Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 22:33   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Keeping mayonnaise with no refrig.

The magic formula.
Prepare to kill and clean the mold. Add 1 tbsp. of antibacterial dish soap and 1 tbsp. of white vinegar to a 1 quart bucket of hot water. Mix well.

Read more: How to Kill Mold on a Wall & Paint It | eHow.com How to Kill Mold on a Wall & Paint It | eHow.com
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 23:40   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Thanks. mate, but I was actually asking about treatment for painted surfaces inside a boat, not chow.

Cheers,

Jim
Oil of cloves in water and vinegar, very old remedy, no harsh chemicals. The oil extracted from clove leaf is apparently higher in the ingredient that kills mould, than the oil extracted from clove buds. But both will work.

Its expensive, but you only use small amounts, something like a teaspoonfull to 2 litres of water. Buy from internet or ebay, the health food stores are very expensive. There is a distributor in Maleny, somewhat near you, trades on ebay under name of spice isles.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:12   #108

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Miracle Whip is emphatically NOT mayonnaise. Like the other strange processed food products (velveeta etc) mw likely has an extended shelf life.
Yes...use by 2054.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:20   #109

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Next time I'm in the store I will look for you. That oxalic acid does a great job on rust stains on gel coat. It got stains out of my gel coat that I'd tried to get out with half a dozen other products.
Does a fine job bleach teak clean to a uniform look.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:39   #110

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Back to the original topic. Seems like my Mom was a Frenchie although I never new it, her maiden name was Smith and she had papers showing she was related to Capt. John Smith of Mayflower fame.

In any case she never put mayo (the real stuff not MW) in the fridge. I grew up this way and when I started college followed her example. I am 66 and still store my mayo outside the fridge, both on land and at sea.

YMMV
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:03   #111
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

In an effort to slide back to the original topic, at least somewhat ; -)

A coupla years ago my daughter had a bout of stomach upset, vomiting for the night and then low energy and not much appetite for 5 or so days after.

The next week I got an email recall notice from costco about eggs that had been marked because of salmonella issues. Checked my batch and sure enough, we had the recalled numbers.

A bulb went off in my head- I had made Caesar salad the night before she was ill. The Spouse showed no ill effects, and I was fine, but she had been sick.

Only in hindsight, he has a cast iron stomach, and I had been full and not really had much salad, while she, lover of Caesar salad that she is, had had 2 big servings.

That night I told them what had happened and we had a discussion about future Caesar salads and if I should continue making them with raw egg, as I always have.

The Spouse just laughed and said bring it on, more protein! The daughter looked at me like I was crazy and said "that's it? that's the big deal salmonella?? I am so not giving up your Caesar dressing for that!

So we continue to enjoy the 'real thing' and don't worry too much about it. I had used almost all of the eggs in the tainted batch by the time we got the recall and that was the only problem we had with them.

Caveat; Of course salmonella CAN be much worse. Of course, infants, small children, the elderly and the immune compromised are far more vulnerable and must be protected. I do not leave homemade mayo, hollandaise, Caesar dressing or other items with raw or partly raw eggs out of refrigeration, only commercially made and processed mayo.

I guess the point is, as with many things in life, the reality is not as scary as the anticipation. Risks are often lower than they seem. I expect that sailing is far more risky than unrefrigerated mayo. And both are elective ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:41   #112

Boat: PETERSON 44
Not so exciting a story. I don't refer the mayo. I use the squeeze bottle. It's not refrigerated on the shelf at the market. So long as I don't introduce bacteria it seems okay non referred. If its okay not refrigerated at the market why would it not be okay on my shelf?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:50   #113

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

This is an interesting thread. People seem quite energized on the subject. Wow.

I grew up in the US with big refrigerators. Americans keep all kinds of things in the fridge. Most of the rest of the world has smaller fridges if any at all, much like boats.

I buy commercial mayo in squeeze bottles to reduce the chances of contamination. If the fridge is full I keep the mayo on the shelf. Once the fridge has room I stick the mayo in there. Once refrigerated I don't leave mayo on the shelf but I can't give a good rationale for that practice.

Offshore, once we run out of mayo I just make it up in small batches and refrigerate that.

I may be wrong but I'm consistent. *grin*

Regardless I work hard to keep my galley sanitary with regular vinegar wipe-downs.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:24   #114
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

That information may have come from one of my early books. However, I stopped advising this publicly when I got a letter from a microbiologist pointing out the possible pitfalls. Now I do what I do but I may not always admit it, nor advise my readers to do it. In addition to the packets, which have a shorter shelf life, you can also buy case lots of small, single-serve jars of mayo and also 8-ounce jars (one cupful). Keep in mind too that most of us call anything "mayonnaise" that may not have the ingredients of mayonnaise and may or may not be safer without refrigeration.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:29   #115

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I really don't like the packets. The plastic disturbs me. I don't think that represents leaving a Clean Wake. Too much waste.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38   #116
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

The nice thing about the little bottles, which are one serving but hold more than the packets, is that they can be washed out and re-purposed to hold small parts or almost any tiny items (herbs, spare parts, beads). And they are waterproof. The metal lids rust after a while but the bottles can be corked or just replaced.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:52   #117
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the smallest plastic bottles--hellman's/best foods has 2 different smaller sizes..are wonderful--lasts less than a week if using it a lot, and the plastic lids are great--not metal at all, and small items--nuts, bolts, screws, fender washers, etc, can live in them after the mayo is gone.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50   #118

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We buy our mayo in the large mouth jars and use them for canning when empty! Ya can do this no matter where ya store it when ya are useing it !! We are Cruiseing as cheaply as we can ! We try to use things we can re-use!! Like Zee said, use the little ones for nuts and bolts and stuff, and the bigger ones for canning !! Just sayin the less ya throw away, the cleaner the world will be!!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:27   #119

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
The nice thing about the little bottles, which are one serving but hold more than the packets, is that they can be washed out and re-purposed .....................
Hear! Hear! I say ....

The single serve sachet often costs more for the packaging than for the contents and that's before it is added to the waste stream.
mausgras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53   #120
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use glass peanut butter jars for REAL butter---separates and doesnt taste like plastic. stash it in a place securely where no movement happens, and i am able to use jars for over 2 yrs...works great.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais