Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-11-2012, 08:57   #166
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: If You Don't Drink the Water?

sterilization is not the goal---purifiction is the goal. we need certain bacteria and viruses in our lives, but there are certain other ones that exist in water systems we do not live with well, such as giardia.

degreed and licensed healthcare workers have a heavy chemstry background, and biology and pathology--a lso, within the facilities there are periodic testings of water and ice supplies in house--very very enlightening results...

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:39   #167

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Wikipedia "skin flora." There's up to 1000 specis of bacteria living in our skin and some massive battles for dominance. Using plenty of water for hygiene is important to keep numbers under control. So tap water in your tanks may be the practical way to go with a separate supply for drinking.

Old 07-11-2012, 14:44   #168
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

The big problem with the Mexico most people will go to is not that the water is unclean but that their water has different bugs in it than ours do. We aren't immune to their bugs, the Mexicans are. Many Mexicans who come to the US get Montezuma's revenge from our water according to my doctor.
That happened to us for the first couple of years going back and forth to the USA, and it happened BOTH coming AND going to the US and Mexico.
Each trip took us about 3 or 4 days to adapt.
Old 07-11-2012, 17:18   #169
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

when someone uses specific terminology, i expect that person to know what he or she is speaking of-- obviously, as you use specific term you do not mean to use, that is a bad expectation, however, is the way the language of the land in which i was raised is supposed to function.
monty's revenge is curable with flagyl, 250 mg orally 5 times daily. your food tastes like tin. montys is a parasite. yes there are other parasites in mexican water--as in other areas. even mexicans do not drink the tap water in mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 18:00   #170

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

The Berkey with PF-2s leaves aluminum in your water. Also, many report that the berkey increases the total dissolved solids in the water that it "purifies."

Reverse osmosis does not remove Fluoride. Fluoride atoms are smaller in radius than H2O molecules. Think about it. ~.6 for Fluorine atom. vs. ~1.4 for H2O

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Membrane pore sizes can vary from 0.1 nanometres (3.910−9 in) to 5,000 nanometres (0.00020 in) depending on filter type. "Particle filtration" removes particles of 1 micrometre (3.910−5 in) or larger. Microfiltration removes particles of 50 nm or larger. "Ultrafiltration" removes particles of roughly 3 nm or larger. "Nanofiltration" removes particles of 1 nm or larger. Reverse osmosis is in the final category of membrane filtration, "hyperfiltration", and removes particles larger than 0.1 nm.
Apparently RO films can get down to around one angstrom.

If you really need fluoride free water, and you would prefer not to have aluminum in it, I would recommend starting with rain water and working on cleaning that.
Old 07-11-2012, 19:18   #171
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Ladies! (Raku and Zee) please temper yourselves and stop pissing up each other's respective leg!
Old 07-11-2012, 20:25   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager
The Berkey with PF-2s leaves aluminum in your water. Also, many report that the berkey increases the total dissolved solids in the water that it "purifies."

Reverse osmosis does not remove Fluoride. Fluoride atoms are smaller in radius than H2O molecules. Think about it. ~.6 for Fluorine atom. vs. ~1.4 for H2O

From Wikipedia:

Apparently RO films can get down to around one angstrom.

If you really need fluoride free water, and you would prefer not to have aluminum in it, I would recommend starting with rain water and working on cleaning that.
I think the fluorine in water is in the form of sodium fluoride which is much larger. The Water Fixer removes chloride so may remove fluoride. I don't know but I will email them to check just for curiosity sake.

http://www.waterfixercompany.com/
Old 08-11-2012, 11:03   #173
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I think the fluorine in water is in the form of sodium fluoride which is much larger. The Water Fixer removes chloride so may remove fluoride. I don't know but I will email them to check just for curiosity sake.

Water Filters And Purifiers
Ask Tellie.
Old 08-11-2012, 19:14   #174

You mean CF Tellie? Or some new Ask Jeeves that I am not up on?? Or maybe your British and are asking me to watch television to see if a science show will give me the answer.
Old 09-11-2012, 17:18   #175
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
You mean CF Tellie? Or some new Ask Jeeves that I am not up on?? Or maybe your British and are asking me to watch television to see if a science show will give me the answer.
Yea, that's it. A science show.

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: