Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-11-2010, 11:24   #1

Boat: Aleutka 26' - Further
How to Work Our Oven

Our boat came with an old propane-powered oven that we are yet to figure out how to work. I believe the barely legible plate on the front lists the manufacturer as Richmond Ring Company. The stovetop is perfectly functional, but we can't figure out how to light the oven. There is a red button on the stove top that we believe is oven-related. If we remove a plate in the bottom of the oven we can also see a metal tube with a lot of holes which we assume is where the gas comes out. However, no combination of pushing the mystery button or holding a match to the metal tube produces a flame. We've never had a stove with an oven before, so we'd at least like to know for sure how it's supposed to work before we conclude that it's broken. Has anyone ever possessed a similar oven?

Old 17-11-2010, 11:33   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachellay View Post
Our boat came with an old propane-powered oven that we are yet to figure out how to work. I believe the barely legible plate on the front lists the manufacturer as Richmond Ring Company. The stovetop is perfectly functional, but we can't figure out how to light the oven. There is a red button on the stove top that we believe is oven-related. If we remove a plate in the bottom of the oven we can also see a metal tube with a lot of holes which we assume is where the gas comes out. However, no combination of pushing the mystery button or holding a match to the metal tube produces a flame. We've never had a stove with an oven before, so we'd at least like to know for sure how it's supposed to work before we conclude that it's broken. Has anyone ever possessed a similar oven?
Hi.... have you tried turning on the gas at the oven switch then pressing and holding the red button.... strike match and apply to burner... if your using the top there should be a minimum of air in the pipe and after a coupla seconds it should light...
If not I reckon your 'flame failure device' is knackered and needs replacing.... not a tough job if you can get the new thermo coupling for it....
Who knows, maybe a replacement part from another similar sized make/model could be utilised.... a lot cheaper than a new stove.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 11:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
On my stove you are supposed to light one of the burners on the range first, then start the gas flowing to the overn and light it. I don't think you have to do that though, it's just recommended as a saftey procedure. It might be worth a try a try though

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 12:12   #4
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Many older ovens had pilot lights that had to be lit for at least 30 seconds before the burner itself would come on. There is probably a thermocoupler that won't allow propane to flow to the burner until it's been made happy.
Old 17-11-2010, 12:57   #5

I think everyone has part of the answer. Remove the plate in the bottom of the over, press the red button and hold a flame to the gas burner which is under the plate. It often takes as long as a minute to light. When the pilot light turns blue, from yellow, then you can release the red button and turn the thermostat (which really isn't, it's just a dial) up and the burner will light. If you turn the dial off, the pilot light will stay lit so the next time you just need to turn the dial up. I don't leave my pilot lit because I am a worry wart, and the cabin gets hot. The only way to turn it off is to turn off the propane solenoid.
Old 19-11-2010, 12:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Ditto all the above, especially in re the time it takes to light the pilot. Helps to have a propane lighter meant for candles because a kitchen match may not burn long enough. In addition, it's probable the hole has rusted shut. Carefully ream it out. Another common problem, especially in propane refrigerators with the same lighting mechanism, is that wasps and spiders are attracted by the propane smell and may have webbed the opening. Not likely they got into your oven but if the boat sat unused a long time, they could have moved in.

Tags
oven

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: