that are good cutters and won't rust, or rust slowly.

I'm thinking maybe 3 knives maximum excluding steak knives.

Looking more for brand suggestions.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 18:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: knife recommendations

Kitchen knives?
We seem to like the ceramic ones you buy at the grocery store, no idea of brand though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 19:24   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 38

For cooking let me recommend an 8" chef knife, a pairing knife, and a serrated edge slicing knife (used mostly for slicing fresh bread in our galley). This is basic kit for the cooking pro and very versatile.

Wusthof Pro series is a good place to start looking. These are entry level pro knives, which I have found to hold up well in rough service.

I recommend holding the chef knife in your hand before purchasing to feel the balance in YOUR hand. I well fitting knife is balances and a joy to use. If looking to save money, get the best quality chef knife possible, and skimp on the the others. Also get a good sharpener and use it frequently.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 21:19   #4

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

As a former chef, one that still loves to cook. I would recommend victorinox. (makers of Swiss army knives)
Softer steel, so needs to be tended to to keep sharp but gets razor sharp. I can shave with my chefs knife.
I don't know how they hold up on a boat yet, but I have owned mine for over 25 years now using them daily, and the blades are like new and the handles arent worn, just mold perfectly to my hand.
As for which to buy..
1, a good chefs knife, indispensable once you get used to it
2, on a boat I would say a boning knife if you fish
3, paring knife
A steak knife can sub in for a bread knife if needed, and personally I don't like serrated knives(they are designed for right hand use, I'm a lefty)
Any stainless must be maintained though, sea air will be brutal if you don't stay on top of it. So if you won't use them much, the ceramic knives are your best bet.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:05   #5

Boat: Com-Pac Eclipse

It's all about the quality of the stainless steel.

I was curious and found this article, https://theboatgalley.com/knives-knife-storage/. She recommends Victorinox Fibrox and using a BladeSafe for storage.

I looked up ceramic, and you're better off with stainless, besides, what's a little rust, it's just iron in your diet, right?
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:56   #6
cruiser

Cutco.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:06   #7

Boat: Valiant 40
knife recommendations

I have a quality Henckels santoku knife that I’ve had for years. So far, it has not rusted on the boat.

I like santoku knives, which are basically sheepsfoot knives, because they are more convenient for tight spaces and small cutting boards and they are safer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4516.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	175271

I also have two ceramic paring knives which have lasted well.
Old 12-08-2018, 22:11   #8

I have the very same Henckels santoku knife and love it, use it about 90 % of knife work. I used to think it was the "dimples" that made it great but then read an article about Japanese knives have a much sharper angle to its cutting surface. I find the blade much thinner than other popular carving knives which helps in performance. I love, love, love this knife.
Old 13-08-2018, 10:02   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Two disposable things... cheap sharp ceramic knives from the dollar store and non stick cheap pans fro wherever. When they get wrecked after a year or two, throw them out and get new ones!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:44   #10
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The short Victorinox knives are very cheap, and 100x better than what you get at the dollar store.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 23:11   #11

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

When my wife and I separated, she kept all the kitchen knives.... fine by me. I have been quite happy using my carbon steel, survival knives for kitchen duty. I have a few Mora's a KaBar and a few of Bushcrafting knives, all except the KaBar are scandi grind and easy to sharpen. I can batton through firewood with my bushcraft knife, so cutting onions is no problem.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 15:25   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Do you have Dyneema/whatever cored halyards and sheets?? If so an expensive knife like a Boye https://www.boyeknives.com/collectio...-folding-knife or some ceramic knives are a must. The exotics are hard to cut with conventional knives and dull them quickly. If you ever have to cut away your lines you'll thank a greater power you had one. The reason I say several ceramic knives is they break if asked to bend. Not that they are overly fragile but don't ever try and pry with one of them.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 09:23   #13

Have used Victorinox kitchen knives at home for years with great satisfaction.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 09:52   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Most importantly, have a way to keep whatever you use sharp. I never got the hang of a sharpening steel, but a small counter-top sharpening block used for a couple swipes at each use keeps a good edge. Sharpening is the reason I don't like ceramic knives as you need diamond honing, and I don't have that capability on-board. Dull knives are dangerous.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 22:06   #15

I hone my knives frequently, very frequently. A simple test to see how well your knife is sharpened is to cut a tomato, if your blade doesn't slice through easily, hone it and try again, then it will work.

Tags
men