Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 16:53   #31

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Jedi's Rye Bread

[QUOTE... I know many sailors who swear by eating cold beans straight from the can... best food on the planet according to them, so taste is a personal thing.[/QUOTE]

Not just taste. As a non-cook, I have found it helpful to think of food as just fuel. This allows me to eat very simply, mostly raw veggies lately. Little prep and cleanup. Once you're full, you're full.

I love reading about the eating "good life", however. These bread recipes are great to read. About once a month I pop for a deli sourdough brick and butta. I will then eat it non-stop for a couple days til it's a fond memory.

Alchemy is eating his heart out but I'm skinnier than he is.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 17:07   #32

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Re: Jedi's Rye Bread

So Jedi, I make the Sourdough bread by hand...no room for a breadmaker aboard...do you think I could get away with just letting rise twice and punching it down once in between? Excuse me if someone already asked this...I see your bread maker is a three rise cycle...
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 17:48   #33

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
[QUOTE... I know many sailors who swear by eating cold beans straight from the can... best food on the planet according to them, so taste is a personal thing.
Not just taste. As a non-cook, I have found it helpful to think of food as just fuel. This allows me to eat very simply, mostly raw veggies lately. Little prep and cleanup. Once you're full, you're full.

I love reading about the eating "good life", however. These bread recipes are great to read. About once a month I pop for a deli sourdough brick and butta. I will then eat it non-stop for a couple days til it's a fond memory.

Alchemy is eating his heart out but I'm skinnier than he is.[/QUOTE]

Not for long...
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:00   #34

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Actually, you don't want to do that at all. The heat is oppressive any time of day or night and also you use way too much propane that way. Best thing you can do is bring a Zojirushi bread maker; you can't bake bread at lower energy cost than that and negligible heat output.

We can only use the oven when we run the A/C, which kind of means we're spoiled
Jedi, this is after you answer High Heels question which is my preferred (simpler) way... then...

I did a search on the Zojirushi but not much came up. For having it aboard, do you need a hefty inverter, lots of power, etc? What are the minimum requirements? Do you have a link for the pros and cons for a 12 volts household, errr, boathold?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:28   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
So Jedi, I make the Sourdough bread by hand...no room for a breadmaker aboard...do you think I could get away with just letting rise twice and punching it down once in between? Excuse me if someone already asked this...I see your bread maker is a three rise cycle...
When hand kneading, you can also punch it down two times

I have found that climate, the brand of flour or beer or yeast all make a difference so you will need to experiment anyway. I'm sure two rises is okay.

p.s. you can put the breadmaker in your oven.... Really, even if you use it just for kneading and rising it is worth it!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:38   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post

Jedi, this is after you answer High Heels question which is my preferred (simpler) way... then...

I did a search on the Zojirushi but not much came up. For having it aboard, do you need a hefty inverter, lots of power, etc? What are the minimum requirements? Do you have a link for the pros and cons for a 12 volts household, errr, boathold?
Here they are: http://www.zojirushi.com/user/script..._category_id=3

I have two, one on the boat and another one in our motorhome and both are the big 2lb loaf versions. I simply buy them on Amazon. One is rather old and I bought a new pan for it, also on Amazon. I hear good reports about the smaller version too but I don't like the small loafs and the kneading with two paddles of the bigger machine is much better I think.

The nice thing with these is that their program timer can survive short power outages like up to 4-5 minutes. This means you can switch to genset or inverter without loosing the timer program which would mean emptying the pan and starting over...

The bread maker uses very little energy... in another thread somebody had measured it but I forgot, it was very little. It uses no energy during rising etc. and the heating element is cycled on-off during baking so that average is low. Maximum is 600W for 10 seconds or so, meaning you need a 900-1,000W inverter or bigger.

Old 09-03-2013, 19:03   #37

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have used our zojirushi on both a 1000 and a 1500 inverter and never bled our battery banks down enough to even measure! they are very power stingy!! Best money we ever spent!! Connies been makeing and giving bread away for years! and not haveing the heat from the stoves oven has been a real blessing! she was getting to not bake when the heat was to high !! And we do love our bread and Sandwitchs!! YUMM nothing like a hunk of fresh bread butter and cheese!! with the libation of your choice!(coffee for me lol) Think of the bread maker as a space saver, a power saver,and a heat saver to!! just our 2 cents
Old 09-03-2013, 19:56   #38

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Jedi, Bobconnie - thanks for the power tips. You guys are convincing me. I am in the early stages of buying one to use onshore first then take it onboard. Now, I am in the whole wheat flour, buckwheat, sourdough, etc, I hope it can it handle these.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 20:03   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Jedi, Bobconnie - thanks for the power tips. You guys are convincing me. I am in the early stages of buying one to use onshore first then take it onboard. Now, I am in the whole wheat flour, buckwheat, sourdough, etc, I hope it can it handle these.
The funny thing is that I wasn't having much success with my bread making at first. I blamed it on everything of-course and settled on exactly this and that brand and slowly got to the artisan class of breads. But now, I can throw in any brand, even with bleached all-purpose flour I get good bread so I guess it is just practice and a couple of key techniques that must be mastered. The Zojirushi does the best kneading and rising in a protected environment which takes care of a lot of variables. It also controls the temperature of ingredients before and during kneading and rising which is important as well. I read many reviews from professional bakers that use the Zojirushi just for kneading dough at home, claiming equal performance than their pro-gear at the bakery, just lower quantity of dough.
Old 12-03-2013, 16:24   #40

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch

Thanks for getting back re: the punch down and rise...I will try it once we get moving again and let you know how it goes...love making bread! and eating it occasionally too!
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 11:18   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

For any bread making enthusiasts, here is the recipe for my Parmesan Herb Bread. It is worth making just for the heavenly smell on board while it is baking . We had leftover bread tonight with smoked salmon, thick creamy Greek yoghurt, capers, beetroot chutney (I have a good recipe if anyone loves beetroot) and dill.

1¾ cups warm water (1 cup = 250 ml capacity)
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp (1 x 7g sachet) dried yeast

2 cups strong white flour
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt

200g freshly shaved parmesan
1 cup finely chopped parsley
2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp dry thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp coarsely ground pepper

Mix water, sugar and yeast and let stand 10 min until frothy
Sift flour and salt together, returning husks to the mix
Add rest of the ingredients
Stir in yeast mixture (it should be slightly sticky still at this stage)
Knead 5-10 min
Leave to rise in a covered bowl until at least doubled in size. Unless room temperature is in the high 20's (80+ F), place the bowl on a hot water bottle.
Punch down.
Tip into an oiled silicone round cake pan.
Dust thickly with flour
Leave until doubled in size again.
Slash top with scissors
Bake in a hot oven about 45 minutes.

Try to let it cool a bit before eating .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	57016  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 18:53   #42

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Okay, I can do this one from memory:

1 can (standard US size, 355ml) of pilsener, we use Presidente beer
2 Tbsp olive oil
4 cups white bread flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp instant yeast

We throw all that in our Zojirushi for the standard dough program, which is a three rise, double punch-down dough program.

After that, we dump it on a floured work surface, and cut it in two halves for two small breads or.. a pizza tonight and the other half into the fridge for a bread tomorrow

For pizza, just roll half the dough out and cover a baking pan with it, followed by whatever you like but we always first brush some olive oil on and follow up with tomato sauce etc. We bake at 180 deg. Celcius for 30 minutes.

For bread, take half of the dough and form a "boule" (like the previous picture of the rye bread). Take a silicone matt, put it in an oven pan, flour it a bit and put the boule on that. put this in a cold oven for an hour. Next, cut the top so that it doesn't explode while baking and while leaving the bread in the oven (no preheat), ignite it and set for 200 deg. Celcius or so. With our Force10 oven, it is perfect after 35 minutes. Every oven is different so experiment a bit but starting with a cold oven gives it plenty time for it's last rise or what we call the "oven spring"

This is the bread that good Italian restaurants serve free with your drinks before you get your food
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!!!

I made a loaf today, it was all the hubby and I could do to not eat the whole thing in one sitting!

As the hubby said "Apparently everything is better with beer".

Great recipe, thank you.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 07:39   #43
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Nick,

My wife has made (non-beer) rye bread in her Zoojirushi, but it comes out extremely dense. I don't expect rye bread to be light and fluffy, by any means, but I would prefer a loaf that wouldn't break my toe if I happened to drop it.

How would you describe the texture of your recipe?

Thanks, Hud

Quote:
This recipe is for a 2 pound loaf. I make it in a Zojirushi bread maker.

Take the pan and empty 1 can of Guiness beer in it Now we're talking.

Add 3 cups of white bread flour (or all-purpose) and 1.5 cups of rye flour. I sometimes get my hands on some very course rye flour (for German pumpernickel and use 0.5 cup of that with 1 cup of regular rye).

Add: 1.5 Tbs olive oil, 3 Tbs sugar, 2 tsp (course) salt, 1 tsp caraway seeds, 1 tsp instant coffe, 1 tsp cocoa (real, not sweetened or fantasy) and 1.5 tsp instant yeast (keep yeast clear of salt).

Use whole-wheat program.

Best with salami, aged cheese, fried eggs, peanut butter etc.

ciao! Nick.
Old 19-07-2013, 07:48   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Nick,

My wife has made (non-beer) rye bread in her Zoojirushi, but it comes out extremely dense. I don't expect rye bread to be light and fluffy, by any means, but I would prefer a loaf that wouldn't break my toe if I happened to drop it.

How would you describe the texture of your recipe?

Thanks, Hud
Hud, A followed Nick's recipe almost exactly (I reduced the sugar) and the loaf was fairly dense, but very soft and it did not dry out on day 2 or 3 as white bread does.
Definitely not a toe breaking recipe!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2013, 07:53   #45

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Jedi's Rye Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hud, A followed Nick's recipe almost exactly (I reduced the sugar) and the loaf was fairly dense, but very soft and it did not dry out on day 2 or 3 as white bread does.
Definitely not a toe breaking recipe!
So definitely NOT a wry rye.

Jes' sayin'
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote