Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 18:51   #91

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Proof mayo kills

Warning on label of 5 gallon buckets of mayo at Costco

In theory, children only fall into vats of mayo setting out at room temp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2378635184.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	47660  
Old 05-10-2012, 18:56   #92

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Keeping mayonnaise with no refrig.

Gee we have both Mayo AND MW in our fridge! not out on the table till we eat !LOL I guess we are just not gormayes!!LOL just Gormans! (mostly we just like to eat!)And mayo amd MW and some Hot ketchup are darn good on shrimp and such !! (lets make a new thread on MW and different ketchups !) Im just messin LOL
Old 05-10-2012, 18:58   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

PS - mayo on "chips", that's such crazy talk and behavior
Much of the rest of the world call French Fries "chips".
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 18:59   #94

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Proof mayo kills

Warning on label of 5 gallon buckets of mayo at Costco

In theory, children only fall into vats of mayo setting out at room temp.
GAry, this belongs in the Bucket thread, not the Mayo thread... please re-post properly.

And I didn't even know that you could buy mayo in buckets! I wonder how many sandwiches you can make with a whole bucket of mayo?

Cheers,'

Jim
Old 05-10-2012, 19:09   #95

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/foo...onous.htm?r=et

Found this on the net. Interesting and supports the warm jar people.

-------------------------

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of mayonnaise.. Mullins is huge, and is owned by 11 brothers and sisters in the Mullins family. My friend, Jeanne, is the CEO.

Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

The guy who gave us our tour is named Ed. He's one of the brothers Ed is a chemistry expert and is involved in developing most of the sauce formula. He's even developed sauce formula for McDonald's.

Keep in mind that Ed is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made Mayo is completely safe.

"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the quaint essential picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade Mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the onions, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.
Old 05-10-2012, 19:13   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
buy petri dish.
place mayo (not gary) in this dish.
let sit for a week.
take to local favorite laboratory for testing for bacteria and fungi....
read results
buy small use fast...LOL
.. I think this will grow an aspurgilis(sp?)...and if you smear that across a larger substrate , something like a dextrose agar it will consume it in a matter of days ,unless of course it gets contaminated with a spore of another fungi or bacteria...a person can get sick breathing this mess in ...you can also propagate pure sterial cultures of edible fungi this way,an eastern puff ball(devils pipe) is good fried in some butter and you can add a little mayonnaise if you like! ...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 19:16   #97
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day RAku,

Are you saying that there is a product that really stops mold growth available from your supermarket?? I would love to know it's name and if possible, what the active ingredients are (since down here in the south many Yank products are not available).

Such a product would be a blessing even more valued than salmonella-proof mayo!

Cheers,

Jim
You can
squeeze lemon juice on just about any food and it last longer..
Old 05-10-2012, 20:14   #98
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
G'Day RAku,

Are you saying that there is a product that really stops mold growth available from your supermarket?? I would love to know it's name and if possible, what the active ingredients are (since down here in the south many Yank products are not available).

Such a product would be a blessing even more valued than salmonella-proof mayo!

Cheers,

Jim

I *think* it's made by Lysol, and it most definitely has the words "root penetrator" on it. I don't know what the active ingredients are, but the smell is so strong that I only sprayed small areas at a time and then stepped away. But boy did it work!

The boat's insides were literally covered with molds -- I counted eight distinct different types. I wore a mask and glovers, and sprayed, let it sit for five minutes before cleaning. Then I scrubbed with "Barkeeper's Friend." I know what the active ingredient is in that -- oxalic acid, and nothing abrasive. After rinsing that off, I sprayed again with the Lysol product.

The boat still had a couple of bad deck/toe rail leaks when it was pounded by all those squalls from Isaac, and when we got back to it, water had gathered in places. But even sitting in all that Miami heat with all that water on board, the only place that regrew any mold was the places I cleaned before I found that Lysol product in the store.

BTW, Barkeeper's Friend comes in two containers -- a cardboard cylinder with perforated lid, like most powdered cleaners, and a plastic bottle. I bought the plastic bottle thinking the plastic would hold up better, but that was liquid form, and for whatever reason doesn't do nearly as good a job as the powdered form does.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 20:18   #99
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
flamer--was teaching ye how to grow the bacteria from the bottle of mayo, not that it only lasts that long--please READ the posts which you attempt to answer.
i would NEVER use same mayo for 4 months, as raw egg in NOT cooked in vinegar and vinegar does NOT kill germs in eggs....i only keep my real mayonnaise 2 weeks max in tropics --and i use smallest possible bottles.

salmonella is REAL and will hurt ye. someone who used to brag about her old aged mayonnaise poisoned a party of 30 with hers, and hers was only 4 months old----was a helluva lawsuit. was a helluva lot of realllly sick folks. enjoy.

I'm not sure who you're calling a flamer, but it's pretty rude, or who you imagine is not reading the posts, but I can guess. Not agreeing with someone is not the same as not reading their posts. Just sayin'.

As I said before, it's the stuff we mix mayo with that goes bad and makes people sick -- not the mayo itself. I had a sandwich today for lunch with "old" mayo. I'm just fine. If I get food poisoning tomorrow I'm honest enough that I'll come in (when I am up to it!) and admit it.

You're entitled to believe whatever you want, but disagreeing with you is not "flaming." It's just free speech.
Old 05-10-2012, 20:19   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
You can
squeeze lemon juice on just about any food and it last longer..
Thanks. mate, but I was actually asking about treatment for painted surfaces inside a boat, not chow.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-10-2012, 20:25   #101
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks. mate, but I was actually asking about treatment for painted surfaces inside a boat, not chow.

Cheers,

Jim

I left out the state of the paint on this boat. Absolutely the worst, sloppiest paint job I have *ever* seen. In some places there were just GLOBS of paint dried on the surface. Those globs had crevices that must have been a haven for molds. But they all got sprayed with the mildew root penetrator, and the stuff didn't grow back even in those crevices.

The owner of the boat is going to have to "sand blast" (they don't use sand) both the outside and the inside and repaint. The things that happened to this boat are just a sin ... but when we finally sailed her, we found out that she is worth all the effort.
Old 05-10-2012, 20:27   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I *think* it's made by Lysol, and it most definitely has the words "root penetrator" on it. I don't know what the active ingredients are, but the smell is so strong that I only sprayed small areas at a time and then stepped away. But boy did it work!

The boat's insides were literally covered with molds -- I counted eight distinct different types. I wore a mask and glovers, and sprayed, let it sit for five minutes before cleaning. Then I scrubbed with "Barkeeper's Friend." I know what the active ingredient is in that -- oxalic acid, and nothing abrasive. After rinsing that off, I sprayed again with the Lysol product.

The boat still had a couple of bad deck/toe rail leaks when it was pounded by all those squalls from Isaac, and when we got back to it, water had gathered in places. But even sitting in all that Miami heat with all that water on board, the only place that regrew any mold was the places I cleaned before I found that Lysol product in the store.

BTW, Barkeeper's Friend comes in two containers -- a cardboard cylinder with perforated lid, like most powdered cleaners, and a plastic bottle. I bought the plastic bottle thinking the plastic would hold up better, but that was liquid form, and for whatever reason doesn't do nearly as good a job as the powdered form does.
Thanks for that, RAku... don't think I've seen that one down here. If you think of it, next time you come across a jug if this stuff, please check what the active ingredients are. Perhaps there is an equivalent product available down under. There are some sold here which are about equal proportions of sodium hypochlorate and sodium hydroxide. Kinda nasty to use, but effective in removing mold... but does not seem to prevent re-growth. They are good for removing stains from dinghy bottoms BTW.

And Barkeeper's friend similarly is absent. We just buy oxalic acid crystals from the hardware store (sold as masonry bleach) and make it up as required.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-10-2012, 20:35   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for that, RAku... don't think I've seen that one down here. If you think of it, next time you come across a jug if this stuff, please check what the active ingredients are. Perhaps there is an equivalent product available down under. There are some sold here which are about equal proportions of sodium hypochlorate and sodium hydroxide. Kinda nasty to use, but effective in removing mold... but does not seem to prevent re-growth. They are good for removing stains from dinghy bottoms BTW.

And Barkeeper's friend similarly is absent. We just buy oxalic acid crystals from the hardware store (sold as masonry bleach) and make it up as required.

Cheers,

Jim

Next time I'm in the store I will look for you. That oxalic acid does a great job on rust stains on gel coat. It got stains out of my gel coat that I'd tried to get out with half a dozen other products.
Old 05-10-2012, 21:29   #104

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

They sell Bar Keepers Friend at the dollar stores down here ! We buy it by the case, it works on just about everything! cleans and polishs stainless steel better then most anything Ive tryed ! and on brass, well theres just no way to say how well it cleans brass and bronze cus ya would not believe it !!It took rust stains I was really worried about, out like they were nothing ! I had 3 places on the hull that were stained badly by rusting Galvinised Lags holding down cap rails that were Bad ! when i fixed the railins the bar keepers friend took them away like nothing was ever there !! Good stuff
Old 05-10-2012, 21:35   #105
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Cheers,

Jim
most likely work there too! lemon oil prohibts mold, right?..?

Tags
ais