Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-11-2012, 19:25   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: If You Don't Drink the Water?

here, dock water is not as good as tap water....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 21:02   #62

Boat: laser 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Most bottled water is tap water. Sometimes filtered sometimes not.

"
Laboratory tests conducted for EWG at one of the country’s leading water quality laboratories found that 10 popular brands of bottled water, purchased from grocery stores and other retailers in 9 states and the District of Columbia, contained 38 chemical pollutants altogether, with an average of 8 contaminants in each brand. More than one-third of the chemicals found are not regulated in bottled water. In the Sam's Choice and Acadia brands levels of some chemicals exceeded legal limits in California as well as industry-sponsored voluntary safety standards. Four brands were also contaminated with bacteria.

WASHINGTON - August 7 - An Environmental Working Group (EWG) investigation of almost 200 popular bottled water brands found less than 2 percent disclose the water’s source, how the water has been purified and what chemical pollutants each bottle of water may contain. Just 2 of the 188 individual brands EWG analyzed disclosed those three basic facts about their water.
Full report found here: http://www.ewg.org/health/report/bottledwater-scorecard "
Plus if it has sat around for months in the sun or a warm environment it will have likely leached either BPA or some estogen similar substance into the water / soft drink, this goes for both plastic bottles and cans which are lined in a thin layer of plastic.

We are pretty lucky in Australia with the tap water, i feel safer emptying the product out and filling it back up from the tap outside the supermarket...

Old 01-11-2012, 21:26   #63

Boat: csy 37

thompsonsailing - if you're truly concerned about the water you drink, distillation is the best method of purifying water. in the medical field we used what is called 'cp water' which was produced by distillation only.

there are a number of home distillation devices available which can run off your inverter or generator. the volume of water produced isn't that great with these home units but certainly enough for daily drinking/cooking. good for your batteries too. you can also build your own - there's information available on the internet.

here's a small home distiller -

Nautilus Countertop Distiller - FreshWaterSystems.com
Old 01-11-2012, 22:20   #64

Boat: grampian 26

I find the best way to treat suspect water is to add yeast, hops and malt barley and allow it to ferment then bottle it. I realise this is no solution but after a few bottles it becomes less important.
I think it was in grade 8 science class they told us water is a universal solvent so depending where it comes from will determine what contaminates it contains.
I am fortunate in that I have access to a natural spring that I would choose over any municipal water or bottled water no matter how well treated.
Old 01-11-2012, 23:20   #65

Boat: csy 37

and here's another distiller that won't consume amps - uses your stovetop burner instead.

Waterwise Home Water Distillers and Air Purifiers
Old 02-11-2012, 00:23   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

I have used for many years "RV" drinking water garden hose - white - along with a activated charcoal home filter with fittings so it can be hooked up to the garden hose for filling the water tanks. Then a "bar tap" and refrigerator water filter hooked into the fresh water system at the galley sink for drinking and cooking water.

Activated charcoal filter cartridges come in a huge number of variations and it is getting complicated to pick one that is effective "enough" without being too expensive. So I pick one "in the middle."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6d2f788b-fcb0-472f-897b-6c2aeeb2abe9_300.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	49139  
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2012, 03:30   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Most bottled water is tap water. Sometimes filtered sometimes not.
That's only true for some developed countries and some bottled water...
Old 02-11-2012, 03:36   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Here's what we use:

Seagull IV X-1F Purifier with Faucet - Water Purifiers and Water Micro Filters - General Ecology

and here's what it removes from water:

http://generalecology.com/pdf/pr/SGIVpds.pdf
Old 02-11-2012, 04:27   #69

Boat: Chris-Craft 38

In the galley I have a large in-line carbon filter with a dedicated sensor faucet
Unfortunately "Smokey" likes drinking this fresh water rather than from a bowl
She is a green cat and into water conservation and always licks the screen to get the last drop after the tap has cycled
I don't know where her tongue has been and don't want a fight on my hands so I am left to use a Brita pitcher safely locked in the refrigerator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	49144  
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18   #70

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
I find the best way to treat suspect water is to add yeast, hops and malt barley and allow it to ferment then bottle it. I realise this is no solution but after a few bottles it becomes less important.
I think it was in grade 8 science class they told us water is a universal solvent so depending where it comes from will determine what contaminates it contains.
I am fortunate in that I have access to a natural spring that I would choose over any municipal water or bottled water no matter how well treated.
I wish we had a spring! Or beer...
Old 02-11-2012, 08:36   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Here are some interesting links to Activated Charcoal and its uses and types.

For University of Nebraska: http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live...uild/g1489.pdf

To purchase different types of AC:
Buy Activated Charcoal.com: 150+ activated charcoal products
Katadyn Activated Charcoal Filters, Water Bottles, Granular Activated Charcoal for Water Purification

No doubt the previously mentioned "SeaGull" filters are good - but the prices are really awful high - US$550.00 plus US$95 for a replacement cartridge. Using "Home Depot" filter containers and plumbing fittings you can probably have the same level of effective filtration for a fraction of the cost. And if you are really picky - here is a link to a "laboratory grade" AC filter that can be put into standard canisters:
Lab Grade Activated Carbon Filter - CF10L1 - Great Prices
Old 02-11-2012, 09:55   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray-Cat View Post
In the galley I have a large in-line carbon filter with a dedicated sensor faucet
Unfortunately "Smokey" likes drinking this fresh water rather than from a bowl
She is a green cat and into water conservation and always licks the screen to get the last drop after the tap has cycled
I don't know where her tongue has been and don't want a fight on my hands so I am left to use a Brita pitcher safely locked in the refrigerator

We have two sinks in the master bath. One is strictly for cat water, but neither cat will drink from it unless they SEE me drain and refill it.
It could have been drained and refilled a couple of minutes ago for the other cat, but no matter, it's gotta be NEW for the next cat.

Yeah, I know. Thread drift.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:07   #73
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
We have two sinks in the master bath. One is strictly for cat water, but neither cat will drink from it unless they SEE me drain and refill it.
It could have been drained and refilled a couple of minutes ago for the other cat, but no matter, it's gotta be NEW for the next cat.

Yeah, I know. Thread drift.
And if you don't what happens in a couple of days? Do the cats win the battle or do you?

My cats every once in a while try to convince me that THEY are in charge. Doesn't work out for them.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:14   #74

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Great answer MIMSY
Old 02-11-2012, 10:42   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
That's only true for some developed countries and some bottled water...
No doubt about it, unfortunately we dont know which ones! and if you have ever left you bottled water in the car for even a day or so... wow... can you ever taste the plastic!
As a side note, bottled water seems to be running about the price of gasoline! ... go figure... Also, one seller who sells "spring water" was actually selling filtered tap water... but the city source was a spring so they weren't lying!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: