Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 11:27   #121
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
When Im going deliveries its a job, and hence dry boat. When Im leisure cruising I am comfortable with the crew having wine at dinner. Beyind that I draw the line.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:06   #122

Boat: In my dreams
I was thinking of a scenario. Where you take the boat out for the weekend. Anchor it in a nice cove. Enjoy your beers, go swimming etc. Beer bottles go in the trash. Sail back next day sober. What happens if you get one of those random inspections?
Lexam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:14   #123

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexam
I was thinking of a scenario. Where you take the boat out for the weekend. Anchor it in a nice cove. Enjoy your beers, go swimming etc. Beer bottles go in the trash. Sail back next day sober. What happens if you get one of those random inspections?
Nothing happens.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:19   #124
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
why would an inspection for flares and other safety equipment result in anything for used bottles of beer?? hasnt been an issue prior to this
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:19   #125

Boat: Gulfstar, trawler, 43, Cielo e Mar
Not sure how this works on boats now! but drive with an opened bottle of beer etc in your car and you can be in trouble at least in some states,, does it apply to boats also?
Cielo e Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:33   #126
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cielo e Mar View Post
Not sure how this works on boats now! but drive with an opened bottle of beer etc in your car and you can be in trouble at least in some states,, does it apply to boats also?
only in san diego bay and in dade county. joke. only wherein the cops are seeking more money in coffers. i have only seen the effect of cops vs rowboats--NEVER SEEN SNOTTY Y0TTIES GET PULLED OVER FOR RECKLESS BOATING OR BOATING UNDER INFLUENCE. ONLY ROWBOATS ON WAY HOME TO MOORINGS.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:37   #127

Boat: Beneteau 393
No states I know of have open container laws for boats. Most (all?) have the .08 BAC max level or you will be charged with BUI/DUI.

Guests on board can have a good time, but someone's gotta be the DD.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:40   #128

Boat: Gulfstar, trawler, 43, Cielo e Mar
Found this on life tips:
Open Container Laws on the Water

Some estimate the accident rate for combining alcohol and boats at a whopping 50 percent of all aquatic mishaps, so it's no surprise there are more aggressive procedures to curb boating under the influence. The most confusing aspect of many(including California boating under the influence laws) is that unlike automobiles, open containers of alcohol are permitted on boats in most cases. This gives the false impression that boating while intoxicated is either ignored or under-enforced.

The truth is, open containers may be legal, but if the boat operator's blood alcohol content exceeds .08, it is a violation of the and punishable by fines, jail time, and suspension of permits or licenses. If you have the responsibility of operating the boat and steering it around the waterway, you bear the burden of remaining within the legal limits for alcohol consumption.
Cielo e Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:52   #129
cruiser

this can of worms

these tickets for open liquor vary from county/state/province/country,,aexample,,fort lauderdale{florida}was legal fo driver to possess open beer/wine cooler but not be impaired while operating motor vessel,,if boat/rv anchored parked you can legally get as loaded as you want,,was in california in 98 and laws were basically same except no open liquor allowed in auto but allowed on boat providing skip[per not impaired,,but was told otherwise by guy in marina? later,,cleveland{yea i know u hate cleveland} allows no open on powerboat but allowed on sail?,,anyways far as i know in canada a boat at anchor or tied to mooring /dock is considered safe to consume and have open containers,,it is when you are under way that most jurisdictions are getting tough on,,agreed it would be nasty to search through the trash/rcycle bag of a yacht that has just entered the marina and i doubt it happening unless the captain is stumbling and slurring ,,what they look for is people holding beer cans before you are tied-up/moored,,this has been my obsevations,,ticket used to be 56$ now is 250$,,only got warned in florida by officer ,,best to pour beer in cup anyways,,seen advertisement on tv with officer seizing powerboat,,last ticket i got was 96 in british columbia while salmon fishing in rental powerboat,,they just zoomed up on us {expensive beers that day},,have fun out there
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 12:53   #130

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Pullord,
So does that mean nothing on board? I have heard of instances where the boat's master gets in hot water if at anchor but not if at the dock. This may have been Australia but the notable point was that the guy left his boat on the hook, went to have dinner & drinks, came back to the boat and was arrested. We plan to do the North Channel this summer and will certainly plan to have a modest supply of ethanol on board but no intension of getting nuts. I certainly don't want to litter the anchorage with empties that might otherwise be counted if our trash is inspected. I'd have to lie and say we found the empties on the beach and did a clean-up. (do that anyway).
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 15:12   #131
cruiser

LEXAM/NICHOLSON joke is ausi told me you aint driving right unless you got cold beer ,,however ,,my mate who was in 1000 islands area/rideau canal {""ottawa} area told me these laaws arte enforced rehgardless of yacht size,,,however i doubt anyone is going to check your garbage /recycle bag of cans unless the captain is slurring and staggering around ,,for fcking real,,igot tickets in casnada,as well as broward county /{fort lauderdale} but never elsewhere in carribbean or south pacific so relaX,,.GOT TO GET TO DINNER NOW SO BY ,,cheers
Old 23-01-2011, 16:17   #132
cruiser

y b 4 ub ,,, u e z ee ,.edone deak;l

by by ,,uez
Old 23-01-2011, 16:22   #133

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord View Post
by by ,,uez

Scotch?
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 21:00   #134

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexam View Post
If the random inspection happens while you are anchored, it could go badly, because you are still supposed to keep an anchor watch and so on.

I mean, if you get drunk in a parked car, the "but I'm not driving!" is a bit lame, because it's about three seconds of intent to put yourself in drunken motion.

Frankly, boating has severely cut into my drinking, because I feel responsible to have my wits about me. The only time I have a couple of pops is at dock, after dinner, when I'm sleeping with five 3/4" lines holding me to the dock.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 22:27   #135
cruiser

so if you get boarded for suspicion of dui, then how do they perform a sobriety test??

walk on this line 8 steps and turn and come back.???
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote