Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 09:56   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Jedi's Rye Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Damn, you aren't helping my bread-free diet one bit! That looks amazing, and while I don't eat white bread, I still love any bready item that is heavy and savoury and built like a brick...
Bread free diet? Do you have some kind of masochistic tendencies LOL?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:35   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mention of walnuts reminds me of a loaf I make that is lovely with a creamy blue cheese. It is not a sweet loaf.

Walnut and fig bread

1 3/4 cups warm water
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp (1 sachet) dried yeast
2 tlbl extra virgin olive oil
2 cups strong white flour
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
2 cups walnut halves, lightly toasted (don't skip this, it really brings out the flavour)
About 8 dried figs, roughly chopped

Mix water, sugar and yeast and let stand 10 min until frothy.
Sift flours and salt together, returning husks to the mix.
Toss in walnuts and figs.
Stir in yeast and oil (it should be a slightly sticky still at this stage).
Knead 5-10 min, depending how enthusiastic you are .
Leave to rise in a covered bowl until at least doubled in size (unless your room temperature is in the high 20's (80+ F), place the bowl on a hot water bottle. It really does need warmth to rise).
Punch down.
Tip into an oiled silicone round cake tin.
Leave until doubled in size again.
Bake in a hot oven about 45 minutes (it will increase another 50% in size while it is baking).

Writing this out has sent me hunting to see if I have walnuts on board

Old 08-03-2013, 11:21   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Is that the bread you served with that excellent Spanish curado cheese when we visited you last year..
Did end up buying a round of it in Panama City... even at $145 it was well worth it and lasted all the way to Vanuatu...
yes, you got to taste it direct from the source This recipe has been a success ever since we replaced the water with Guinness

I just found out the other recipe was never written down yet while we bake it a couple of times a week... so I'll work on that and post it here soon p.s. we like that one best with Presidente beer from Republica Dominica
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:31   #19
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
By my standards, Guinness itself is practically "Bud Light", and "Bud Light" is bat piss.
we shutting of the supply if it asap, and manning the parapets.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:05   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Okay, I can do this one from memory:

1 can (standard US size, 355ml) of pilsener, we use Presidente beer
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups white bread flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp instant yeast

We throw all that in our Zojirushi for the standard dough program, which is a three rise, double punch-down dough program.

After that, we dump it on a floured work surface, and cut it in two halves for two small breads or.. a pizza tonight and the other half into the fridge for a bread tomorrow

For pizza, just roll half the dough out and cover a baking pan with it, followed by whatever you like but we always first brush some olive oil on and follow up with tomato sauce etc. We bake at 180 deg. Celcius for 30 minutes.

For bread, take half of the dough and form a "boule" (like the previous picture of the rye bread). Take a silicone matt, put it in an oven pan, flour it a bit and put the boule on that. put this in a cold oven for an hour. Next, cut the top so that it doesn't explode while baking and while leaving the bread in the oven (no preheat), ignite it and set for 200 deg. Celcius or so. With our Force10 oven, it is perfect after 35 minutes. Every oven is different so experiment a bit but starting with a cold oven gives it plenty time for it's last rise or what we call the "oven spring"

This is the bread that good Italian restaurants serve free with your drinks before you get your food
Old 08-03-2013, 12:26   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups white bread flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp instant yeast

We throw all that in our Zojirushi for the standard dough program, which is a three rise, double punch-down dough program.

After that, we dump it on a floured work surface, and cut it in two halves for two small breads or.. a pizza tonight and the other half into the fridge for a bread tomorrow

For pizza, just roll half the dough out and cover a baking pan with it, followed by whatever you like but we always first brush some olive oil on and follow up with tomato sauce etc. We bake at 180 deg. Celcius for 30 minutes.

For bread, take half of the dough and form a "boule" (like the previous picture of the rye bread). Take a silicone matt, put it in an oven pan, flour it a bit and put the boule on that. put this in a cold oven for an hour. Next, cut the top so that it doesn't explode while baking and while leaving the bread in the oven (no preheat), ignite it and set for 200 deg. Celcius or so. With our Force10 oven, it is perfect after 35 minutes. Every oven is different so experiment a bit but starting with a cold oven gives it plenty time for it's last rise or what we call the "oven spring"

This is the bread that good Italian restaurants serve free with your drinks before you get your food
Thanks! I had never made bread with beer prior to today. I'll give this recipe go as soon as we have eaten the rye. My better half prefers white bread, so he will be happy with this version .

