Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 13:49   #136

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37
Re: If You Don't Drink the Water?

Dude, Therapy, the FACTS aren't pretty on these subjects. Our experience, which is subjective, tends to demonstrate that we're mostly fine (because the human body is a miraculous self-healer), but that's a different type of analysis.
thompsonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 13:50   #137

I have been drinking my tap water for years, It has never hurt me..... gotta go , off for my chemo treatment
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 13:51   #138

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Come and visit NZ you guys. We live aboard, fill up with tap water once a week or ten days and don't filter. Makes life simple. (We'd be a bit more cautious in the tropics.)
Marinas with good water, lots of scenic anchorages.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 13:52   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Actual spring?

There are multiple "actual springs" that are contaminated with heavy metals and other contaminants naturally.

Water Science for Schools: Groundwater quality
Which I articulated in my response. Just sayin'. I've spent some time on this stuff. I've got a mouth full of mercury amalgam fillings; that's toxic crap. I seem to do okay, but that doesn't prove their safe. Just as an example of something that's banned other places but considered safe and acceptable on the US.

Are you really motion30? 'Cause I highly recommend it
Old 03-11-2012, 13:57   #140

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland View Post
It's a question of what I can control, really. Water filtration is relatively easy and possible anywhere in the world if I have the equipment. I don't tolerate grains or most legumes or pasteurized dairy very well, and I'm sensitive to CAFO meat and gmo foods. However, I also can't starve, so there are times when I have to compromise. Therefore, I control what I can. Certainly, some people have bigfer fish to fry. I think focusing on this stuff can be really depressing and debilitating, too. It's important not to let that happen. As i said earlier, it all comes down to quality of life. I agree with the folks who say that the benefits of sailing often put one ahead of the curve on enough fronts to compensate for the downside.

It does seem you need to be more careful than most of the population.

Maybe that suggested system by Mark Johnson will help you.
Old 03-11-2012, 14:07   #141

Therapy, I think that's true, and I'm going to check it out. Even in the mainstream med literature, it says that the deleterious effects of chemo can last for years. If I could have figured out how to avoid it, I would have done so, but I was fading fast and I got scared. I know now, from first hand experience, that what we *think* we will do and what we *actually* are willing to do in a crisis can differ.
Old 03-11-2012, 15:37   #142

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
I know now, from first hand experience, that what we *think* we will do and what we *actually* are willing to do in a crisis can differ.
Oh yea.

I have been in the medical field long enough to know that when it really, really hurts (by whatever definition) folks say "do anything and everything" while before the crisis they may say other things. Myself included - maybe.
Old 03-11-2012, 17:43   #143
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
I can't remember if they told me that. I know I was supposed to wear a mask and gloves everywhere, but I was regularly amazed by what the hospital dietitians didn't know about food and immune system issues. I remember they didn't want me to eat anything raw.

Well I wasn't nearly as compromised as you. I was on chemo, so the possibility was always there that my numbers could plummet. Even though they didn't, I did get sick while on chemo -- bronchitis -- and my temp skyrocketed from normal to 103.5 within five hours. They gave it five hours to come down or it was the hospital, and fortunately the first antibiotic got things under control. Yes, they did say no raw vegetables -- including salads.

My OBGYN basically said the same thing on the cruise -- bottled water or drinks only -- in Canada. THAT really surprised me.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 17:58   #144

I am startled by that, too. I've never heard that before.

I was very lucky, really. Typically someone with my diagnosis would find out by ending up in the er with an unresponsive infection, but I thought I had mono and ordered some blood work. A savvy tech caught the atypical presentation and called in the middle of the night. Still took me a week to check myself in, though, I like to think things over...
Old 03-11-2012, 18:03   #145
cruiser

Quote:
I am startled by that, too. I've never heard that before.

I was very lucky, really. Typically someone with my diagnosis would find out by ending up in the er with an unresponsive infection, but I thought I had mono and ordered some blood work. A savvy tech caught the atypical presentation and called in the middle of the night. Still took me a week to check myself in, though, I like to think things over...

Of course. You're male!
Old 03-11-2012, 18:12   #146
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Move to San Francisco... muni water here is cleaner than you can buy in a plastic bottle, or find in most of the taps around the world...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 18:13   #147

Actually, I'm female! I had both my kids at home, and my second was only 8months old whem I was diagnosed. I could handle anything, right? My baby was still exclusively breastfed. The night I put myself in the hospital was the first night either of my kids spent in a different bed, the first time my lo had a bottle (somehow I had lined up some donor milk, but my husband ran out in the middle of the night and couldn't get more until morning. I was focused on trying not to die or succumb to the chemo; I can't imagine what they went through.

As soon as I was done my treatments, and in remission, we bought a G-D boat! Life, it turns out, actually IS short. There are more than a few here, right on this thread, who know it better than I.
Old 03-11-2012, 18:24   #148

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Most bottled water is tap water. Sometimes filtered sometimes not.(...)
Where we are now, one has a choice. But of course things vary from place to place.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 18:28   #149
cruiser

Quote:
Actually, I'm female! I had both my kids at home, and my second was only 8months old whem I was diagnosed. I could handle anything, right? My baby was still exclusively breastfed. The night I put myself in the hospital was the first night either of my kids spent in a different bed, the first time my lo had a bottle (somehow I had lined up some donor milk, but my husband ran out in the middle of the night and couldn't get more until morning. I was focused on trying not to die or succumb to the chemo; I can't imagine what they went through.

As soon as I was done my treatments, and in remission, we bought a G-D boat! Life, it turns out, actually IS short. There are more than a few here, right on this thread, who know it better than I.

You're absolutely right. I bought a boat pretty soon after I finished chemo. I really loved that little boat and I was sitting on it one day thinking "I wish I could just live on her." Then I did a reality check. TINY cabin (25', 8' wide); no water tank; no shore power; porta-potty; no galley. It was ... one step up from a cardboard box.

I wasn't about to wait for another refrigerator to fall on me. I bought a bigger boat and I will have lived on her two years Nov. 15. I'm having a party.
Old 03-11-2012, 18:30   #150

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Isn't the water from the dock tap water?
I will try to explain my somewhat less than plain English original statement:

We do not drink raw (=not boiled) tap water ever. We buy bottled water for drinking. We try to buy bottled spring water, if available and if within our budget.

We use tap, dock, rain tank, water, boiled, for tea, coffee and all cooking.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water