Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-10-2012, 21:55   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Keeping mayonnaise with no refrig.

I have been around the world and I have been exposed to pretty much every thing out there...if you have an immune problem you may get sick,if not you might live!!!

Old 02-10-2012, 22:00   #17

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
They say it is good to let small children crawl in dirt because it builds up the immune system. That snotty nose is tomorrow's healthy body.

Maybe also roll small children around in expired mayonnaise? I get unattended children in my store sometimes. Maybe I should try it? Lol

Old 02-10-2012, 22:04   #18

Mayo is the best hand cleaner I have ever used for removing grease from your hands...but don't stick your slimy hand in the jar!!!!
Old 02-10-2012, 22:05   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
They say it is good to let small children crawl in dirt because it builds up the immune system. That snotty nose is tomorrow's healthy body.

Maybe also roll small children around in expired mayonnaise? I get unattended children in my store sometimes. Maybe I should try it? Lol
You are just mad because your monacure(sp?) has Mayo in it!
Old 02-10-2012, 22:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarli
Mayo is the best hand cleaner I have ever used for removing grease from your hands...but don't stick your slimy hand in the jar!!!!
Cut it out!
Old 02-10-2012, 22:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

I also belive that anti -bact. soap is the last thing one needs if he or she has no immune problems...that is the "DOCTORS" best Perscription...got a nasel infection ? put a bunch of triple-antibiotic onitment on a Q -tip and stick it up your nose..it works !
Old 02-10-2012, 22:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
You are just mad because your monacure(sp?) has Mayo in it!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2664892679.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	47547  
Old 02-10-2012, 22:15   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by over40pirate View Post
Just remembered this, and thought I would pass it on.
Years ago, while cruising full time, a met a cruiser, who told me how to keep mayo, on board without refrigeration.
The secret, is never to put a knife or spoon in the jar, if it hasn't just been cleaned. Don't even stick it back in the jar for more, after spreading some on some bread.
It works. I've kept mayo for months without refrig.
Give it a try. Just remember, 1 time with a "dirty" utensil and it will go bad.

Actually, it just doesn't go bad. The notion that we really clean our utensils clear of all microbes is a complete myth. You can put a knife in boiling water and microbes can survive. You can soak it in bleach. The tiny cracks and crevices in virtually all your kitchen utensils make them impossible to sterilize. Just simple washing certainly won't do it.

Mayonnaise doesn't go bad, but the things you mix with it can. Everyone believes it's the mayonnaise, so the manufacturers protect themselves by labeling it "refrigerate after opening."

I have kept my mayo out of the refrig for years without any special precautions and have never gotten sick from it.
Old 02-10-2012, 22:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
I also belive that anti -bact. soap is the last thing one needs if he or she has no immune problems...that is the "DOCTORS" best Perscription...got a nasel infection ? put a bunch of triple-antibiotic onitment on a Q -tip and stick it up your nose..it works !
Cut it out!

There is good and bad flora in the human body. I would think a triple A preparation up the nose could cause as much harm as good.

I would get a sinus tea pot and gently follow directions for busing sea salt water. Maybe a solution of ozoneated water. Hey, but then again, just advice I would on myself. I am not a saw bones.
Old 02-10-2012, 22:18   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Once on a 3-day hike, I, and a friend, unable to walk any further, ended up on our backs and vomiting on the rocky shore of a remote lake in the Mount Lassen backcountry. Some hours later the rangers found us and took us to the hospital. At first they thought it was bad water we'd drank from the streams along the trail we'd been hiking but that turned out not to be the case. It was unrefrigerated mayo. FYI.

Unrefrigerated mayo by itself simply will not make you sick. Are you saying you ate ONLY mayo? That you didn't put it in tuna or something and come back to it several hours later?

Who was it that stated it was the mayo, and how did they scientifically prove that?
Old 02-10-2012, 22:19   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

Actually, it just doesn't go bad. The notion that we really clean our utensils clear of all microbes is a complete myth. You can put a knife in boiling water and microbes can survive. You can soak it in bleach. The tiny cracks and crevices in virtually all your kitchen utensils make them impossible to sterilize. Just simple washing certainly won't do it.

Mayonnaise doesn't go bad, but the things you mix with it can. Everyone believes it's the mayonnaise, so the manufacturers protect themselves by labeling it "refrigerate after opening."

I have kept my mayo out of the refrig for years without any special precautions and have never gotten sick from it.
If hot water and bleach is not good enough to wash a butter knife, what do you reach into the 3 year old mayo bottle with? Seems there are few options. Autoclave?
Old 02-10-2012, 22:19   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Mayonnaise is acidic and not a very hospitable environment for bacteria. Commercial mayo has been pasteurized and processed so that it is pretty much sterile. The advice about keeping the utensils clean is good. It would be the tiny food particles that are transferred back into the jar that actually 'rot', thus contaminating the whole jar.

A study done maybe 20 years ago found that sandwiches made with butter were a higher risk of spoilage than ones made with mayo or mustard (also an acidic medium).

If you got sick eating something with mayo on it it was prolly the food with it that was bad, not the mayo.

I love the squeeze bottles so I don't even have to think about the condition of the spoon or knife.

This is all true, but what those who want to worry about it should read up on is how hard it is to truly sterilize anything. We are putting "dirty" utensils into everything, including the mayo, all the time.
Old 02-10-2012, 22:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

Unrefrigerated mayo by itself simply will not make you sick. Are you saying you ate ONLY mayo? That you didn't put it in tuna or something and come back to it several hours later?

Who was it that stated it was the mayo, and how did they scientifically prove that?
To a small degree, the lemon, salt and other things in the mayo helps safeguard a sandwich sitting in a sack half the day.

However, half a day, is not weeks, months or years.
Old 02-10-2012, 22:22   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarli View Post

When I was in high school I made a dress in home ec that was heavily smocked. It was the height of style and I really liked it. Then one day after school I went to the beach with friends. We changed into our swimsuits in a gas station and I put the dress in someone's trunk -- where dirty grease goe on it. I went to my home ec teacher and told her what happened, and she told me to rub mayonnaise on the grease and then wash it.

It worked.
Old 02-10-2012, 22:24   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
If hot water and bleach is not good enough to wash a butter knife, what do you reach into the 3 year old mayo bottle with? Seems there are few options. Autoclave?

I typeset a textbook on microbiology once, used to instruct dental students. The bottom line was that it was not possible to sterilize everything all the time -- not even in an autoclave.

Tags
ais

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: