Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 15:08   #1

How to determine if grill Regulator has gone bad?

The rectangular Magma on my new used 2010 boat keeps going out after cooking a few minutes or so. I can't tell if it's the wind or regulator. Is there a way to tell the difference? I suppose I could wait to grill on a windless day or cook in the garage. I don't want to spend $40 on a new regulator only to determine that the grill design is flawed.
Joe Deepwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 15:22   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: How to determine if grill Regulator has gone bad?

Is the tank full? I’ve seen those symptoms when the tank was low but not empty, but never had a problem like that with a regulator.

If it’s the simple type that screws on the tank maybe you could borrow one from a friend to try to see if it works better.
Old 03-02-2019, 15:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Is the tank full? I’ve seen those symptoms when the tank was low but not empty, but never had a problem like that with a regulator.

If it’s the simple type that screws on the tank maybe you could borrow one from a friend to try to see if it works better.
Yes tried new tanks.
Old 03-02-2019, 17:10   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Possibly a partially plugged jet at nozzle that sticks into burner.
Clean with a wire baggie tie or a welding torch tip cleaning tool. / Len
Old 03-02-2019, 17:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Thank you! I'll try it.
Old 03-02-2019, 17:42   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
+1. The regulators rarely go bad, its usually a clogged jet (installed in the body of the regulator).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 18:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
+1. The regulators rarely go bad, its usually a clogged jet (installed in the body of the regulator).
my experience tells me different I've had for Regulators go bad in one year and finally ditch the whole Grill. And of course the wind would blow it out easily
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
my experience tells me different I've had for Regulators go bad in one year and finally ditch the whole Grill. And of course the wind would blow it out easily
I've also had magma regulators fail. Or they would also frequently clog which can be fixed using the wire method described above. Best solution is to ditch magma.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:11   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

YMMV, but Ive had the same old round Magma party size grill for about 20 years, and maintained others on charter vessels, Ive rarely encountered a truly failed regulator (meaning diaphram is damaged or valve siezed), almost alawsys been a clogged jet.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:54   #10

Boat: 40' Ed Horstman Tristar Catamaran

Regulator diaphragms do go bad often. Usually you will smell propane leaking from the regulator. Not the symptoms described by the OP.
Pottasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:53   #11

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I read (somewhere) that manfacturers reckon on an 8 year life for regulators before problems start
i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Deepwater View Post
The rectangular Magma on my new used 2010 boat keeps going out after cooking a few minutes or so. I can't tell if it's the wind or regulator. Is there a way to tell the difference? I suppose I could wait to grill on a windless day or cook in the garage. I don't want to spend $40 on a new regulator only to determine that the grill design is flawed.
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:28   #12
Marine Service Provider

those damned things are very upset by a 15 knot breeze. I have had to do all kinds of tin foil contraptions over the vent at the bottom and top to keep them lit.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 15:14   #13

Boat: Fusion 40

I'm not clear whether you are talking about the regulator at the gas bottle or the regulator that turns the flame down on the BBQ.

I have had problems with the regulator at the gas bottle which had same issues that you describe as well as having reduced heat. There was a fine gauze filter on the inlet to the regulator which had been clogged but I didn't find this out until I'd replace the regulator.

The gas pressure can be easily tested by rigging a simple manometer from nylon tubing. Double it up and fill with water to level of 6" or higher. Flick with your finger to get all the air bubbles to come to the top. Connect one end to somewhere on your gas line. Note you will need to turn the BBQ on to get a representative reading. You should get a difference of 11" in your manometer.

Of course follow sensible safety precautions when dealing with LPG and above all don't attempt testing in an enclosed space.
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 19:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
I read (somewhere) that manfacturers reckon on an 8 year life for regulators before problems start
i
Right on time then!
Old 04-02-2019, 19:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post
I'm not clear whether you are talking about the regulator at the gas bottle or the regulator that turns the flame down on the BBQ.

I have had problems with the regulator at the gas bottle which had same issues that you describe as well as having reduced heat. There was a fine gauze filter on the inlet to the regulator which had been clogged but I didn't find this out until I'd replace the regulator.

The gas pressure can be easily tested by rigging a simple manometer from nylon tubing. Double it up and fill with water to level of 6" or higher. Flick with your finger to get all the air bubbles to come to the top. Connect one end to somewhere on your gas line. Note you will need to turn the BBQ on to get a representative reading. You should get a difference of 11" in your manometer.

Of course follow sensible safety precautions when dealing with LPG and above all don't attempt testing in an enclosed space.
Regulator at the gas bottle. I'll look for the gauze and see if I can get it clean, and use the wire first. Then buy a new regulator if needed.

Thanks so much for the responses!

Tags
Grill, regulator