Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 12:22   #31

Re: How Important is it to Have a Stove With an Oven Gimballed?

At least 2 burners would be real nice. If you dont have an oven, I wouldnt worry about it. Most my boats had them, and they got minimal use actually. Too hot in the tropics to use one. Certainly not enough to justify spending a few thousand to put one in if they hadnt come with the boat. There's not much you can do in an oven you cant do in a big fry cooker or pressure cooker....
Others differ with me but for at anchor, My stove was most often latched like a non gimballed. Sure a big powerboat wake could give you a big roll.. ....I'm not sure the gimbal would evade a spill though, sure the stove swings, but wildly sometimes!
You learn to work around whatever you have.,..

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 12:23   #32

How's bread work in a pressure cooker? Can you do it?
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 13:36   #33

Has anyone tried one of these things?

Stove Top Baking
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 13:59   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
I have a relatively small boat (A Pearson Triton, 28.5). Currently I have a little gimballed two burner that is marginally usefull.

I'm wondering about going to a non-gimballed 2 or 3 burner with oven (non-gimballed for space and simplicity) and for underway a gimballed one burner, something like a sea-swing or the like, either with a propane line or with propane tanks.

What do you think? I hadn't pondered that the gimballing might be usefull at anchor though. The Triton can be a bit tender and can definitely get rolled if someone comes by and makes a big wake (********!). I think if I went gimballed I might lose the oven, but maybe not. Currently my 2 burner doesn't accept pots of any real size.
Gimbaling in my view is primarily to handle the heeling issue in sail boats. Which is why it's rare in Mobos. With good potholders, a non gimballed stove is fine in all other situations. I've cooked on many mobos stoves at anchor

Dave
Old 24-10-2013, 14:25   #35

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: How important is a stove with an oven and gimballed question

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

I would rather go cruising in a boat without nav instruments than in one without proper galley with oven.

b.
Totally agree, whatever that means for your own personal cooking preferences.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 14:35   #36

Gimaballing's kinda funny. If you have it and you don't use it, it seems to be overkill. But that ONE time you could use it...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 14:42   #37

Boat: Homebuilt Paddlewheeler, 36'

You know, this is going to seem like a "well, thank you captain obvious" post, but how much do you bake? We make bread, especially at dock, at least twice a week, and being serious foodies, the hearth and oven get a workout. If all you do is boil water for ramen and fry up some flounder, it seems a waste. If you cook, by all means, the stove is a must.
wildshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 14:56   #38

Quote:

Stove Top Baking

I won one of The Boat Galley's contests for one, and IIRC I wrote about how the OMNIA worked right'chere in this forum
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 16:43   #39

Quote:
I've heard it works well .... especially if you like your bread without to hard a crust,.....but havent tried it.
On a boat your size it wouldnt be unusual to have a stove without an oven. As mentioned, if you're the type to make your own bread all the time... then maybe you want it. I've found most boat ovens to be terrible at what they are supposed to do... probably takes some time to ge the knack of your particular oven...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 17:07   #40

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by summercamp View Post
... I am looking at newer options in propane and am debating a cooktop or stove with oven. The oven of course is more expensive. Maybe I should take that money and invest in a grill and stick with a cooktop...

Thanks!
I like my gimbaled oven and cook-top and wish it had a broiler. I chose to buy a cheap mini propane grill instead of a marine quality one and just stow it in a locker.
Old 24-10-2013, 17:53   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
I won one of The Boat Galley's contests for one, and IIRC I wrote about how the OMNIA worked right'chere in this forum
Could you link it? Search didn't come up with anything, but it's the basic search on the iPhone app.

We're very curious if this thing actually works well.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 17:54   #42

Boat: HR 31 Monsun

Quote:

Stove Top Baking
Yes they are well worth the money I have cooked a roast in them and baked cakes. I don't have an oven and only two burners.
paralog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 17:57   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Most of the time I use my stove/oven with the gimbals locked, probably 90-95 percent of the time. But when I need it the gimbals sure is nice.

BTW, My 3 burner stove oven is an RV type converted to gimbal with a latch on the door, fiddles and a gimbal lock. Its only 40 years old. Though I expect its gotten a lot more use in the last 6 years, then the previous 34 years. When it finally goes, I'll replace it with another RV 3 burner stove/oven converted to be swinging. RV stoves are about 1/3 the price of marine stoves.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 00:27   #44

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Mine is 40 years old too. A beautiful 1970s Orange enamel.
Old 25-10-2013, 04:52   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
I bake bread and cakes in my pressure cooker and they come out very well.

Bread
Make your dough as normal. After the first rise knock the dough back, knead for a short time and place directly into a large, well-oiled saucepan/pressure cooker/flameproof casserole dish. Allow to dough to double in size. IF USING A PRESSURE COOKER MAKE SURE THE GASKET AND WEIGHT ARE REMOVED. Lid must be on. Place pan on the smallest burner using the highest flame for five minutes. Then turn the flame as low as it will go and cook for 25-30 minutes. Turn bread out, replace in pan upside down and return to heat for 5-10 minutes more to brown the top.

Cakes
Make cake as usual, place in a tin that will fit inside pressure cooker/large pan/flameproof casserole dish. Place the cake tin on a trivet inside the pan, put lid on. NO GASKET AND WEIGHT FOR PCs. Place on smallest burner with highest flame for 5 minutes and then turn down to lowest flame for rest of cooking time. Cakes take longer than oven to bake this way, check with a skewer to see when it is cooked. I find that the average Victoria sponge will take approx 50 minutes but I check now and then from 30 minutes baking time.

I bake all our bread this way now, the results are better than using my oven which has hotspots. I've successfully produced chocolate sponge, Victoria sponge, sultana cake, coffee and walnut cake and carrot cake using this method.

I have an old aluminium pressure cooker that I can no longer get sparss for that I keep for stove top baking.

Tags
oven