No walnuts on board (I have hazelnuts, almonds, macadamias, pistchios and even fresh chestnuts, but no walnuts LOL). I need to launch the dinghy again tomorrow and go source some. Everything is closed here on Sundays. I haven't made that walnut loaf in a while and it is truly good. Will be nice for breakfast on Sunday .

Old 08-03-2013, 16:19   #22

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Bread free diet? Do you have some kind of masochistic tendencies LOL?
That might be more fun. No, I'm on a special diet to resolve some health issues that could cramp my cruising plans. Carbs are strictly limited, and dumping bread for a few months was the path of least resistance, and that's not entirely the metaphor it seems to be.

No pasta, either. Think "low-calorie paleolithic". I'm on Day 16 and am down 12 pounds.

But I dream of pumpernickel.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 18:15   #23

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups white bread flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp instant yeast

Thank you for the recipe. I have a couple of questions (bread newbie here) -- can I use regular yeast (it has been a b---h finding yeast at all here. And, can I leave it in the Zojirushi for the final finish -- the only reason I ask is hubby is really against using the oven -- hence the Zojirushi.

Thanks for the help,
Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 18:34   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post

Thank you for the recipe. I have a couple of questions (bread newbie here) -- can I use regular yeast (it has been a b---h finding yeast at all here. And, can I leave it in the Zojirushi for the final finish -- the only reason I ask is hubby is really against using the oven -- hence the Zojirushi.

Thanks for the help,
Robyn
Yes, regular yeast works well. Choose regular bread program which is 03:40 hour:min I believe. It won't be as good as from the oven and you can't do the pizza in the machine

The rye bread works better in the machine than the white bread recipe I think. In the Zojirushi manual is a recipe for light rye bread that I used as the basis for my recipe because it was better than everything in all the books I have

We used to have a sourdough culture but two keppers we asked to take care of it last summer bith let it die..

Old 08-03-2013, 18:34   #25

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:

By my standards, -----"Bud Light" is bat piss.
Please don't insult the bats.
Old 08-03-2013, 19:55   #26

True...

Now I have no experience with pressure cooker loaves, although we did obtain a boat-sized (5 L) pressure cooker to experiment with before the move aboard. But I have heard that the solution to dull, nasty crusted bread is to remove it from the pressure cooler a half-hour before its done, and to bake it at 425F in the oven for crust-browning purposes.

I do roast meats this way with excellent results: A four pound roast would normally take 2 hours at 350F. I do 1.5 hours at 350F covered, and half a hour at 425F uncovered. Adjust for weight, and you get a medium-well roast with a nicely browned exterior.

I suspect the "remove from pressure cooker and bake" thing works as well, although you'd want to do it at the coolest part of the night in the tropics.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 08-03-2013, 20:04   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
True...

Now I have no experience with pressure cooker loaves, although we did obtain a boat-sized (5 L) pressure cooker to experiment with before the move aboard. But I have heard that the solution to dull, nasty crusted bread is to remove it from the pressure cooler a half-hour before its done, and to bake it at 425F in the oven for crust-browning purposes.

I do roast meats this way with excellent results: A four pound roast would normally take 2 hours at 350F. I do 1.5 hours at 350F covered, and half a hour at 425F uncovered. Adjust for weight, and you get a medium-well roast with a nicely browned exterior.

I suspect the "remove from pressure cooker and bake" thing works as well, although you'd want to do it at the coolest part of the night in the tropics.
Actually, you don't want to do that at all. The heat is oppressive any time of day or night and also you use way too much propane that way. Best thing you can do is bring a Zojirushi bread maker; you can't bake bread at lower energy cost than that and negligible heat output.

We can only use the oven when we run the A/C, which kind of means we're spoiled
Old 09-03-2013, 07:57   #28

I wonder if you could "finish" bread in a rail barbeque with a diffuser plate of some description?

I agree a blazing Force 10 does nothing for the cabin temperatures...unless you are in higher latitudes.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:34   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I wonder if you could "finish" bread in a rail barbeque with a diffuser plate of some description?

I agree a blazing Force 10 does nothing for the cabin temperatures...unless you are in higher latitudes.
Sure you can. But bread from pressurecookers is to survive, not to enjoy like artisan bread that has been posted in this thread The difference is like night and day, if one likes good food. I know many sailors who swear by eating cold beans straight from the can... best food on the planet according to them, so taste is a personal thing.

Old 09-03-2013, 14:48   #30

That still doesn't explain why Budweiser is popular, or...and this is a pet peeve...why there's a new six-percent beer out called "Bud Light Premium".

Which is like "Size Zero Jumbo Shrimp", in my view.

"Tastes like wet Rice Krispies and get you drunk twice as fast"?