Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 13:39   #46

Boat: 1939 Crocker 37
Re: If you don't drink the water?

Katiusha, it's true, and it IS something I think about. As I said earlier, minimizing and mitigating is the name of the game for me, I have no interest in trying to eliminate my exposure. One of the things I like about my old, old boat is that I figure a lot of the off-gassing is done!

Worry, anxiety and fear are terrible motivators and life-shorteners. While I can take a ribbing, I think it is important to distinguish between real paranoia and educated decision-making. I know folks who are terribly paranoid about the imminent collapse of civilization and the hideous mutation of the food supply, and down that road madness lies.
thompsonisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 13:48   #47
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

My gut tells me skin cancer is the far greater risk to sailors, there aren't enough bottles of sunscreen, ugly hats, and biminis to get around that, and so we accept that being active counts for enough. There is also sepsis, parasites, and infectious organisms.

Many good filtration ideas have been posted, because they are a good idea in many places. Add several in series to be sure. Done.
Old 01-11-2012, 13:53   #48

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonisland View Post
Britta doesn't manage everything I want to treat, unfortunately. The garden hose thing is a problem-they are way, way bad for drinking water. Berkey will take out flouride, which is important to me. No cheap filter does that.
There are hoses with garden-style threads that are rated for potable water use. Not sure if these would meet your requirements or not.

For example:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn...FcuZ4AodlFIADw

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 14:00   #49

Hey....I'm not all for living forever.......

I state information I know and try to avoid things that I feel are suspect. I'm not paranoid........

I however do not want to die suffering from cancer.

I would rather die quiet and peacefully like my grandfather, and not screaming in horror like his passengers.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 14:06   #50

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Hmm. My grandparents both drank municipal water pretty much all their lives and lived into their 90s. I guess it just depends on which municipality. I for one have better things to concern myself with like not buying bottled water which is way worse for all us since all that plastic has to be made.

I would think that RO would be your best bet.

If you need minerals try adding trace mineral drops to your RO or filtered water. Of course you will want the minerals in a nice glass bottle.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 14:47   #51

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: If You Don't Drink the Water?

We never ever drink tap water.

We buy bottled water for drinking and we drink tea and coffee from the water we have from the dock.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 14:56   #52

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
I have a filter I attach to the marina hose before it goes into my tanks then an under sink charcoal filter that all water goes thru before it goes to the sinks. If I'm real nervous about the water chlorine shocks it. It's not that hard folks

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 14:57   #53

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I drink any old water that comes along, but on the boat I usually keep a separate drinking water supply in plastic jugs and containers due to taste considerations more than anything else--most tank water tastes terrible. Though I will say that when I had monel tanks on an old wooden boat the water was good for drinking. My personal take is that on a boat you are exposed to so many toxic substances that water quality is way down the list of things I worry about. Just think of all the nasty substances we deal with every day: painting, bottom painting, epoxy, fiberglass, glues, sealants, scrubbing the boat while it is in the water, transferring fuel all the time, exhaust fumes, sunlight, chemicals we slather all over to prevent sunburn, etc. etc. For wooden boat enthusiasts I have read that the fumes and dust from sawing and sanding wood are quite bad for you, not to mention traditional coatings like varnish, oil-based paints, lead, oils, etc. that permeate the air on any wooden boat--which is one reason they smell so nice! One thing in life is certain--death.
Old 01-11-2012, 15:00   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

capttman--i am working on the under counter filter for after the filtered filling..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 15:03   #55

The respiratory risks to woodworking are poorly acknowledged by lots, I agree. Epecially when working with waxy, resinous exotics, lots of air and respirators are key. Fortunately, like water filtration, this technology is relatively cheap and readily available.
Old 01-11-2012, 15:08   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

We buy bottled water for drinking and we drink tea and coffee from the water we have from the dock.

b.
Most bottled water is tap water. Sometimes filtered sometimes not.

"
Laboratory tests conducted for EWG at one of the country’s leading water quality laboratories found that 10 popular brands of bottled water, purchased from grocery stores and other retailers in 9 states and the District of Columbia, contained 38 chemical pollutants altogether, with an average of 8 contaminants in each brand. More than one-third of the chemicals found are not regulated in bottled water. In the Sam's Choice and Acadia brands levels of some chemicals exceeded legal limits in California as well as industry-sponsored voluntary safety standards. Four brands were also contaminated with bacteria.

WASHINGTON - August 7 - An Environmental Working Group (EWG) investigation of almost 200 popular bottled water brands found less than 2 percent disclose the water’s source, how the water has been purified and what chemical pollutants each bottle of water may contain. Just 2 of the 188 individual brands EWG analyzed disclosed those three basic facts about their water.
Full report found here: http://www.ewg.org/health/report/bottledwater-scorecard "

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 15:09   #57
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mexico bottled water i s purified, a major ncessity
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 15:27   #58

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I also have a rain catchment system rigged up and I fill drinking supplies first, and then my tanks. Rain water might not be perfect, but in many cruising areas it is far better than the water you can get at any dock.
Old 01-11-2012, 15:50   #59

I hadn't given any thought to rainwater; I'm glad you guys are bringing it up.
Old 01-11-2012, 17:32   #60

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

b.
Isn't the water from the dock tap water?

Tags
water