Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2009, 15:52   #1

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Insulated Cups?

This may sound trivial, however, with ice at a premium aboard our boat, what is the best insulated glass? We need a glass or tumbler that will hold the ice, not melt as soon as we go topsidel into the heat. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 16:01   #2

Yea, they are nice, not sure it matters too much which ones. Mine are plastic with little embossed fish between the two layers. Insulated are also nice as they dont drip condensate all over....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 19:51   #3

Boat: islandpacket
I bought some vacuum stainless steel ones. Coffee hot for hours and cold for longer. I found the coffee flavor hangs around so I got 4 , two red ones for coffee and two silver ones for cold stuff. I found them at Costco. Contigo autoseal brand. sealed top has a little button you push to drink. Wont spill if tipped over. about $8 each. Very happy
Old 30-05-2009, 04:36   #4

Thanks for the information, Costco is not far from here, guess I will give that a try. I will you know how they work.
Old 31-05-2009, 20:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Turvis Tumblers. Lifetime warranty. About every 2 years or so, my wife boxes ours up (along with the ones from friends) and sends them back. 2 weeks later, all brand new cups. We have about 30 of them, at least.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Turvis Tumblers. Lifetime warranty. About every 2 years or so, my wife boxes ours up (along with the ones from friends) and sends them back. 2 weeks later, all brand new cups.
Do you find that the Tervis Tumbler's Official Site: Insulated Drinkware Guaranteed for Life; Tervis tumblers get all scratched up or clouded, and require replacement - or do you just send them back because you can?
Does anyone know what “high-quality polymer” they’re made from?
One big advantage these plastic tumbles have over stainless, is that they float.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No, our problem with the tumblers is the tumbling! They get dropped all the time. When they are full and hit the tile floor, they tend to crack. When they do, or when the seal breaks on them, they get moisture inside the insulated section. We also have friends who put theirs in the dishwasher (we don't). And yes, they float!

By the way, we use these EVERY DAY, ALL DAY LONG. The biggest advantage is that they don't sweat - no rings to worry about, and no coasters EVER needed.
Old 01-06-2009, 16:01   #8

Boat: 1999 Hunter 450
After checking on the Tervis site, I now realize that this is what we use. Ours have got four different colored sailboats in between the layers. These glasses are the best. If you're mixing cocktails, there's lines to measure off your booze. The ice will last through the third refill!
I got my four-pack on sale at West Marine. Don't recall the price...
allisa9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40   #9

We looked at the ones WM had, they were 4 tumblers for $44, I guess if they will last through 3 drinks they are worth it in ice savings alone. We just thought $44, yikes.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:21   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Only Tervis has the lifetime warranty. They always pay off too. You send them a busted one and they send you a new one. The brand name is molded into the bottom. The imitations are less money but they don't have any warranty. We have had good luck with them but the Tervis brand is a bit better. The money saved in ice not wasted is easily far more money saved than the perceived high cost of the product. Making and buying ice is expensive if you need to do it all the time.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:32   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Last night my wife and I were talking about this thread. We have gotten so used to using Turvis Tumblers over the years, that, except for wine and the occasional nice dinner, we really NEVER use anything BUT the Turvis Tumblers. There are only 2 of us here now, and on the average evening, there are 6 or 8 tumblers to wash! What I'm saying is that they get a LOT of use - both home and on the boat.

The only real negatives is that they take up a lot of room (we use the ones with the handle) and they shouldn't be put in the dishwasher.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:19   #12

Boat: 1999 Hunter 450
Yep, $44 is a bunch of cash.
I did just find them on Boater's World (4-pack, tall tumblers) for $39.99 w/free shipping and taxes on orders over $100.
Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure it was BW where I got mine... BW closed all their stores in southern NV and I got them on sale. I still thought they were a bit pricey at the time, but I knew in the long run it would be worth it.
Our boat is in in San Diego and the condensation makes a mess.
allisa9 is offline   Reply With Quote