Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 21:52   #31

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
The best affordable instrument for sterilizing instruments remains an autoclave. About 25 psi at 270 degrees F for 30 minutes should be enough time between slices of bread. Mind you, it takes a cold autoclave about 20 minutes to reach that temp and pressure, so sterilizing several butter knives to use one after another should lower the overall time it takes to prepare lunch. Allow say an extra hour or so. Say, just how many sailboats have an autoclave anyway?

Not any would be my guess.
Old 02-10-2012, 21:59   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Keeping mayonnaise with no refrig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Who was it that stated it was the mayo, and how did they scientifically prove that?
Look- this was almost 40 years ago and weeks after the incident I heard from the family I had gone up with that the state was concerned about the water we had had from the streams and that they had tested it with no negative results. They concluded that it was the mayo in some sandwiches we'd eaten that sickened us. Regardless of whether or not that was actually the case, I'm not gonna be eating any unrefrigerated mayo. If you want to- have at it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 21:59   #33

If invited to go sailing and lunch, would you ask for mayo on a sandwich from an opened jar you knew to be old, half used and never refrigerated?

No prudent person would say yes to this.

Health food inspectors will never eat at food bars. Food exposed to time and elevated temps for even a few hours will make them turn away from something they certify is safe for everyone else to eat from.
Old 02-10-2012, 22:20   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Cut it out!

There is good and bad flora in the human body. I would think a triple A preparation up the nose could cause as much harm as good.

I would get a sinus tea pot and gently follow directions for busing sea salt water. Maybe a solution of ozoneated water. Hey, but then again, just advice I would on myself. I am not a saw bones.
After the sinus pot lets put a couple of ear-candles in and see what happens!..lol
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 22:32   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Ste-rial is for the boy in the plastic bubble..the rest of us need the germs...anti bacterial this and that is for silly and sick people.what happens when you spray discenfectint on door knobs? You get menengitus from the door knob that was not sprayed..not really but you get the picture,silly rabbit,I mean Howard Hughes..lol
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 23:15   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

This thread reminds me of the Mythbusters "Double Dipping" Episode. Short story: There are WAY more background bacteria in what you are eating, than are contributed by double dipping. Dip away! (Sorry, I still hate double-dippers).

Myth: Does double-dipping really spread germs? : Discovery Channel

P.S. I'm a molecular biologist by education (Rice University PhD dropout), and there's no way I'm eating unrefrigerated mayo. But, I DO remember my poultry science professor cracking an egg on the overhead that had been sitting on his file cabinet for 11 years - looked good to me!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 23:19   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

We heard that Mayo kept with refrigeration before we left for SoPac. Bought a jar and tried it out for a couple of montha before we left without any problems. Bought smallish jars to take with us just to be cautious. No problems with Mayo that had been open for several months in a year and a half in the tropics. Met a couple on a trimaran that loved their Mayonaise. In fact loved it so much they bought it in the industrial sized gallon jars that you find in commercial kitchens and kept it unrefrigerated.

BTW, we had eggs that lasted more than 6 months before we finally ran out. We are way too paranoid about dirt in the US. So paranoid some medical people think we are setting ourselves up for an epidemic. By being super germ conscious, we don't develop natural immunity to common bugs.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 23:22   #38

Myth busters is about like asking a 4 year old to build something. I watched a show or two, till the foolishness of their adventures pissed me off. One of their shows put a projectile through an apartment building occupied with people. Saw that on national news. The show is on par with shows looking for ghosts or pro wrestling. IMHO
Old 02-10-2012, 23:27   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi
We heard that Mayo kept with refrigeration before we left for SoPac. Bought a jar and tried it out for a couple of montha before we left without any problems. Bought smallish jars to take with us just to be cautious. No problems with Mayo that had been open for several months in a year and a half in the tropics. Met a couple on a trimaran that loved their Mayonaise. In fact loved it so much they bought it in the industrial sized gallon jars that you find in commercial kitchens and kept it unrefrigerated.

BTW, we had eggs that lasted more than 6 months before we finally ran out. We are way too paranoid about dirt in the US. So paranoid some medical people think we are setting ourselves up for an epidemic. By being super germ conscious, we don't develop natural immunity to common bugs.
Good post!

Still not eating old warm mayo!
Old 02-10-2012, 23:52   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Myth busters is about like asking a 4 year old to build something. I watched a show or two, till the foolishness of their adventures pissed me off. One of their shows put a projectile through an apartment building occupied with people. Saw that on national news. The show is on par with shows looking for ghosts or pro wrestling. IMHO
Well, Gary, I guess you aren't a scientist? As one, I DO enjoy their show. While at first they worked on entertainment, their followers have forced them into pretty decent scientific methodology. I can occasionally find holes in their methodology, but I'm very often surprised that they saw it as well, and addressed it.

In particular, their piece on "double-dipping" was very well done, very well researched, and very well presented. Maybe you need to look again.

BTW, in the show you are discussing, they were on a BOMBING RANGE, and a projectile hit a house - not an apartment. I can't imagine they were thrilled with this result, either. They are usually insanely careful.

Please, point out where they are not scientific in their process - like on par with professional wrestling, as you say.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:18   #41

Wrestling has two goals. Entertain and sell advertising or in other ways produce revenues. Any programming on tv will follow that model.

I do not remember what episodes I tried to wade through in season one or two, but it was like watching Larry Moe and Curley investigate something. It was too painful to watch.

Scientist? What discipline?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:38   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Scientist? What discipline?
Molecular Biology/Molecular Genetics.
Old 03-10-2012, 22:57   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep

Molecular Biology/Molecular Genetics.
It is the biology scientists that were getting murdered all over the world a year or two ago. As I remember. Glad they (who ever they are) missed you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=biol...&client=safari

Lock your doors, don't jog alone in the woods and develop eyes in the back of your head.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:14   #44

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Just because you dont get sick from it doesnt mean that the protein is not teeming with microoraganisms. Different peoples bodies handle this differently. High risk populations include very young, very old, and people with compromised immunities already. Just because you havent gotten sick in the past doesnt mean that the next time that PARTICULAR STRAIN of salaominella organism is the one which puts you in the hospital. You see this witjh E COLI and viruses ( flu) all the time. Its a false sense of securitiy to state I have never gotten sick from this before.

Dave
A reasonable extension of this logic is to say that just because I have not been hit by falling space junk for 25 years it surely could happen and I should worry about it.

Yes, I know that the possibility of salmonella doing me in exists, but 25 years of unrefrigerated mayo experience leads me to relegate this threat to the not important bin.

So, in the event that you should ever be a guest on Insatiable II, you will have the choice of deadly mayo or dry sandwiches for your lunch... and no hard feelings from us.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-10-2012, 01:38   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Been using unrefrigerated mayo for several years now. The third eye that has grown on the back of my head has come in real handy.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais