Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-03-2011, 08:06   #46

Re: How Often Do You Use Your Propane Oven ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...except maybe coffee cake.

Whip it up the night before, and stuff it raw into the oven. Sleep. At around 6:00, when nature calls, go out and light the oven. Go back to bed until the aroma yanks you back out into the galley.

Yum yum yum. And now the cabin is warm and smells great.
Recipe, please.
Yeast coffee cake?

Old 09-03-2011, 06:45   #47

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran

I enjoy baking and try to make a few items at the same time so as to use the oven economically - can't beat baked jacket potatoes in the oven and I prefer my bread to the shop bought Mediterranean bread!

I also make bread etc on the hob, using a large container as the oven and then placing a smaller container inside on a trivet. Less gas used and just as efficient.

When we had the boat fitted out, I changed the 240v microwave oven for
a 12 v version, so we are truly self sufficient!

I prefer not to use the oven for roasting (messy) and use it approx once a week/fortnight. A 6KG propane gas bottle lasts approx 2 months.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:25   #48
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Often Do You Use Your Propane Oven ?

Always makes me chuckle when I read
"I don't use my oven it gets to hot.."
"Cookings a Nightmare in the Tropics"...
there's amazing stuff thats a variety of colours thats quite nice and no cooking needed... its called salads..
Last August... the Cat I was delivering to Turkey had an F10 stove with oven...
I baked my own bread... in spite of temps reaching the low 40's by 11am...
I just did it in the cool of the morning.. can't beat warm bread n marmalade/marmite with your coffee to start the day...
Most of you lot seem to have air conditioners etc and still you moan... why bother going out there in the first place then if its out of your comfort zone... lol
"I love the sunshine but its so hot..."
"I love winters and the beautiful snow... but its to bloody cold..."
some folks just like complaining it seems...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 13:56   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
I enjoy baking and try to make a few items at the same time so as to use the oven economically - can't beat baked jacket potatoes in the oven and I prefer my bread to the shop bought Mediterranean bread!
Our boat is rather smallish so we do not keep too many pans. We found that if we bake our bread in a pan that was used to fry potatoes and veggies then we get ... pizza like bread. If we bake our bread after we baked sweet buns, then we get ... sweet like bread, etc..

So, forced by the hard laws of small boat economy we came to pretty amazing cuisine results ;-)

b.
Old 09-03-2011, 20:32   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entlie
We use our oven almost daily. Early morning before the hook is up, I'll turn on the oven while making coffee, prepare a quick scrambled egg burrito with cheese, sometimes some leftover steak, ham, whatever. Wrap in foil, put in oven. Turn oven off. Then once we're underway we have a nice hot breakfast in the cockpit while on the move. We use it for bread, pizza, chicken pot pie, Dutch baby pancake, kuchen, making granola...toasty nachos, the list goes on. Hardly ever use the microwave. Even in hot weather we use the oven, especially when anchored when we have better air circulation.

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Great idea!! We usually have PB & J... Which is good but yours sounds better!
Old 11-03-2011, 20:31   #51

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

Living aboard in San Diego I use our oven frequently 5-6 times a week. When it is not in use, I store pans in it. When we get to hotter climates I plan on using a solar oven on deck, but you couldn't pay me to live on a boat without an oven.

Well, you'd have to pay me A LOT.

I love to bake so an oven was essential to getting my arse on board.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2011, 23:47   #52

Boat: Canoe,One Person SailBoat

I would like to cook me Trukey at less two times a year, or Lassonay, but I was thanking of a Electric stove and oven and runing a presure controll valve on the head tank vent out let for a Natual gas stove best used in the tropics.
If I an keep a Freezer going.
Old 28-03-2011, 10:25   #53

Boat: Moody 46- NALANI

question for you guys. i have a SMEV oven. i love to bake but the problem is that the only flame is at the back bottom. Just a line of the flame. so whenever i try to bake only the side closest to the flame bakes. Are your ovens the same way and if so how do you account for it. Even though i have temperature control it doesn't get hotter than 325 degrees.
Old 28-03-2011, 12:12   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalani View Post
question for you guys. i have a SMEV oven. i love to bake but the problem is that the only flame is at the back bottom. Just a line of the flame. so whenever i try to bake only the side closest to the flame bakes. Are your ovens the same way and if so how do you account for it. Even though i have temperature control it doesn't get hotter than 325 degrees.
I do not know this type of Oven at all but most ovens have a Pilot light to start the center burner? so they heat the hole oven if this helps.

Or buget for a 120vac power bank and get a new oven.
Old 28-03-2011, 12:15   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
No one can answer that question for you. It all depends on how you cook.

I use my oven all the time. I think I bake and grill more on board than I do on land, in fact. But your own usage may be very different.

+1 on the above comment about microwave ovens. One of the most useful things you can have on board.
I see eye to eye with you on a lot of items, but for me the microwave is just useless. Even when I lived on land I never used the thing. What are you microwaving on board?

I like my left overs cold, make popcorn in a pot, and don't have a freezer so nothing to defrost really.
Old 28-03-2011, 15:49   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalani View Post
Oh, just bake it some one way then 'reverse' the pan.

Actually, as the hot air circulates inside, the other side bakes too, just slower. Hence the reversin' trick necessary.

b.
Old 28-03-2011, 16:14   #57

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

I use my oven sometimes, but mine is a bit of an old unit and I don't trust it completely. The pans inside are a bit bent and the flame control only gives me two settings: all or nothing. I cannot get spares as the company that made it went belly up years ago. Still, I have not replaced the cooker because I love the rings and hot plate at the top. Cannot find a replacement for that either. I am contemplating an electric oven, that I could even store inside the old swiveling one.... is this such a bad idea?
Old 28-03-2011, 20:07   #58
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

nalani-
Silly question, but have you contacted smev www.smev.com and asked them about your oven? Perhaps there is a diffuser plate missing, or a burner piece gone wrong? It sounds like you've got half an oven, maybe some plumbing is missing.
Old 28-03-2011, 21:22   #59

Boat: Farallon 25

My wife and I have lived on our boat for the last five months and I would not be injoying my wifes delicious enchaladas, pizza, coffee cake, chili relleano, etc, etc, etc, with out a oven on board. Though I must say that we never use our propane oven as we don't have one. Our stove and oven is alchohol.
Old 29-03-2011, 00:01   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeUSAindian View Post
I do not know this type of Oven at all but most ovens have a Pilot light to start the center burner? so they heat the hole oven if this helps.

Or buget for a 120vac power bank and get a new oven.
Now get can be one of your heat rods are burned out.
I am not aloud to fine the stove on the net and to give you it you must fined it your self or you will get me in to truble.

But I can say there are camp stove of propane with a oven just besure to use it on the deck.

Tags
oven

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: