Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-09-2005, 02:57   #16

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
boat stuff

I am in the process of adding a KISS. Never enough power. This will add to my power sources. Next paycheck I will add another 320 watts of solar. Our Bimini will carry it all with out then sticking out everywhere

Prices are from 2003-04 when I was outfitting the boat. I did spend a lot of time researching equipment, quality, prices, etc.

Solar panesl 4 120 Kyrocea under 2K. at the time they were one of the highest and most effiecent per watt.

RV Power products SB50 Mppt controller. This was about 400 with remote display.
Absloute must as it extracts more AMPs than PWM. Like adding another panel. Our 4 are rated to produce 28.4 AMPs peak. We regularly see 32 +, 4 amps found.

1/0 wiring and lugs. Over kill but we have long runs on a cat and I want to expand.

Water maker SK. 3000. They took superb care of us and very knowlegdeable and professional. Came with everything except the hose and thru hull.

There was some misc incedentals.

I reserached and installed all of my own equipment. Part of my desires is that anything added must look like it was built that way from the factory. I dislike things that look like they have been added as an after though, though the wind gen is giving me some greif.

Many people I have talked with are always concerned with price. I reserach and determine what is the best possible combonation and then look to see how it can be done with the least expense. Many cruisers we have talked with have cut corners and have been less than satisfied with their setups.

It is like buying tools. Buy the best to fit the job and 20 years later you will be still using them.

PS we are heading back to Bonaire Wed for 2 months.

sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:18   #17
Kai Nui

I have seen these units at boat shows. They have a good pitch, so it is nice to hear they work. We could fit 4 -120s on the deck of our mono, but they would be in the way. Still, there are other options. I am surprised you are getting that much efficiency from the panels, AND the watermaker.
As for cost, I have found that expensive things work well for a long time, and cheap things work well for a short time, but mid priced things work half assed for a while. I will always spend the extra money.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:14   #18

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Next paycheck--right

Since we have installed our solar panels 24 volt 190's have become avalaible. They are a bit pricey at the moment as the are still new. But I like the output and the fact the foot print is not much larger.

Our controller will take the 24 and convert to 12 volt so there is some opportunity to add more amps. Even if you are 12 volt boat take a look at the larger 24's. There is a good chance to gain more output for the same footprint.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 19:43   #19
Kai Nui

And... Higher voltage means less corrosion. Sounds like a good deal to me. You also touched on a very important point, wire guage. So many owner designed systems and even a few proffessionaly built systems have insufficient wire guage, and a lot of power is lost there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: