Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-04-2011, 09:00   #61

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: How Often Do You Use Your Propane Oven ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I see eye to eye with you on a lot of items, but for me the microwave is just useless. Even when I lived on land I never used the thing. What are you microwaving on board?

I like my left overs cold, make popcorn in a pot, and don't have a freezer so nothing to defrost really.
To each their own...on my 3rd liveaboard and still think a microwave and a grill is all any man needs to survive. Women tend to like to make cooking a pleasure...most guys I know like food as a supplement to a beer.

I know...gross generalizations...but still true to a point in my world.

With the right techniques and tools....microwaves can cook a lot of different things and so can a good grill...they just tend to be less efficient than a god oven.

Old 24-04-2011, 11:39   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

there were microwaves on each of my boats when i acquired them--i ditched em pronto--nothing like a useless piece of nothingness taking up good space into which something else will fit nicely...dont like em wont use em and they are as good for me as is a leaking hot water heater... gone!
btw--it takes just as long to make microwave popcorn as it does to make GOOD popcorn in a decent pot.......meat tastes like hell when reheated in a microwave--i dono tmiss them at all-- but i havent used them in over 20 yrs..LOL...

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 16:18   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there were microwaves on each of my boats when i acquired them--i ditched em pronto--nothing like a useless piece of nothingness taking up good space into which something else will fit nicely...dont like em wont use em and they are as good for me as is a leaking hot water heater... gone!
btw--it takes just as long to make microwave popcorn as it does to make GOOD popcorn in a decent pot.......meat tastes like hell when reheated in a microwave--i dono tmiss them at all-- but i havent used them in over 20 yrs..LOL...
A lot of things have changed in 20 years...

I agree...not an end all...but in some people's opinions...some things actually tastenas good or better from the microwave, only take a few minutes to cook using a fraction of the energy, plus keep the heat down in the galley.

Definitely subjective depending on your diet and daily routine...but saying they are useless is like saying an engine is useless on a sailboat....some agree and some disagree...depends on how you live your cruising life.
Old 25-04-2011, 11:55   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

love it--- but an engine is not useless.. for me, a microwave is just that....i live my cruising life same as i live my life--is one and same... boat is home and method of transportation--one and same.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 12:08   #65

Quote:
love it--- but an engine is not useless.. for me, a microwave is just that....i live my cruising life same as i live my life--is one and same... boat is home and method of transportation--one and same.
All I am saying is that one man's treasure is another man's junk.

To the OP..no...I'm not paying for a propane oven...not enough time on the hook where I feel the need for an oven and the expense. A 2 burner propane top, microwave, grill and electric convection/microwave will do my 1 day in a marina/2 days at anchor lifestyle. A nice dutch oven and alternate means of warming meals I made while hooked to electricity will suffice.
Old 25-04-2011, 18:22   #66

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Bad news.... finally my oven seemed to have packed up. Flame does not say on, no matter how long I press the knob. The crew and me just discovered that baking scones is a really good morale booster for the guests and they love tea and scones every afternoon. (The crew doesn't eat them, she is the orang-utan, you see). Only last week I could not do them. Without drifting too much into the techincal aspects of this, does any of you oven buffs have electric stoves aboard? Which one? Any good?
Old 25-04-2011, 18:29   #67
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: How Often Do You Use Your Propane Oven ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
Bad news.... finally my oven seemed to have packed up. Flame does not say on, no matter how long I press the knob. The crew and me just discovered that baking scones is a really good morale booster for the guests and they love tea and scones every afternoon. (The crew doesn't eat them, she is the orang-utan, you see). Only last week I could not do them. Without drifting too much into the techincal aspects of this, does any of you oven buffs have electric stoves aboard? Which one? Any good?
All you need is a new flame failure device.... contact the maker for spares... piece of cake to fix..
As for Microwaves.... all that signifies to me is a Ma Bakers TV dinner fan.... Yuuk
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 18:47   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan
My ignitor wouldn't work & I found it had a tiny piece of paper towel on the igniter. I removed it & lit right up. Hope yours is that easy.
Old 25-04-2011, 19:01   #69

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Hey Boatman, thanks for the advice, unfortunately the makers went bust years ago and cannot get spares easily. I am worried about having bits replaced here in Asia. After all, it is gas and inside my 'home'...

g, I took the covers off and didn't find anything I could identify as wrong straight away. The safety device looks old and black but so it does in my relatively new barbecue. However, I will look again before buying anything else. Again, thanks.
Old 18-05-2011, 17:58   #70

Up here in NW Washington, we liveaboards (soon to be cruisers) bake nearly every day. We always have a batch a bread dough in the fridge waiting to be baked, homemade granola is a daily staple and gets baked up about weekly, cookies are a weekly occasion, and we love roasting baby potatoes to go with a nice steak dinner. As you may presume, we make nearly everything from scratch--too busy saving up the cruising kitty to go spend money on a good loaf of bread. Oh, yeah, and we are *foodies,* so just any ole' loaf of bread will do...therefore we spend time instead of money to get what we want. Our oven also has a broiler, which is great for browning frittatas in the morning and toasting bread, or melting grilled cheeses.

A side benefit up here in the cooler climes is that on baking days (which are nearly every day), we can turn off the cabin heater. Of course, this benefit I'm sure will be a detractor when we start cruising south.

So, to answer your question, we find our oven to be essential.

Sarah
Old 18-05-2011, 18:03   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...except maybe coffee cake.

Whip it up the night before, and stuff it raw into the oven. Sleep. At around 6:00, when nature calls, go out and light the oven. Go back to bed until the aroma yanks you back out into the galley.

Yum yum yum. And now the cabin is warm and smells great.
I absolutely adore making up (from scratch, of course!) a baked french toast or homemade cinammon rolls the night before and popping them in to bake in the morning, along with freshly ground french press coffee before the sun gets too warm.

Oh, and someone mentioned enchiladas??!! ESSENTIAL cruising food.
Old 20-06-2011, 05:49   #72

Boat: Bayfield 40

i'm a liveaboard and use the oven sometimes everyday ... and always at least 3-4 times a week. it adds a lot of variety to what you can cook. and trust me, brownies made on the stove top are just not the same (plus, having a extra storage spot for cooking gear comes in handy).
Old 20-06-2011, 06:26   #73
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

We launched 15 years ago and lived aboard "as our only home" for 12, covering tens of thousands of miles and > 20 countries...

We have a recessed, propane, two burner cook top ONLY, but no oven. We never missed having one at all! My wife can bake at will... bread, sweets, pizza, etc. using her "Dutch oven" sitting on top, a pan with "flame tamer", or the pressure cooker with pressure off.

We also never missed having a freezer. Our 2 cu/ft refrigerator is quite sufficient, and uses HALF the amps of a refrigerator/freezer. (We use 25 - 35 Ah/day)

On a similar subject. We found a microwave oven utterly unnecessary as well. We did use a "half Pint" one, for a short while, (when marina bound), but never took one cruising and never missed it when it was gone.

By going simple, small, and super energy efficient, we can have "most" of the comforts, while keeping our energy needs so low that we can remain 100% solar powered most of the time.

Enjoy the ride,
Mark
Old 20-06-2011, 20:08   #74

I use my oven a couple times a week but my husband is a former professional chef and I have a weakness for baked goods and cinnamon rolls in the AM. HATED not having an oven but if you don't really use an oven, I think it's a personal preference.
Old 25-06-2011, 05:04   #75

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Zeehag, I beg to differ. A microwave is very convenient. Much easier to make bacon and reheat cold coffee in a microwave. Good for popcorn too, or for steaming vegetables.

Tags
oven

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: